• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
I sincerely disagree with his comments regarding contraction. If teams were forced to spend their own money on stadiums and weren't granted TIF status, they would not be making money. I completely agree that if a team is able to stand on its own, there is zero reason to contract it based on wins and losses.

If a team can't afford to build its own stadium, it should die.

ToxicAdam

If Yu has talent, he will roll through the league his first season, then teams will begin to pick him apart. Then it comes down to ... can he adjust? Most can't, few do. That's why most of those foreign exchange pitchers look like shit towards the end of their deal.

Alright MLB-GAF. Let's get some serious opinions in here.

Is Yu Darvish going to be the godsend the Rangers need for pitching?

82vMg.jpg

Also, going with B for the trivia question. Feel like Maris didn't win two MVPs.

Also also, that trivia show starts on MLB Network tomorrow night. I figure after a month of shows I might actually retain something!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Thank Christ Willie Harris is finally gone from the NL East. Reds signed him to a minor league deal. He always kills the Braves in clutch spots.
.305/.427/.475 in 65 games vs the Braves. He must have a man in white at Turner Field.

no. He'll probably be a good mlb pitcher but I don't think he'll be one of the top pitchers in baseball.

McNei1y

It's time for the latest installment of Jon's Page-a-Day Trivia Extravaganza!

Question 10 from the weekend page:

Which players won two MVP awards in the 1960s?

A) Willie Mays and Hank Aaron
B) Willie Mays and Frank Robinson
C) Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris
D) Roger Maris and Frank Robinson

B, I think I'm wrong. I know Frank Robinson is one of the guys.

What a boring day twitter. Give me some more rumors!

Jon

Yu Darvish better be a godsend--I'm looking to draft him early in my fantasy league! I have to prove my 2nd place finish last year wasn't just a fluke.

And now, time for the answer to the trivia question:

I guessed B myself, but the answer, unfortunately, is D. Maris won back-to-back MVP awards in 1960 (39 home runs, 112 RBIs) and 1961, when he set the record for home runs. Frank Robinson won the award with the Reds in 1961. In 1966, he was the Triple Crown winner with 49 homers, 122 RBIs and a .316 average, leading Baltimore to a World Championship.

Congrats to Windu, Eznark, SuperMalo, Vargas, Madtown and S2F for getting it right. I'll catch you guys tomorrow with another question.

bryehn

I think he's going to have it rough in Texas for at least a couple years, with the blistering heat and relatively small park. Gonna take time to adjust coming from a giant, climate-controlled dome. How he handles "failure" (or at least having a 2.00+ ERA) will be the biggest factor in his long term success in my opinion.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Yu Darvish better be a godsend--I'm looking to draft him early in my fantasy league! I have to prove my 2nd place finish last year wasn't just a fluke.

And now, time for the answer to the trivia question:

I guessed B myself, but the answer, unfortunately, is D. Maris won back-to-back MVP awards in 1960 (39 home runs, 112 RBIs) and 1961, when he set the record for home runs. Frank Robinson won the award with the Reds in 1961. In 1966, he was the Triple Crown winner with 49 homers, 122 RBIs and a .316 average, leading Baltimore to a World Championship.

Congrats to Windu, Eznark, SuperMalo, Vargas, Madtown and S2F for getting it right. I'll catch you guys tomorrow with another question.
i shall watch 61* again in honor of my victory.

For trivia I'll go with
D

And I still follow klaw on Twitter, but he's just a massive tool.

Edit: SHIT I thought I had until 5! haha

McNei1y

Godsend as in once in a chance talent like Halladay/Verlander? No. I think he'll be a very damn good pitcher though. I think his first season, infact his first few months, will be shaky. Then he'll start dominating.

i shall watch 61* again in honor of my victory.

Excellent movie. I wish I still had that dvd laying around.

Jon

Haha Cajole, I will give you the benefit of the doubt, I did post it a little early today. Figured I might not have time due to overall business.

Sanjuro

Maybe I should go to an away game in Toronto. Me and Doytch can talk how awesome the DH is over wine and hot dogs w/mustard.

Doytch

Maybe I should go to an away game in Toronto. Me and Doytch can talk how awesome the DH is over wine and hot dogs w/mustard.

Dagger, bro. I'm in Raleigh now. =(

Though I'll pencil you in when I come to Boston for the 2013 Marathon.

Woooo, Sickels says we have Number One Farm! I still can't get over the mindblowingretardness that entered my head when I was listening to the Zaun interview on PTS last week when he bagged on the farm system saying something to the effect of "ehhhhhh, they're not that great." And I love listening to Zaunie.

Jon

Do it! I had a lot of fun in Toronto last year. Well worth the trip. This year, I'm just going to spend the weekend in Baltimore, go to two of the three games. But Canada was pretty cool...as long as you avoid Tim Hortons. FFS, Doytch, I don't know how you guys eat that shit. The donuts are so sweet...like, absurdly sweet.

Doytch

I quit Tims years ago. I'm a coffee snob so that wasn't hard, and I wanted to stop being a fatass... However, was out on Saturday, and an Indian dude was telling me how in love he was with Tims' donuts after a vacation in Toronto.

Speaking of vacations, I know I'm going to NYC to watch a few games and shop this summer, but I have to go to either DC or Chicago to take care of some Czech embassy shiz. I've already been to Cubs/Natinals games, so is it worth going to Chicago for the White Sox? Keep in mind I can drive to DC, have to fly to Chicago. This is gonna be in April too, so it won't even be that good weather.

Sanjuro

I keep forgetting you are down there, Doytch.

Jon, Baltimore is a pretty amazing place to go to a ballgame. It's the closest thing I've come to a quarantined zone and is the first place I have been told "Stay away from the black people."

There are a few hotels, nice restaurants, and one road which heads down past a convention center which leads too some franchise bars and grills. Other than that you are kind of stuck within quarter mile radius (at the most) of the ballpark. I took a boat ride to another section of town which I believe was the older (possibly still current?) downtown section which had some FANTASTIC bars and neat shops.

Flying in there is incredibly cheap and easy to get to the ballpark area. Great for a weekend series.

Doytch

Damn that sounds pretty good Sanjuro, I might just drive through DC to take care of my stuff and spend the weekend in Baltimore. Haven't been there yet. Too bad the Jays don't have a weekend series there in April.

I keep forgetting you are down there, Doytch.

Jon, Baltimore is a pretty amazing place to go to a ballgame. It's the closest thing I've come to a quarantined zone and is the first place I have been told "Stay away from the black people."

There are a few hotels, nice restaurants, and one road which heads down past a convention center which leads too some franchise bars and grills. Other than that you are kind of stuck within quarter mile radius (at the most) of the ballpark. I took a boat ride to another section of town which I believe was the older (possibly still current?) downtown section which had some FANTASTIC bars and neat shops.

Flying in there is incredibly cheap and easy to get to the ballpark area. Great for a weekend series.

The stadium is super close to Federal Hill which is the yuppie part of Baltimore, which is fairly safe, also, lot of young people and a good bar scene.

I have an uncle down in Baltimore, soo I've been trying to go to a game. This season might be it. Would be cool to go to other stadiums out of NY.

eznark

Banned
Holy shit what a ridiculously shitty argument against the DH. I don't like it and they have to work hard. I had no idea Keith Law was so intellectually bankrupt.

And I still follow klaw on Twitter, but he's just a massive tool.
I just follow him for his board game insight

Sanjuro

I took the more "scenic" route on a trip to Virginia where we took some of the backroads. It's the only place I've ever seen blue police lights on the street lights to simulate a police presence.

For a trip to see a game featuring your team? Probably one of the best and most affordable trips to make. Absolutely love going there.

I'm on OSX again lately. I should check out that podcast series. I haven't subscribed to any in years.

McNei1y

I have an uncle down in Baltimore, soo I've been trying to go to a game. This season might be it. Would be cool to go to other stadiums out of NY.

I've only been to three stadiums (four if you count RFK) and those were/are Nats Park, PNC, and Camden Yards. I know that I may never fall in love with another park after I visited/revisit Camden Yards. I love that park.

Radio host Dan Patrick said on his Monday morning show that he learned from "somebody involved in this" that Ryan Braun is likely to win his appeal and avoid any suspension. This source also told Patrick that Braun's positive test had nothing to do with a personal medical issue. A rumor began circulating that Braun's positive test was triggered by medication for Herpes, something Patrick's source completely denied.

"Ryan Braun may be exonerated here," Patrick said. "He may be found innocent. And judging from all the information I was given about what happened with Braun's first test, he should be found innocent."

This would mark the first time in history that a Major League player has ever won an appeal for a positive drug test since testing began in 2004.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Cashman just called Montero an everyday catcher and a hitter on par with Miguel Cabrera.

So the Yankees traded the best player in MLB history for Pineda :lol

LJ11

My buddies do it every year, Yankee fans, I've gone the last two years. Totally worth it, really cool stadium. These dudes always get pies from this local spot, good stuff, forgot the name though.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Hey jman, when you get the chance login to 2OR and upgrade your center fielder by tonight's sims. Somehow we managed to get to the final championship series. ;P

jman2050

Hey jman, when you get the chance login to 2OR and upgrade your center fielder by tonight's sims. Somehow we managed to get to the final championship series. ;P

Sorry, took care of it. I'm still biding my time until they get WBL et al up and running so I've been sort of lax as far as keeping up with my players unfortunately.

Cashman just called Montero an everyday catcher and a hitter on par with Miguel Cabrera.

So the Yankees traded the best player in MLB history for Pineda :lol

Was Cashman trying to hold back an amused snicker while saying all this?

eznark

Banned
This would mark the first time in history that a Major League player has ever won an appeal for a positive drug test since testing began in 2004.
What a hilarious sentence. THE FIRST TIME IN HISTORY (which amounts to 7 years)

bluemax

Banned
Michael Pineda said:
I’m feeling great and I’m beyond excited. I never thought I would become a New York Yankee so early into my career. This is the best thing in the world. Pitching alongside CC Sabathia, I’m speechless. And playing alongside players such as Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter is unbelievable.

Fuck you Pineda.

Oh well, at least I have this now:

407157_10150554334563979_33054718978_8936694_706396232_n.jpg

Jays sign Brandon Morrow for 3 years and OMAR VIZQUEL to a 1 year deal might be done soon

Haha horribly beaten

2 players over 40 on the Jays, wtf

Malo

Banned
Fuck you Pineda.

Oh well, at least I have this now:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/407157_10150554334563979_33054718978_8936694_706396232_n.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I hate you :/

[quote="jman2050, post: 34514669"]That is some hilarious wording right there.[/QUOTE]
Its almost as if he expected to become a Yankee at some point in his career.

:jnc

jman2050

I'm laughing at the Red Sox, which obviously means they will win 103 games and the world series this season.

But I'll still laugh while I still can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom