• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Jim Thome will win comeback player of the year even though he was better than Ryan Howard was last season.

And Mike Stanton would like people to refer him to his real name - Giancarlo. I honestly had no idea Mike wasn't his real name. Giancarlo is a lot cooler.

Sanjuro

Jim Thome will win comeback player of the year even though he was better than Ryan Howard was last season.

tgfbs.gif

Macattk15

this team was good
aLvKq.jpg

Fuck Mike Hargrove.

During an exhibition series between players from the US and Japan, Hargrove infamously stated that future MLB All Star and Gold Glove fielder Ichiro Suzuki, who he would later manage, would be "no better than a fourth outfielder in MLB".

Man knows nothing about greatness!

Mike Stanton of the Marlins has told everyone he wants to be referred to as Giancarlo Stanton from now on.

Stanton's full legal name is Giancarlo Cruz Michael Stanton.

It's official. Playoff expansion will happen in 2012.

A second Wild Card will be added in each league with a one-game, sudden death playoff being played in the stadium of the team with the best record the day after the regular season. Official announcement tomorrow.

Sanjuro

A second Wild Card will be added in each league with a one-game, sudden death playoff being played in the stadium of the team with the best record the day after the regular season. Official announcement tomorrow.
Is the game going to be broadcasted on FOX? If you are going to shit up the system you might as well go all out.

Doytch

Would prefer to see it stay the same, but the playoffs are a crapshoot anyway so I have a tough time getting all worked up like some people.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
bah, i don't like expanding it but i guess if they were to do it this would be the best option. I can't wait to watch the braves lose the one game playoff after playing 162 games to get there. Should be fun!

edit: they really should make it the two worst qualifying records though.

Malo

Banned
I thought I read somewhere that if they implemented the one game playoff this season the world series wouldn't be over until mid November.

Is that true?

Doytch

I thought I read somewhere that if they implemented the one game playoff this season the world series wouldn't be over until mid November.

Is that true?
That's insane, since the current sched has them finishing in October IIRC, and a one-game playoff adds one day ...

Mike Stanton of the Marlins has told everyone he wants to be referred to as Giancarlo Stanton from now on.

Stanton's full legal name is Giancarlo Cruz Michael Stanton.

Its funny he's not even Italian or Spanish. He's parents just lied the name lol

And wtf, Selig running this shit like Cuba. The Show wont even have the change I think.

RBH

One thing I like about the new playoff system that it does increase the incentive to win your division.

But I think I would like the two wild card teams to play in a best-of-3 rather than a 1-game playoff though, especially since it comes after 162 regular season games.

Ultimately, I think I would prefer for the current system to be left as is.

Sanjuro

It's still stupid. If they are going with this logic,

- Each playoff series should be best of one game.
- World Series will be renamed to the Super Series.
- Bones Jackson will hit the game winning home run.

So basically it's going to be like if every year there was a tie for the final playoff spot? Meh. I'd rather have a 3 or 5 game series than just a one game playoff. Feels cheap. LIke adding the 65th team to the NCAA tournament.

bjb

Banned
bah, i don't like expanding it but i guess if they were to do it this would be the best option. I can't wait to watch the braves lose the one game playoff after playing 162 games to get there. Should be fun!

edit: they really should make it the two worst qualifying records though.

If only Derek Lowe was available to start in it...

TheNatural

My Member!

Fucking fuck. Selig fucks more things up. Just retire you old fuck.

bjb

Banned
I will say though that the one-game playoff should at least be exciting.

Plenty of meltdowns will occur I'm sure.

TheNatural

My Member!
That's what I like too. It makes winning the division mean a lot more again. You won't find yourself in a 1-or-nothing game before the real playoffs start.

Great, it gives a team in the inevitable .500 division more incentive to win it ... because they already and still won't be in at all. All it does is eventually put a deserving wild card team in a bad spot.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
we're going to see one wild card team with 95 wins play another wild card team with 87. Totally fair.

we're going to see one wild card team with 95 wins play another wild card team with 87. Totally fair.

While the NL West champion with 84 wins skates in. If they were going to make this change, they should at least go by record, but I can understand baseball not wanting a division champ to go one and done.

Sanjuro

While the NL West champion with 84 wins skates in. If they were going to make this change, they should at least go by record, but I can understand baseball not wanting a division champ to go one and done.
You make a good point. If this was just simply a National League vs American League structure then it would make more sense.

I remember when the Padres won the NL West in 2005 with an 82-80 record.

The Phillies, Mets, and Marlins all finished with better records and had to go home.

clemenx

Banned
Everything involving playoffs and baseball is always going to be unfair due to the nature of the sport, I don't really care about the changes.

Schedules should be balanced, however.

Increasing the size of playoffs always sucks. College basketball tourney has gotten so huge that it doesn't even feel like its legit anymore, for example. But, more money and all that, so whatcha gonna do?

Doytch

Free to download and you get nothing but a scoreboard. You still need to pony up $16 to get the "regular" service, although the subscription includes both iPad and iPhone now.

Yeah, though if you have MLB.tv your sub works for that. So, it's free in that sense. Besides, if you don't have MLB.tv, you need to clear the thread of your plebeian stank.

That's what I like too. It makes winning the division mean a lot more again. You won't find yourself in a 1-or-nothing game before the real playoffs start.

WC teams also are penalized by not allowing them to use best available pitcher to start Game 1 of the Division Series because they will probably start the WC playoff game instead.

TheNatural

My Member!
If they wanted to add excitement, why don't they just do a flex schedule? Schedule normally for all teams the first 156 games, then the last six games, schedule the teams actually in the hunt in relevant series matchups instead of one team hoping the Pirates knock someone out the last series of the year.

Is it really that difficult?

If they wanted to add excitement, why don't they just do a flex schedule? Schedule normally for all teams the first 156 games, then the last six games, schedule the teams actually in the hunt in relevant series matchups instead of one team hoping the Pirates knock someone out the last series of the year.

Is it really that difficult?

The Braves play their last series of the season against the Pirates in Pittsburgh.

Can Nate McLouth shatter his former team's playoff hopes?!?!

TheNatural

My Member!
The Braves play their last series of the season against the Pirates in Pittsburgh.

Can Nate McLouth shatter his former team's playoff hopes?!?!

Oh god. Just wait, that is what it will come down to for one of these spots. Braves ace trying to beat some late season single A callup in his 2nd career start for the playoffs. Woo excitement

Oh god. Just wait, that is what it will come down to for one of these spots. Braves ace trying to beat some late season single A callup in his 2nd career start for the playoffs. Woo excitement

Well, in last year's final game, the Braves couldn't do anything against the Phillies' AAA bullpen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom