• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The two "aces" on the Rays staff (Shields and Price) at least had K/9 over 8. And both had lower walk rates than Cueto. I just think he's being a bit delusional about Cueto being THAT good. And what about Edinson Volquez, who had a groundball rate comparable to Cueto? His BABIP was .293 (although his insanely high HR/FB% does point to him being hit hard). Dontrelle Willis (lol) had an even higher GB% than Cueto and his BABIP was .310.

Are you insinuating that James Shields is not an ace? What?

I know Matt Moore has the AL Cy Young on lockdown this season but Shields and Price are studs.

Are you insinuating that James Shields is not an ace? What?

I know Matt Moore has the AL Cy Young on lockdown this season but Shields and Price are studs.

I don't know why I put quotation marks around aces. Probably for emphasis instead of sarcasm, stupidly. Maybe because they have two (or probably three). Forgive me.

TheNatural

My Member!
YESSSSSSSSSSSSS thank you for making my night

Glad to do so. Guess I gave you a favorite amateur quotes, but following the Reds my whole life and seeing how Cueto was years ago and how Volquez was, and stayed that way, where he can't throw a strike if his life depended on it, it IS a big deal. Maybe for not guys like Arroyo where more contact = record breaking homerun totals, but Cueto HAS gotten better.

So yeah, throw around all your BABIP and other crap, that's great. Cueto's gotten a lot better, and if you think his ERA is some fluke of luck because of your BABIP with a great defense, then fine. I think he can post a solid 3 ERA this year, and the guy is only getting better.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Fear the Beard pt. 2 sounds good man lol. Do it!

^^

I need to remove Gonzalez and Batista from the cover and put the true cover athlete.

BrianWilson.jpg

Glad to do so. Guess I gave you a favorite amateur quotes, but following the Reds my whole life and seeing how Cueto was years ago and how Volquez was, and stayed that way, where he can't throw a strike if his life depended on it, it IS a big deal. Maybe for not guys like Arroyo where more contact = record breaking homerun totals, but Cueto HAS gotten better.

So yeah, throw around all your BABIP and other crap, that's great. Cueto's gotten a lot better, and if you think his ERA is some fluke of luck because of your BABIP with a great defense, then fine. I think he can post a solid 3 ERA this year, and the guy is only getting better.

Well even the non-real stats do say he's gotten better, so I'm not arguing there. A solid-3 ERA isn't an unreasonable hope, really. But don't forget Latos will benefit from the defense, too!

After seeing that the PS3/Vita bundle for the Show wont be any cheaper I figured I would just get the Vita version now and wait to get the PS3 version for $40. The diamond Dynasty mode is making me think twice though, that sounds so awesome.

eznark

Banned
After seeing that the PS3/Vita bundle for the Show wont be any cheaper I figured I would just get the Vita version now and wait to get the PS3 version for $40. The diamond Dynasty mode is making me think twice though, that sounds so awesome.

I'll be getting the PS3 version now for the league (frankman better be unbanned soon so he can run it) and getting the inevitably cheaper Vita in November. The game will probably be half price by then too. I think you're also going to need an additional memory card for it. I don't think I want to spend $325 for a handheld at this point.

I'll be getting the PS3 version now for the league (frankman better be unbanned soon so he can run it) and getting the inevitably cheaper Vita in November. The game will probably be half price by then too. I think you're also going to need an additional memory card for it. I don't think I want to spend $325 for a handheld at this point.

What do you mean an additional mem card? All the launch bundles come with a card, and they have already said that the Vita version will have cloud saving.

eznark

Banned
What do you mean an additional mem card? All the launch bundles come with a card, and they have already said that the Vita version will have cloud saving.

I haven't looked into the bundles. I just went to gamestop and added the system, MLB and the memory card. $390. LOL

eznark

Banned
I think the most we have had is 15? Not 100% sure. Last year was a fucking train wreck because the PSN outage hit right when the league was starting pretty much.

McNei1y

Damn. I'd definitely be trying to get a spot if I did end up buying a PS3. The Show just sounds soo gooood. Its hard to justify purchasing one, though, since this is the last year 2k has the MLB license.

Yeah, but the useful memory card is $100, so I'd be saving $10 going without the bundle.

Wait, that doesn't even come with MLB. I thought you meant it was an MLB bundle.

No the only bundle with a game is the first edition bundle, and that comes with Little Deviants. Unless you are playing to download retail games I dont see why you would need a card bigger then 8GB.

eznark

Banned
If I got the system, I would download all my games. Physical media sucks for a handheld. Being able to rip PSP games was probably the only reason I played so many of them.

You will definitely need a big card then, Uncharted is 3.3GB itself. Eventually I will want a big card, especially once they add PS1, and hopefully PS2, support.

eznark

Banned
You will definitely need a big card then, Uncharted is 3.3GB itself. Eventually I will want a big card, especially once they add PS1, and hopefully PS2, support.

That's why I will buy this holiday season when the price of the failing system is slashed! Like I did with the 3DS!

Malo

Banned
Damn. I'd definitely be trying to get a spot if I did end up buying a PS3. The Show just sounds soo gooood. Its hard to justify purchasing one, though, since this is the last year 2k has the MLB license.
I feel the exact same way. Its hard to justify purchasing a console for just one game, even if that one game is amazing.

McNei1y

You definitely should. Frankman has the lofty goal of putting together a 30 team league this year (LOL). Shame there's no sale for a bundle.

How is team selection done? I'm going to have to think long and hard about this. The Show is obviously a must but I'd at least have to justify other reasons for getting it and so far I can think of: It's a Blu-ray player and its got other games I can't think of.

That's why I got my PS3 a few years ago. The Show on PSP just wasn't cutting it.

I feel the exact same way. Its hard to justify purchasing a console for just one game, even if that one game is amazing.

I wish I jumped on this earlier because it is just the last year of being stuck with 2k. I keep telling myself since I've waited this long that there is no point in jumping on the PS3 wheel because EA (hopefully MVP) is right around the corner and could possibly cure us 360 owners of this disease that is 2k. But then again purchasing PS3/The Show would be instant satisfaction since I haven't enjoyed a baseball game since MLB 2K7/8. I mean I played an entire summers worth of games with 2k7/2k8 but since then the quality of games has just been complete butt and they were terrible buys.

You chose ur team. If already chosen, you could play the other person for ownership of the team. I remember it being like that wen we did the 10 league.

turnbuckle

Legacy guys keep their teams.

Yup, not sure if there are any Nationals fans in the league. I remember I took over someone's Nats team in the 2010 league after they had something like a 1-10 record. Think I hit about 15 homers in 10 games with Adam Dunn, and ultimately got screwed on a bad trade with Boston because of some glitch. It's not a perfect game, but it's the best out there by a long shot and is a great supplement to watching the real thing. Especially if yours is a team that is depressing to watch IRL :p

Oh man... My dumbass is probably going to buy a PS3 in the next few days. The game looks way too good to not play.

Badass! The league usually starts once the opening day rosters are set in the game. There might be beta league set up to work out some kinks, I dunno - it's all up to the commish. LJ did a great job leading the way a couple years ago, Frankman did his best with a bad situation (PSN fiasco) last year. I presume Frankman will lead it again this year, if only he can keep his ass out of trouble.

Anyone the Nats yet??

I'm not certain. If nobody from last year had the Nats you should get priority by stating your preference so early. It's gonna be fun mashing with the Tigers this year...though it'll be hell setting up my defensive lineup. Gotta figure out a spot for Victor, Prince, and Cabrera
and Young, depending on his attributes
. Probably go with Cabby at third. It's gonna be a tragedy.

eznark

Banned
Yeah, I'm assuming Frank will run it like the Madden thread. If you are a fan of the team you have first dibs. I think someone did have the Nats, not sure who though.

Weren't you the Tigers last year, turnbuckle?

Sanjuro

I put together the MLB leagues. It's pretty much dibs on whoever is a fan of the team.

There will be a test league at launch and then go forward with gauging the interest out there.

Malo

Banned
Funny thing is that I had a PS3 and MLB The Show 10 but I sold it because I barely played it. The Show 12 just sounds so incredible and being apart of the MLB-Gaf online league is tempting as fuck.

I put together the MLB leagues. It's pretty much dibs on whoever is a fan of the team.

There will be a test league at launch and then go forward with gauging the interest out there.

I'm guessing the Brewers were taken long ago. I look forward to seeing what leavings there are for me to pick over. Marlins, perhaps? I could wear those digital clown suits with pride.

In 10 I had to pick the Twins. Last year I picked the Rangers. Both teams were top teams in the game the respective years, so I wasn't too mad. Turn, remember ur boy Thome hitting HRs every other at bat? Lol

McNei1y

So I've been trying to look at straightforward features list on The Show's online leagues but I can't really find anything that answers some of my questions... Is there a after a year? Minor league teams? Free Agents? How does stamina work?

turnbuckle

Yeah, I'm assuming Frank will run it like the Madden thread. If you are a fan of the team you have first dibs. I think someone did have the Nats, not sure who though.

Weren't you the Tigers last year, turnbuckle?

Yup

It varies. Ive played great games then play again and it lags.

Turnbuckle u lucky man. Those batters would be scary to face in the league lol

Yeah, I believe they're switching to dedicated servers this year too. Should improve things a bit. There were games that would be so smooth it'd be as if you were playing against someone locally, times where it was mostly smooth with a few spikes here and there, and other times still that were so bad I wanted to quit the hobby of gaming altogether.

Ha, yeah I'm pretty happy with our lineup. I've never been good at hitting in this game though, so my team's biggest strength might be difficult for me to capitalize on. I'm pretty happy with what will probably be my starting rotation (Verlander, Fister, Scherzer, Porcello, Turner) too. I expect the spread on my FIP and ERA to be wider than Fielder's belt though :p

Sanjuro

You can start picking teams here if you like, not much else is going on and this thread is going to be the primary audience for this title. Unlike the Madden league there is a fluctuating community and not everyone gets in their games. The other issue is the online franchise options are year in, year out, complete shit.

McNei1y, you've got the Natinals.

eznark has dibs on the Brew Crew. If he wants to pass him up that's his call. Marlins will probably be the community swimming pool team.

McNei1y

You can start picking teams here if you like, not much else is going on and this thread is going to be the primary audience for this title. Unlike the Madden league there is a fluctuating community and not everyone gets in their games. The other issue is the online franchise options are year in, year out, complete shit.

McNei1y, you've got the Natinals.

eznark has dibs on the Brew Crew. If he wants to pass him up that's his call. Marlins will probably be the community swimming pool team.

I think it'd be fun to get into a community for baseball (like the madden league) and I see this as a start.

I'll be glad to take the Natinals but I have to first convince myself that the money will be well spent. It may take a couple of weeks and it may not happen at all but I'm going to try and make it work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom