• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToxicAdam

What fuck you guys blabbering about? Comparing Little Ceasars it to Dominos, Papa Johns, Pizza Hut is sacrilegious to you? It's really all the same shit.

Even among shit, there is a pecking order. Even the frozen pizzas, there are clearly some that taste better than others.

I don't know how anyone could eat Papa Johns or Pizza Hut and say it's on par with Little Ceasers.

i'm still going to try the one that just opened up near my girlfriend's house but I don't know... bet the sauce tastes like sugar or something....

No, it's just bland tomato paste that they blast with spices.

RBH

The Braves have set a player payroll budget of $94 million for this year, leaving them with several million dollars still to spend, the team’s chairman and CEO said.

Terry McGuirk, in a wide-ranging interview with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution in his Turner Field office, also said team owner Liberty Media has expressed no intention of selling the club in the near future.

And on another significant note, McGuirk disclosed that the Braves are locked into 25-year local TV contracts that will prevent the franchise from cashing in on Major League Baseball’s trend toward dramatically higher telecast rights fees.

The issues of payroll, ownership and TV rights are integral to the business of the Braves or any major professional sports franchise. Here is more of what McGuirk had to say about those topics:

Payroll

McGuirk defended the Braves’ payroll, which ranks near the middle among MLB teams and has drawn sharp criticism from some fans during an off-season that has seen the team make no major acquisitions.

He said the Braves have “a little over $90 million right now” committed toward 2012 salaries and will reach the previously undisclosed $94 million budget, up slightly from last year, with acquisitions before or during the season.

“We will be spending 94 this year,” he said. “We’ve got a lot of young guys to look at in spring training. There are still decisions to be made.”

McGuirk said a $94 million payroll is the maximum amount supported by the Braves’ projected revenue, contending the team will operate at that level with “no profitability, no free cash flow.” The Braves ranked 15th in MLB in attendance last season, about the same as in payroll.

McGuirk acknowledged that a $94 million payroll “will look more like $84 million in actual players on the ground” because the team will pay $10 million toward pitcher Derek Lowe’s salary, even though Lowe — ineffective last season — was traded to the Cleveland Indians in October.

McGuirk made no apologies for the Braves’ payroll, which was barely half as large as NL East winner Philadelphia’s last season, or for their absence in recent years from competing for top-dollar free agents.

“I think this team is on a glide path where it has the ability with all our youth to be good for a long period of time, continue to raise enthusiasm in Atlanta and drive revenue and allow us to spend more on the team,” he said.

“In a way, I almost relish when one of our competitors goes in the free-agent market because it’s so inefficient and such a bad use of dollars,” he added. “You almost never get the value out of a free-agent market expense. We all have limited dollars to spend, so if someone in wasting those dollars in a competitive situation, it helps us.”

McGuirk said the Braves remain deeply rooted in their philosophy of building through the minor-league system.

“I think that is part of what the quiet this winter reflects — a real confidence in our minor-league system,” he said. “I wouldn’t trade our young people for any team’s youth corps. I think the state of the franchise is extremely positive.”

Ownership

Liberty Media’s 2007 purchase of the Braves — a deal driven by its tax benefits for the Colorado-based conglomerate — included a commitment not to sell the team for at least 4 1/2 years. That pledge, made to MLB as a condition of its approval of the unusual transaction, expired in December, freeing Liberty to sell the Braves whenever it chooses.

But McGuirk said, “We talk all the time, and there’s just no indication whatsoever of a sale. They are very satisfied with the ownership. It’s no secret that part of the purchase had to do with a much larger tax-based deal, but there’s just no need to sell.”

As part of its 2007 deal with MLB, Liberty agreed not to have an operating role in the team, designating McGuirk as what MLB calls the franchise’s “control person.”

McGuirk indicated that Liberty, like many owners of sports teams, accepts the lack of cash flow in the expectation that the franchise’s value will rise over time.

“We do exist in a world where if you operate this way for a few years and if you were to sell the team, it does seem to be worth more,” McGuirk said. “Exactly why is an unknown, but it’s part of the economic system.

“You certainly take a chance when you deploy the amount of money it takes to own a franchise and you don’t make money during the time you own it. You better be fairly certain you’re building the franchise in a credible way so it will potentially be worth more.”

Liberty is a publicly traded company, and McGuirk acknowledged that can make for a fluid situation.

“It’s hard to predict, but there’s no pressure [to sell],” McGuirk said. “Public companies, when they do poorly, have different pressures. Liberty has done extremely well and is a very successful company. ... Public companies are public companies, but there’s nothing to indicate that any sale could be happening in the near future.”

TV rights

A big story in the business of baseball this winter has been the rapidly rising rights fees for local telecasts of games. The Angels’ and Rangers’ recent TV mega-deals were credited for those teams’ expensive acquisitions of free agent first baseman Albert Pujols and Japanese pitcher Yu Darvish, respectively.

McGuirk expects the trend to continue, but said the Braves will not be in position to benefit from it in the next two decades.

“Whenever old [TV] deals are up and new deals get realized, there are big jumps in value. I have predicted that, knew it was coming,” McGuirk said. “And I think we have an undervalued local rights [deal].

“That being said, we inherited a deal that was done under [previous owner Turner Broadcasting/Time Warner] a little over four years ago, before the sale, that lasts out through 25 years. So there is no opportunity for a different deal than the one we have. Every single set of games on the different networks that we are seen on [Fox Sports South, SportSouth and Peachtree TV] are all 25-year deals or thereabouts.”

McGuirk said the deals call for “cost-of-living type increases” each year, but contain no options for renegotiation.

“They were at-market deals when they were done, but the market has changed,” he said. “We will have to look elsewhere for the increases that we will need in revenue to continue to build this franchise. It’s what the owners at the time decided to do, so we have to live with it. ... It’s nothing to be ashamed of, but it’s not going to be these newer deals where there is cash up front.”

Asked if the TV contracts will be a competitive disadvantage for the Braves over the next two decades, McGuirk said: “Let’s just say it won’t be an advantage.”
http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-braves/terry-mcguirk-discusses-braves-1317388.html

The Royals still have four on the list, not bad considering that's all "wave 2", and the crazy good farm system they were talking about this time last year have now mostly been called up.

Also, Little Caesars was so good when I was a kid in the late 80's. They had that thing where they'd wrap paper around a big cardboard sleeve with two pizzas in it. Then at some point between then and now, they turned into kind of a worse-than-foodcourt kind of thing. They're so bad now.

verbum

The Atlanta Rays? Since they are not going the free agent route, how about more spending on the draft and international markets? From reading various sources and listening to various pod casts, I get the impression the Braves have pulled back on the international scouting the last 2 years.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes I just want to eat really crappy pizza, and Little Caesars fills that niche. The trick is don't go in and get a Hot-n-Ready Pizza. Order something that doesn't sit in the heating rack. If you do, you'll get a fresh pizza and that's much better. Still, there's this crappy place that's in town that's a hundred times better than Little Caesars, and I would rather eat their crappy 'za.

Sanjuro

Even among shit, there is a pecking order. Even the frozen pizzas, there are clearly some that taste better than others.

I don't know how anyone could eat Papa Johns or Pizza Hut and say it's on par with Little Ceasers.

No, it's just bland tomato paste that they blast with spices.
I don't see how you can say one is drastically better than another. Pizza Hut serves me cold pizza from a pan. Dominos, Papa Johns, and Ceasars are damn near identical. I like their Crazy bread over the alternatives. In the end they are all cheap solutions for a meal to pick up when driving home.

Locally we have Papa Ginos chain which is better. The Upper Crust has damn fantastic pizza around the hub. It's just a matter of convenience and price.

I used to eat Ellio's like crazy as a kid. Loved that stuff.

Was Ellio's an East coast thing? Anyone else ever have it?

I love Ellio's pizza. I used to eat it all the time when I was in college.

That Brave's guy sounds really out of touch. You dont have to spend like crazy to win a WS, but you have to have the flexibility to go out into free agency and get that missing piece from time to time. The idea that big money FAs never pan out is silly, the Phils are no where near as good last year without Cliff Lee. The Yankees dont win in 2009 without CC and Tex. Even the Cardinals last year signed Berkman and they had re-signed Matt Holliday to a big FA contract the year before.

Lil Caesars is awful. I'd rather eat frozen supermarket pizza.

It's not that bad (though that's more a knock on frozen pizza than a compliment to Caesar's). Those Hot & Ready pizzas are good for the first 20 minutes or so. For five bucks they're a viable choice in the price-range (next to a fast-food combo meal or something, eg).

Sanjuro

Sometimes I just want to eat really crappy pizza, and Little Caesars fills that niche. The trick is don't go in and get a Hot-n-Ready Pizza. Order something that doesn't sit in the heating rack. If you do, you'll get a fresh pizza and that's much better. Still, there's this crappy place that's in town that's a hundred times better than Little Caesars, and I would rather eat their crappy 'za.
Yeah, I called in an order. I mean I've had Little Ceasars now once in a span of twenty years, so I'm by no means a regular. I heard it mentioned yesterday and there was one near the bookstore I was heading to.

People who substitute barbecue sauce for the marinara are the scum of the earth!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
ugh at that tv deal. Seems like a static amount Per year if they are talking about cost of living increases too. That is going to be a huge problem for the braves going foward. And wtf at no opt outs or the ability to renegotiate.

Thank You Time Warner.

Edit: capitol avenue club has a analysis of the interview btw and tells us how bad the braves got screwed (or didn't care) with that horrible shitty fucking tv deal.

Maxim726X

The Atlanta Rays? Since they are not going the free agent route, how about more spending on the draft and international markets? From reading various sources and listening to various pod casts, I get the impression the Braves have pulled back on the international scouting the last 2 years.

It would be scary to see the Braves with a big payroll... Since they actually know how to draft.

Maxim726X

He looked really good at the end of last season. I was hoping the Phils would bring him back. If he is healthy that is a good signing.

I would go as far to say a steal.

If he gets hurt, only 1 million invested. If he's healthy, he could be great.

Nats are going to be pretty good this season.

bluemax

Banned
Jesus Montero will wear #63 for the Mariners. I guess he will never be a true Mariner with a number like that.

Lil Caesars is awful. I'd rather eat frozen supermarket pizza.

The Lil Caesars in my neighborhood does massive business. I always see families walking around with boxes from there.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Brad Lidge is a National, for 1 Million$ with incentives.

@washingnats

The #Nats have agreed to terms with reliever Brad Lidge. I will have more on http://MLB.com.
Twins to trade Miguel Sano to the Nationals for Brad Lidge at the deadline.

They're paying Capps five times this. If they'd just been more patient, they could've likely signed Lidge & Oswalt for what they're paying Capps & Jason Marquis. God dammit.

I guess Little Caesars in Georgia never got the memo to be awful. It's seriously the best chain pizza I've ever had in my life. Nothing else is even close.

RBH

ugh at that tv deal. Seems like a static amount Per year if they are talking about cost of living increases too. That is going to be a huge problem for the braves going foward. And wtf at no opt outs or the ability to renegotiate.

Thank You Time Warner.

Edit: capitol avenue club has a analysis of the interview btw and tells us how bad the braves got screwed (or didn't care) with that horrible shitty fucking tv deal.

Man, reading the analysis from CAC really puts things into perspective.

Looks like we may have to get used to the Braves being in the bottom portion of the league in terms of payroll for quite awhile.

Jon

It's time for Jon's Page-a-Day Trivia Extravaganza!

Question 12:

Which Red Sox hurler owns the record for wins in a season?

A) Smoky Joe Wood
B) Roger Clemens
C) Babe Ruth
D) Cy Young

Sanjuro, pressure is on you man!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

Question 12:

A) Smoky Joe Wood
B) Roger Clemens
C) Babe Ruth
D) Cy Young

A?

rekameohs

Banned

Question 12:

A) Smoky Joe Wood
B) Roger Clemens
C) Babe Ruth
D) Cy Young

Hah, I actually had a trivia question like this one recently! It's
A.

verbum

Man, reading the analysis from CAC really puts things into perspective.

Looks like we may have to get used to the Braves being in the bottom portion of the league in terms of payroll for quite awhile.

It will be hard to keep prospects coming up every five years for each position when the best players hit FA or arbitration.

The more I read and hear about the AOL-Time Warner merger, the more I realize how bad it was. And the madder I get at Ted Turner for selling the Braves to Time Warner in the first place. He got his money, he got Jane Fonda, and he got buffaloes in Montana so I guess the Braves and MLB were not important to him at the time.

Question 12:

A) Smoky Joe Wood
B) Roger Clemens
C) Babe Ruth
D) Cy Young

A

Edit: Tigers introducing Prince now...On ESPN/MLBN

McNei1y

Twins to trade Miguel Sano to the Nationals for Brad Lidge at the deadline.

They're paying Capps five times this. If they'd just been more patient, they could've likely signed Lidge & Oswalt for what they're paying Capps & Jason Marquis. God dammit.

Fucking ex-nats are killing you!

So what are they gonna do with Clippard? I thought he would be the set up man

I think Clippard would be the set up man and Lidge will be the 7th inning guy but either way, they both can fill that role so it doesn't matter. I'm just glad that we may potentially have another inning secured with a good pitcher. When I say that, I'm talking about how our bullpen was a freaking mess between innings 4-7.

Malo

Banned
Leyland just confirmed that Miggy is going to play third base.

Their corner infield defense is going to be so bad.

The Dodgers said they offered Prince Fielder a 7-year, $162 million deal that was front-loaded with an opt-out after four seasons. The Dodgers deal would have paid Fielder $23 million for the first four seasons, and $20 million for the last three seasons.

hemtae

Question 12:

A) Smoky Joe Wood
B) Roger Clemens
C) Babe Ruth
D) Cy Young

A

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Their corner infield defense is going to be so bad.
It's not like Peralta or Raburn are wizards with the leather, either. Boesch & _elmon are poor and putrid in the field, respectively. Defense has always seemed to bite the Tigers in the ass in seasons past. I wouldn't be shocked if it does this season.

Jon

Time for the answer to the question:

The answer was...A. Wood won 34 games and lost 5 in 1912. Young, who finished with 511 career wins, is the only other Boston pitcher to win 30 (33 in 1901 and 32 in 1902).

Congrats to everyone today. I will be taking a short hiatus as I will be at a conference for the next couple of days, but expect the questions back on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom