• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

h3ro

I'm so ready for Pitchers and Catchers to report.

I'm mildly surprised the Sox weren't in on Oswalt. Thought they would want the added depth he'd bring. Guessing he either isn't 100%, causing the Sox to step out or Cards deal was better money-wise. Staying in the NL doesn't hurt either.

Sanjuro

I'm so ready for Pitchers and Catchers to report.

I'm mildly surprised the Sox weren't in on Oswalt. Thought they would want the added depth he'd bring. Guessing he either isn't 100% or Cards deal was better. Staying in the NL doesn't hurt either.

We were in on Oswalt, he just has no interest in coming here. For a guy still looking for that last big contract, going to the AL (not to mention the AL East) just wouldn't make sense for his numbers.

h3ro

We were in on Oswalt, he just has no interest in coming here. For a guy still looking for that last big contract, going to the AL (not to mention the AL East) just wouldn't make sense for his numbers.

Agreed. Lineups are insane in this division.

I wanna know what magic Canadian boli Bautista is using so we can procure some for Alex.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Buster Olney
Source: Bidding on Dodgers now north of $1.2 billion, and counting.

Well guess that eliminates Cuban as the unknown 4th bidder.

Was he? I haven't been paying much attention.

It's pretty pathetic that McCourt is going to make out like a bandit after all of this. Expected but still disappointing.

And on top of all that, won't he still own the parking lot and other properties around the stadium? Or is that all being included now?

ST. LOUIS -- Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak denied on Saturday that a deal is in the works with Roy Oswalt, as reports swirled that the club is close to a contract with the veteran free-agent right-hander.

Multiple reports have suggested that the club is at least seriously in the running for a pitcher who has been a longtime rival. MLB Network Radio reported Friday night that a deal was very close, and ESPNBoston.com reported that night that Oswalt has "elected to stay in the National League" and that he is "likely" to sign with the Cardinals "soon." Still, as of midday Saturday, no deal was completed.

Reached by email, Mozeliak wrote that reports were "not true," but did not elaborate. Another club official indicated that no transactions seemed to be imminent for the Cardinals.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120128&content_id=26497090&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

stupid sports media getting my hopes up

What price would that be? Because it doesn't look like the Cards owner is willing to go over $110 million before the season starts so they probably aren't offering much more than $5 million to Oswalt. I'm pretty sure the Rangers are willing to offer more so unless the rumor about Oswalt wanting to stay in the NL is true, the Rangers are probably a safer bet to land him.

What, no sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads? (R-Phils illustration)
Rphils.jpg

We gotta give the Reading Phillies some credit. While the rest of us just write articles on how to improve the Home Run Derby or make nominal changes like adding gold baseballs, the Double-A affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies has emptied its imagination and made it an onfield reality for this year's Home Run Derby for the Eastern League All-Star game.
But we also must ask the question: What's in the water over there in Reading, Pa.? The plans for the derby/hitting challenge are so colorful and weird that you figure they were conceived by a bored mini-golf course manager on an acid trip.
(That is a compliment, by the way. Or at least we think it is.)
The plans for the July 10 event are also so nutty they require an entire video for R-Phils' GM Scott Hunsicker to illustrate all of them. Jump to the 1:00 mark for the start of his explanation.
So, to recap:
• The team will host a party for 500 people on an infield that features a bar, a full-service grill, an oyster bar and a dessert stand. A 12-foot screen will protect the party attendees from errant line drives and any advances from your newest member of the Reading Phillies, first baseman Prince Fielder. (Don't believe that Detroit news.)
• Derby participants will earn points by hitting any of several outfield targets, including an R-Phils intern bouncing on a trampoline, a R-Phils intern dangling from the end of a crane and a R-Phils intern sitting in a dunk tank. In related news, the Reading Phillies are considering implementing the first-ever intern disabled list this season.
• Derby participants will be penalized for any baseballs caught by roving mascots in the outfield. Who, by the way, will be busy dodging the "golf ball picker upper" that players can also hit for bonus points.
• As for points generated by, you know, actually hitting a home run, we just have to assume they will be awarded. Hunsicker never says for sure. With the spectacle they're trying to create here, it probably won't matter much anyway.
Still, we're really eager to see the scene in Reading come July 10.

Shit, gotta get sum tickets and watch this insanity live lol.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=34614450#post34614450

Generally people that post the real bad stuff about me are Democrats and Yankee fans, and that's cool, I get it. But you Yankee fans, keep hating, that's cool, I understand. Please don't come here and post 'You" have 27 or 28 rings or whatever, unless your Derek Jeter because YOU have none, I have 3, I was honored to play with 3 very special groups of men and be a part of 3 World Championships, and that made some folks mad...

:)

I keed.

eznark

Banned
Schilling, if you read the baseball thread I'd like to know if you ever apologized to Williams for that shit-headed towel over the face moment in the series.

Only thing I've ever actually dislike about him.

Sanjuro

I don't think he is really going to be interested in responding, maybe sarcastically. I think it would be really neat to see him make the occasional post during seasonal events.

Doytch

How badly would you cream yourself if he quoted you, Sanjuro? In litres. Or gallons, whatever, Google will convert for me.

Sanjuro

How badly would you cream yourself if he quoted you, Sanjuro? In litres. Or gallons, whatever, Google will convert for me.

Google could never convert that total. We are talking about Clemens, right?

I'm too old to get that excited anymore for things like that. I think it's really cool, but I'm all set with becoming that guy who knocks down some kid to grab a ball. At the same time, I don't want to become that guy sitting in the stands reading a book.

Doytch

Google could never convert that total. We are talking about Clemens, right?

I'm too old to get that excited anymore for things like that. I think it's really cool, but I'm all set with becoming that guy who knocks down some kid to grab a ball. At the same time, I don't want to become that guy sitting in the stands reading a book.
Totally renegging on watching a game with you. If it's hit right at you, cool shit; now give it to the nearest kid/girl if you don't got one.

Sanjuro

Totally renegging on watching a game with you. If it's hit right at you, cool shit; now give it to the nearest kid/girl if you don't got one.

Wait, what? If the ball is coming at you, it's coming at you. I'm talking about the three-hundred pound guys that barrel over twenty pound kids to grab a loose ball or a pop-fly.

I've gotten a total of two in game balls. One smashed against the empty wood seat next to me as a kid, grabbed it off the ground. The other I snagged while in an isle way and flipped it up to some kid.

Biggest arbitration cases left:

-- David Ortiz ($16.5M) vs. Red Sox ($12.65M)
-- Matt Garza ($12.5M) vs. Cubs ($7.95M)
-- Mike Napoli ($11.5M) vs. Rangers ($8.3M)
-- Jeremy Guthrie ($10.25M) vs. Orioles ($7.25M)
-- Clayton Kershaw ($10M) vs. Dodgers ($6.5M)
-- Shaun Marcum ($8.7M) vs. Brewers ($6.75M)
-- Anibal Sanchez ($8M) vs. Marlins ($6.9M)
-- Nelson Cruz ($7.5M) vs. Rangers ($5.5M)
-- Adam Jones ($7.4M) vs. Orioles ($5M)
-- Miguel Montero ($6.8M) vs. Diamondbacks ($5.4M)
-- John Lannan ($5.7M) vs. Nationals ($5M)
-- Alex Gordon ($5.45M) vs. Royals ($4.15M)
-- Asdrubal Cabrera ($5.2M) vs. Indians ($3.75M)

clemenx

Banned
I'm a terrible baseball fan for not knowing this, but arbitration chooses one of the salaries or can they reach to a sum in between?

Biggest arbitration cases left:

-- David Ortiz ($16.5M) vs. Red Sox ($12.65M)
-- Matt Garza ($12.5M) vs. Cubs ($7.95M)
-- Mike Napoli ($11.5M) vs. Rangers ($8.3M)
-- Jeremy Guthrie ($10.25M) vs. Orioles ($7.25M)
-- Clayton Kershaw ($10M) vs. Dodgers ($6.5M)
-- Shaun Marcum ($8.7M) vs. Brewers ($6.75M)
-- Anibal Sanchez ($8M) vs. Marlins ($6.9M)
-- Nelson Cruz ($7.5M) vs. Rangers ($5.5M)
-- Adam Jones ($7.4M) vs. Orioles ($5M)
-- Miguel Montero ($6.8M) vs. Diamondbacks ($5.4M)
-- John Lannan ($5.7M) vs. Nationals ($5M)
-- Alex Gordon ($5.45M) vs. Royals ($4.15M)
-- Asdrubal Cabrera ($5.2M) vs. Indians ($3.75M)

I see those players winning their bid...Who else might win?

Watching this Pete Rose documentary made me realize: I am seriously never going to see a championship in Cincinnati again for the rest of my life, am I?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Garza sucks, especially on a bad team. Guy freaks out almost every start, and has for years. Lucky they're offering 7.95 IMO.

I love Garza to death. Dude is completely off his rocker and he's a solid pitcher to boot. Had a career last season, was legitimately the only bright spot going for the Cubbies.

eznark

Banned
I love Garza to death. Dude is completely off his rocker and he's a solid pitcher to boot. Had a career last season, was legitimately the only bright spot going for the Cubbies.

Clearly you didn't read the "Darwin Barney is the best player on the Cubs" articles. Too damn funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom