• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluemax

Banned
I want a repeat of Ibanez in Yankee Stadium left field so badly.

T2OoW.gif

Malo

Banned
He's decent against rhp and for a million or two sure why not.

I never want to see Ibañez in the outfield this season.

The Reds have jumped in the bidding for Roy Oswalt. But like the Cardinals, the Reds would have to move payroll to sign him. The speculation is that if the Reds sign Oswalt, they would trade Homer Bailey to make room.

People close to Oswalt say he would prefer pitching for the Cardinals and Rangers, but the Rangers only see Oswalt as depth. Cardinals are considered the favorite to sign him and are trying to trade Kyle McCllelan to make room for him.

h3ro

No idea why the Yankees wouldn't want a part of him. Always under the impression Yankees fans loved him despite that one time he held the entire city down and fucked it.

I want my Damon HoF'er speech, damnit.

Oakland seems like the probable though.

I'd love Damon back. Dude was awesome with the fans at games and that double steal against Philly was hype as hell and one of my favorite WS moments.

That grand slam hurt me something fierce though.

Pay the man, Cash!

clemenx

Banned
Poor Pirates. That's worse than not offering anyone and be cheap... At least we don't have Mets news because of that :D sigh.

Malo

Banned
Wainwright should be number two over Garcia but it's understandable considering he's coming back from Tommy John.

Also Cozart under Barmes is laughable.

BFIB

Sweet. ESPN not picking the Cards. Love when they do this, it means we usually end up winning the division.

TheNatural

My Member!
Nope. Latos has been better statistically the last two seasons.

Cueto has a 2.31 ERA last year in a launching pad. The guy was not only the #1 pitcher on the reds but the best pitcher in the NL Central last year and if the Reds made the playoffs may have won the Cy Young. I don't know where you get better stats from.

TheNatural

My Member!
Did I say Cueto?

You know they'll pick the Cardinals when it comes time to make picks. Plus, Braun will be suspended by then so everyone will pick the Brewers to finish last.

I just thought that's who you meant because that's obviously who is the #1 starter for the Reds.

eznark

Banned
Cueto has a 2.31 ERA last year in a launching pad. The guy was not only the #1 pitcher on the reds but the best pitcher in the NL Central last year and if the Reds made the playoffs may have won the Cy Young. I don't know where you get better stats from.

Latos was significantly better in 2010 and has pitched in what, 15 more games? He threw something like 60 more innings than Cueto last year.

There isn't a huge difference between the two but I think Latos is probably the better pitcher.

Obviously? lol

BFIB

Did I say Cueto?

You know they'll pick the Cardinals when it comes time to make picks. Plus, Braun will be suspended by then so everyone will pick the Brewers to finish last.

Whats the deal with this? Is it still "under review?"

Malo

Banned
Latos has a lower FIP and has accumulated more WAR than Cueto these past two years.

TheNatural

My Member!
Latos was significantly better in 2010 and has pitched in what, 15 more games? He threw something like 60 more innings than Cueto last year.

There isn't a huge difference between the two but I think Latos is probably the better pitcher.

Obviously? lol

There isn't a huge difference? Cueto had a 1.89 ERA as late as August 17th last year. The guy came on a ridiculous amount and just started to hit his prime. In 2010 Cueto had a 3.64 ERA in a hitters park vs. 2.92 for Latos in a pitchers park. Somehow though, having about a 0.7 difference in ERA two years ago is much more impressive than a over a 1 ERA just last year. Once again, compare the parks as well.

Latos will be good, but he's not going to be the #1 starter. And I'm hoping the change in parks doesn't effect his numbers much, like when Harang went from almost out of the league horrific numbers his last years in Cincy to a quality started in San Diego with the change.

TheNatural

My Member!
Latos has a lower FIP and has accumulated more WAR than Cueto these past two years.

Does he also beat Cueto in Chuck E Cheese tokens too, or do we want to talk about real world stats in real world situations - like ERA and Cueto pitching in a launching pad and San Diego's park being a pitchers heaven.

Cueto's BABIP is not going to be .249 again. But I don't know if I trust Latos going from San Diego to Cincinnati, either. So I declare that the Reds have no #1.

Malo

Banned
Does he also beat Cueto in Chuck E Cheese tokens too, or do we want to talk about real world stats in real world situations - like ERA and Cueto pitching in a launching pad and San Diego's park being a pitchers heaven.
Real world stats? Like RBI

eznark

Banned
Whats the deal with this? Is it still "under review?"

I guess? No idea, no one seems to know. We also have no idea if this is a normal amount of time since results have never actually leaked.

How bout we use real world stats like wins and RBI!?

Cueto's BABIP is not going to be .249 again. But I don't know if I trust Latos going from San Diego to Cincinnati, either. So I declare that the Reds have no #1.

He said real stats you God damned nerd.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Who cares about the NL Central? Big AL East news, totally shifts the balance of power within the division.

Bill Hall
IT'S OFFICIAL IM A YANKEE!!!!!!!! #IwannaRing!!!!

Blearth

Banned

And Ryan Vogelsong is gonna win the Cy Ypung Award in 2012! Wins! ERA!

TheNatural

My Member!
I guess? No idea, no one seems to know. We also have no idea if this is a normal amount of time since results have never actually leaked.

How bout we use real world stats like wins and RBI!?

He said real stats you God damned nerd.

OK smart ass. You know what I meant. WAR takes in account cumulative contribution over time, so I mean great - if Cueto misses all of April plus again I guess he's a worse player than Latos for April.

This is about who the #1 starter is though, and what in the blue hell does that have to do with someone missing a month and being worse than someone he had a 1 plus ERA better than in a batters park for the FOLLOWING year? Cueto IS better. His runs given up streak last year was something absolutely ridiculous and completely lost in the mediocrity of the Reds as a whole.

And shocker about ERA. Cueto had a 4.81 ERA for 2008, 4.41 in 2009, 3.64 in 2010, and 2.31 in 2011. Total shocker there for a young Domincan Republic pitcher to move to the major and improve greatly from not being able to even get a drink legally to the time he's in his mid 20's. So great, Latos has been more consistent, but Cueto last year hit a peak Latos hasn't come close to touching. No Cincy fan thinks Latos is going to be considered the #1 starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom