• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doytch

Reyes-Jose-hair.jpg

Enron

Banned
I only have one team I follow, so I sink or swim with them.

Then again, you don't know anything about that, do you? :p

Fool. I have followed 2 teams for the past 22 years, and they were both TERRIBLE when I started caring about them! At least I didn't switch when one got bad, like, oh, a well known Mets-to-Rays fan here!

Also, unlike Angels fans, I knew baseball existed before 2002!

Fool. I have followed 2 teams for the past 22 years, and they were both TERRIBLE when I started caring about them! At least I didn't switch when one got bad, like, oh, a well known Mets-to-Rays fan here!

Also, unlike Angels fans, I knew baseball existed before 2002!
1995, trick!

Brian Cashman's wife has filed for divorce after a woman he was cheating on her with started harassing him and attempted to extort him.

Enron

Banned
1995, trick!

man plz you couldn't even speak English in 1995!

Brian Cashman's wife has filed for divorce after a woman he was cheating on her with started harassing him and attempted to extort him.

hahaha, i knew there had to be more to that story when I read it on Thursday!

2 teams, lol.

That's what happens when you move from one MLB city to another as a kid in the days before widespread tv coverage and pre-internet. All you have are regional radio and tv networks to rely on for your baseball fix.

McNei1y

Let's not get crazy here. Strasburg may well be as good as Halladay, but I'll take Lee and Hamels over Gio and Zimm any day.

Well I wasn't exactly comparing the staff to the Phillies since they are obviously better. I was just assuming that with the rotation we have now we won't get abused by the Phillies lineup. It's just nice to see that we have quality starters rather than a bunch of #4-5 starters.

There is a silver lining in Hamilton's "relapse" is that his value just went down more so they can keep him. Nolan gave Hambone roofies and woke up with beers next to him. Good going.

Enron

Banned
There is a silver lining in Hamilton's "relapse" is that his value just went down more so they can keep him. Nolan gave Hambone roofies and woke up with beers next to him. Good going.

Money is not a problem for the Rangers. The question for JD/Nolan isn't "can we afford him" it's "SHOULD we pay him". He's going to miss 30 games a year. His body is brittle from years of drug abuse and he'll probably dive off a cliff faster than most star players. He's already 31. And he's relapsed twice (that they know of) in 3 years, this last time coming after a stressful family event of some sort. Let someone else deal with all that, especially for 22 million a year for the next 5 years.

Fair enough. Are these Bengals gonna be going to the Super Bowl any time soon?

With football, you never know... well, for the last decade in the AFC, you pretty much have known... but with the NFC... you never know!

They actually went to a Superbowl in my lifetime! Too bad I was like 3 years old. And too bad they lost. I expect the Clippers in the NBA finals before I see the Bengals in a Superbowl.

I can't complain, though. Things are looking up. Out of the last 6 years, the Bengals have been in the playoffs 3 times. Before that, it was a 15 year period of constant losing seasons. If you really think about it, there have been a lot of franchises worse than the Bengals as of late, but the Bengals are always going to be that comical loser team forever. When they lose a game, it's always "As I expected with the Bengals," even though they aren't THAT bad. Sound familiar?

With football, you never know... well, for the last decade in the AFC, you pretty much have known... but with the NFC... you never know!

They actually went to a Superbowl in my lifetime! Too bad I was like 3 years old. And too bad they lost. I expect the Clippers in the NBA finals before I see the Bengals in a Superbowl.

I can't complain, though. Things are looking up. Out of the last 6 years, the Bengals have been in the playoffs 3 times. Before that, it was a 15 year period of constant losing seasons. If you really think about it, there have been a lot of franchises worse than the Bengals as of late, but the Bengals are always going to be that comical loser team forever. When they lose a game, it's always "As I expected with the Bengals," even though they aren't THAT bad. Sound familiar?
I know that feeling all too well.

I don't think the Bengals have ever been as futile as the Clippers have been though.

I'm praying that this is the year though...

Damn Cecil Fielder is still salty, or Prince really is a jackass.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120204/SPORTS0104/202040378/Family-feud-continues-Cecil-Fielder-rips-son-has-no-plans-to-attend-Tiger-games?odyssey=tab|mostpopular|text|

Cecil told reporters Friday Prince isn't grateful to those who helped him get where he is today -- the owner of the fourth-richest contract in Major League Baseball history.

"We all knew the kid was obese," Cecil told the Tampa Bay Times. "He had a hard time running to first base without getting tired. You don't transform your body by yourself, you've got to have trainers, you've got to have people cooking for you, there's a lot of things that go into that. ...

"There's a lot of people that wish he would get over whatever he's got going on with his self."

Cecil also told the Times that Prince has no relationship with extended family, including ill grandparents, and he "hides behind" agent Scott Boras to avoid discussing family.

Even though owner Mike Ilitch has affection for both Cecil and Prince -- and would like to see the relationship repaired -- Cecil said he won't be visiting Comerica Park to see Prince play. If he were to, it could end up like a game in Atlanta he attended a few years ago; Cecil said that while waiting in the family area after the game, security personnel made him leave.

"I know what I did for my son, and he knows what I did for him," Cecil told the Tampa Bay Times. "I'm going to take the high road, stay away from it and not cause any friction. ... You play for the Tigers, I played for the Tigers, do your thing. ... If you want to stay stuck in whatever cocoon you're in, stay there, but I'm not going to join you."

awkward....

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

why can't it be both?

Also while it sucks that Prince can't get along with his family, Cecil talking shit about his son's shape is laughable...

Furthermore, why would Prince do this, or even the Tigers do this... it will be a media circus forever....

why can't it be both?

Also while it sucks that Prince can't get along with his family, Cecil talking shit about his son's shape is laughable...

Furthermore, why would Prince do this, or even the Tigers do this... it will be a media circus forever....

yeah they need an intervention.

Shutting his dad up is probably Prince's number one motivation in sports.

I couldn't remember if it was Prince Fielder or Tony Gwynn jr. who hated his dad. Guess I got my answer.

STEALING THIS FROM WEEKEND_WARRIOR

THE BRADY KILLERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheNatural

My Member!

Mark by words, after a couple seasons Fielder is going to have a bad case of Adam Dunn syndrome. Reminds me of how despite having great power and a great OBP in Cincy, a lot of people still bashed Dunn for being lazy and not taking conditioning that seriously or trying to improve himself, and him and Griffey made the clubhouse sound like more like a country club. No shocker that a few short years later off the Reds he had one of the biggest collapses of numbers in recent history, under one of the worst contracts ever doing it.

Maybe his dad has no room to talk about it, but if Prince doesn't start taking training more seriously he's not going to be able to rely on his pure baseball skills over the course of this contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom