• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuroyume

Banned
BASEBALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL MOTHERFUCKKKKKKKKKKKERSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

METS :(*****

Now we get into that depressing period where there's not football or baseball that matters.

TheNatural

My Member!
STEALING THIS FROM WEEKEND_WARRIOR

THE BRADY KILLERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wrong thread? Or did you ignore that shit game like myself and are ready for baseball season. Good lesson for Selig though, he wants to expand the playoffs to NFL size, then prepare for a shit unworthy team barely over .500 team being your championship winner. Not that it hasn't already happened in the past in MLB, but still, it could actually be even worse.

Wrong thread? Or did you ignore that shit game like myself and are ready for baseball season. Good lesson for Selig though, he wants to expand the playoffs to NFL size, then prepare for a shit unworthy team barely over .500 team being your championship winner. Not that it hasn't already happened in the past in MLB, but still, it could actually be even worse.

Great post.

TheNatural

My Member!
Does it matter? If a team above way .500 can't get there then they don't deserve to be there. Fuck off.

Yeah because a 162 game season needs to be reduced to even more irrelevance off the backs of playoffs expansion. Look up how many high 90's or 100 win teams lose a series or three to horrible teams all season, it can happen to anyone. But I guess adding more randomness to the playoffs and having shit undeserving teams luck their way into a game they don't deserve is worth it. Can't wait for an 82-80 NL West team winning one game as a 5 seed to get in the real playoffs, then winning it all. Why not just let every team in then and have one game playoffs to the end and really make it great.

hemtae

Did you briefly die in 2006 or something?

TheNatural

My Member!
Did you briefly die in 2006 or something?

Well that's why I said that it already happened. St Louis is like the quality team kryptonite come playoff time, like the Giants are in football. Teams that wouldn't likely have been there under a more logical playoffs system with reduced divisions.

It could actually get worse though, that's scary to think about.

Sanjuro

e69DT.gif

hemtae

Well that's why I said that it already happened. St Louis is like the quality team kryptonite come playoff time, like the Giants are in football. Teams that wouldn't likely have been there under a more logical playoffs system with reduced divisions.

Oops, misread that last sentence. Sorry.

clemenx

Banned
Yeah because a 162 game season needs to be reduced to even more irrelevance off the backs of playoffs expansion. Look up how many high 90's or 100 win teams lose a series or three to horrible teams all season, it can happen to anyone. But I guess adding more randomness to the playoffs and having shit undeserving teams luck their way into a game they don't deserve is worth it. Can't wait for an 82-80 NL West team winning one game as a 5 seed to get in the real playoffs, then winning it all. Why not just let every team in then and have one game playoffs to the end and really make it great.

Look, we're all mad about the Cardinals lucking 2 WS wins but I think you're exaggerating a bit.

TheNatural

My Member!
Look, we're all mad about the Cardinals lucking 2 WS wins but I think you're exaggerating a bit.

Maybe its because I have a bitter taste in my mouth. No, literally, I have a bitter taste in my mouth, have all day even drinking water doesn't taste right,right now. Maybe I have heavy metal poisoning or something.

Either way, I'm ready for baseball, can't wait for it to start taking over the talk after this Super Bowl crap dies down this coming week. If I can avoid the media for a little over a week I should be good.

deliciously bitter Reds tears

the only way to do what you want (make it really unlikely for the 100 win teams to lose to teams with inferior records) is to scrap the WC system altogether. might as well go all the way and make the best regular season record teams meet in the WS like the good 'ol days. since that's not going to happen, let's have a better system than the current one and make a division title worth more than an extra home game.

balancing out the regular season schedule should be a higher priority than any changes to the playoff system but Selig lol

TheNatural

My Member!
deliciously bitter Reds tears

the only way to do what you want (make it really unlikely for the 100 win teams to lose to teams with inferior records) is to scrap the WC system altogether. might as well go all the way and make the best regular season record teams meet in the WS like the good 'ol days. since that's not going to happen, let's have a better system than the current one and make a division title worth more than an extra home game.

balancing out the regular season schedule is higher priority than any changes to the playoff system but Selig lol

4 teams, make the the first round 7 games as well, go back to two divisions. You solve shitty division winners getting in, and you make the first round longer to give the better team the chance to survive.

Best of 5, really? Even the NBA got rid of that shit even though basketball is the sport LEAST likely to need 7 games to prove who the better team is in the first round. I can't believe baseball continues to hinge 162 game season on losing 3 games in Rd 1. It's ridiculous.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I was kinda hoping for a natural disaster to destroy the giants and patriots rosters, oh well.

Baseball has cometh! Prepare yourselves.

4 teams, make the the first round 7 games as well, go back to two divisions. You solve shitty division winners getting in, and you make the first round longer to give the better team the chance to survive.

Best of 5, really? Even the NBA got rid of that shit even though basketball is the sport LEAST likely to need 7 games to prove who the better team is in the first round. I can't believe baseball continues to hinge 162 game season on losing 3 games in Rd 1. It's ridiculous.
The owners would never approve of eliminating an entire round of playoff revenue just for an extra game or two in the first round though. I guess it could be exchanged with something else that the players' association values but I don't think the players are that interested in overhauling the current playoff system.

Making it closer to the NBA system where upsets are less likely to happen won't necessarily make the playoffs any more enjoyable. It'll probably cast a bigger light on the edge that large market teams have so we won't get stupid articles like this though.

TheNatural

My Member!
The owners would never approve of eliminating an entire round of playoff revenue just for an extra game or two in the first round though. I guess it could be exchanged with something else that the players' association values but I don't think the players are that interested in overhauling the current playoff system.

Making it closer to the NBA system where upsets are less likely to happen won't necessarily make the playoffs any more enjoyable. It'll probably cast a bigger light on the edge that large market teams have so we won't get stupid articles like this though.

I meant 4 in each league, the same as it is now. Just make the first round best of 7, and make the divisions back to two.

Honestly, every year you look at the standings there's about on average like one team that deserved to get in overall that didn't. And on average there's one really bad division winner that shouldn't have been in.

I think 4 is the sweet spot, not 5. But, there should be more situations like last year where teams get to play themselves in in big time matchups. That last day of the regular season was the most exciting day of baseball in a long, long time after a mostly boring regular season and playoffs.

Why not more out of the box thinking? Like for example, schedule 156 games and leave the last two series of the season up to the schedulers when it gets to that point. Then MLB can schedule the teams closest in standings for the division or wild card. So you know, there's actually relevant games at the end of the year.

h3ro

Hi MLB-Gaf. tonight was a good night :)

I'm ready for Pitchers and Catchers now.

Wish you were here to celebrate with us Frank.

Go Yanks <3

TheNatural

My Member!
Because you can only get local games, brah. I can listen to all the games in both broadcasts, even Spanish if I want!

I guess so, but I only care about listening to the Reds really. Especially when all east coast games just usually start at 7:00 anyway. I may go in on a midseason mlb.tv deal though if they have one again, but I don't know how they handle blackouts. Sounds like home markets can't even watch their own team play.

Man my teams all suck

Jets are awful, the Knicks stink. On topic, the Mets are just going to be awful. I'm still stinging after the loss of my favorite player of all-time Jose Reyes (like him without the dreads, reminds me of the good ole days of 2006).

The NL East is going to be a great division to watch. The Phillies are still the favorites but I think the Braves, Marlins, and even the Nationals have a chance. I did not think this was possible, but top to bottom the Marlins may have better pitching than the Phillies. The Mets are, by far, the worst team in the division. We're paying Santana 20+ million to be maybe the 5th best pitcher in the divison LOL. Oh, and Jason Bay haha

Anyway, will be a fun season for anybody who's not a Mets fan.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Man my teams all suck

Jets are awful, the Knicks stink. On topic, the Mets are just going to be awful. I'm still stinging after the loss of my favorite player of all-time Jose Reyes (like him without the dreads, reminds me of the good ole days of 2006).

The NL East is going to be a great division to watch. The Phillies are still the favorites but I think the Braves, Marlins, and even the Nationals have a chance. I did not think this was possible, but top to bottom the Marlins may have better pitching than the Phillies. The Mets are, by far, the worst team in the division. We're paying Santana 20+ million to be maybe the 5th best pitcher in the divison LOL. Oh, and Jason Bay haha

It's never too late to become a lifelong Rays fan.

Mets will never be worth rooting for till the Wilpons die or sell the team. Neither happening any time soon.

So happy its baseball season.

TheNatural

My Member!
Man my teams all suck

Why does it seem like New York fans typically follow the pattern of:

Yankees-Giants-Rangers

OR

Mets-Jets-Islanders

Maybe the hockey teams not as strict, but it seems like NY fans either follow all the successful popular teams or the underdog less popular teams. Not much in between.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Yankees-Giants-Rangers

OR

Mets-Jets-Islanders

Maybe the hockey teams not as strict, but it seems like NY fans either follow all the successful popular teams or the underdog less popular teams. Not much in between.

With older fans its a geographical thing more than anything. The Jets used to play in Shea from the 60s to the early 80s. Not really sure why there seems to be a strong correlation between Giants and Yankees fans but the Jets / Mets thing is rooted in history.

A pleasantly surprising NFL season, I must say. When my team won their first game this year, I said "Yes! At least we won't go winless!" Who would have thought playoffs would be in the cards? Sure as Hell I didn't. :jnc

Time for baseball. Got my Joe Morgan avatar, just for you, GAF.

TheNatural

My Member!
With older fans its a geographical thing more than anything. The Jets used to play in Shea from the 60s to the early 80s. Not really sure why there seems to be a strong correlation between Giants and Yankees fans but the Jets / Mets thing is rooted in history.

I guess that makes sense. I've never known the exact reason myself, I figured it had to do with geography inside the city of some kind.

Yankees-Giants-Rangers

OR

Mets-Jets-Islanders

Well, I was born in Queens for reference, being a Mets fan was natural. Not sure why I (unfortunately) became a Jets fan. Spent some time in Long Island and became an Islanders fan out there but hockey isn't nearly that big for me. Good question though.

Well, I was born in Queens for reference, being a Mets fan was natural. Not sure why I (unfortunately) became a Jets fan. Spent some time in Long Island and became an Islanders fan out there but hockey isn't nearly that big for me. Good question though.

It must be weird being from a city with 2 teams in each sport. I suppose it's like how it was for me in Tokyo with the two baseball teams. I just picked one and ran with it.

jman2050

So much salt in this post lol.

Yankees will finish what the Giants started this year by hoisting #28.

jman2050

Yankees-Giants-Rangers

OR

Mets-Jets-Islanders

I really just think it's a function of the former three being around a lot longer than the latter three. A lot of Yankees/Giants fans (well the non-bandwagon ones anyway) are such because it's heavily ingrained in their culture, what with both teams being fixtures of that area for years and years. Hell, the Rangers and an Original Six team after all.

Actually while that explains the first three that doesn't quite explain why the latter are usually bunched together, but I imagine it can be a combination of additional factors like geography and whatnot. Maybe a form of recency bias among those who aren't already on the traditional bandwagon?

I meant 4 in each league, the same as it is now. Just make the first round best of 7, and make the divisions back to two.

Honestly, every year you look at the standings there's about on average like one team that deserved to get in overall that didn't. And on average there's one really bad division winner that shouldn't have been in.

I think 4 is the sweet spot, not 5. But, there should be more situations like last year where teams get to play themselves in in big time matchups. That last day of the regular season was the most exciting day of baseball in a long, long time after a mostly boring regular season and playoffs.

Why not more out of the box thinking? Like for example, schedule 156 games and leave the last two series of the season up to the schedulers when it gets to that point. Then MLB can schedule the teams closest in standings for the division or wild card. So you know, there's actually relevant games at the end of the year.
Ah, that makes more sense then. I agree that fewer divisions would be make things a bit 'more fair' and it would probably easier to fit a balanced schedule in as well.

Obviously I'm biased, but I thought the playoffs as a whole were anything but boring. 3/4ths of the first round series went the distance, no teams got swept, the 7 game WS was close in every game except for a blowout with a historic individual performance as a footnote.

I like the variable scheduling idea but it seems like a logistical nightmare. Especially for a league that claims that they can't give WS HFA to the pennant winner with the better regular season record because of logistics.

Actually while that explains the first three that doesn't quite explain why the latter are usually bunched together, but I imagine it can be a combination of additional factors like geography and whatnot. Maybe a form of recency bias among those who aren't already on the traditional bandwagon?
Giving the Mets/Jets/Nets rhyming names is definitely intentional, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom