• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryan Howard has at least played first base, although poorly. Thome has played on the field for a full game once in the last 6 years.

They will probably put Mayberry on first at points where they need the defense, and put Juan Pierre in the field. Then again, Pierre's defense isn't that great from what I recall.

hemtae

Guys, I am back! I got pretty sick there for a while with the flu, and then had tons of work to catch up on, but I think I'm back to good. Of course, as I type it, I will develop 6 cancers and die by Friday, but we'll see.

Anyway, here's a trivia question:

What pre-1900 Hall of Famer once clubbed four home runs in a game?

A) Roger Connor
B) Ed Delahanty
C) Sam Thompson
D) Dan Brouthers

One of these days C will be right!

C

They will probably put Mayberry on first at points where they need the defense, and put Juan Pierre in the field. Then again, Pierre's defense isn't that great from what I recall.

Pierre playing is my biggest hope for this year. I hope Rollins gets hurt and is out for the season and Pierre bats leadoff every game.

Sanjuro

Guys, I am back! I got pretty sick there for a while with the flu, and then had tons of work to catch up on, but I think I'm back to good. Of course, as I type it, I will develop 6 cancers and die by Friday, but we'll see.

A) Roger Connor
B) Ed Delahanty
C) Sam Thompson
D) Dan Brouthers

For the record, I am going to give everyone a point on the question I never posted an answer to, and I have since lost that paper (and I can't remember what the question was) so here's the top three so far:

1) Cajole - 7
1) Sanjuro - 7
2) Windu - 5
2) Eznark - 5
3) RBH - 4
I'll go with
B

Malo

Banned

A) Roger Connor
B) Ed Delahanty
C) Sam Thompson
D) Dan Brouthers

For the record, I am going to give everyone a point on the question I never posted an answer to, and I have since lost that paper (and I can't remember what the question was) so here's the top three so far:

1) Cajole - 7
1) Sanjuro - 7
2) Windu - 5
2) Eznark - 5
3) RBH - 4
B.

RBH

A) Roger Connor
B) Ed Delahanty
C) Sam Thompson
D) Dan Brouthers

1) Cajole - 7
1) Sanjuro - 7
2) Windu - 5
2) Eznark - 5
3) RBH - 4

B

A) Roger Connor
B) Ed Delahanty
C) Sam Thompson
D) Dan Brouthers

1) Cajole - 7
1) Sanjuro - 7
2) Windu - 5
2) Eznark - 5
3) RBH - 4

B. what a plunge.....

eznark

Banned
lol

Piss collector didn't even put the samples into a cooler or fridge or anything, just stuck them in his basement. Now, regardless of anything else surrounding this case that is fucking idiotic.

Sanjuro

BREAKING NEWS: Valentine responded back to Francona's "PR move" comment.

“Remember,” Valentine said on Monday when asked about Francona’s “PR” assertion, “you’re getting paid over there [ESPN] for saying stuff. You get paid over here for doing stuff.

BEER AND CHICKEN CHICKEN AND BEER EINHORN IS A MAN

tc farks

lol

Piss collector didn't even put the samples into a cooler or fridge or anything, just stuck them in his basement. Now, regardless of anything else surrounding this case that is fucking idiotic.

Given the lateness of the hour that I completed my collections, there was no FedEx office located within 50 miles of Miller Park that would ship packages that day or Sunday. Therefore, the earliest that the specimens could be shipped was Monday, October 3. In that circumstance, CDT has instructed collectors since I began in 2005 that they should safeguard the samples in their homes until FedEx is able to immediately ship the sample to the laboratory, rather than having the samples sit for one day or more at a local FedEx office. The protocol has been in place since 2005 when I started with CDT and there have been other occasions when I have had to store samples in my home for at least one day, all without incident.

The FedEx Clinic Pack containing Mr. Braun's samples never left my custody. Consistent with CDT's instructions, I brought the FedEx Clinic Pack containing the samples to my home. Immediately upon arriving home, I placed the FedEx Clinic Pack in a Rubbermaid container in my office which is located in my basement. My basement office is sufficiently cool to store urine samples. No one other than my wife was in my home during the period in which the samples were stored. The sealed Specimen Boxes were not removed from the FedEx Clinic Pack during the entire period in which they were in my home. On Monday, October 3, I delivered the FedEx Clinic Pack containing Mr. Braun's Specimen Box to a FedEx office for delivery to the laboratory on Tuesday, October 4. At no point did I tamper in any way with the samples. It is my understanding that the samples were received at the laboratory with all tamper-resistant seals intact.

Is it really "fucking idiotic?" Seems to be standard protocol.

There was no spontaneous generation of synthetic testosterone due to the samples sitting in his basement.

There was no spontaneous generation of synthetic testosterone due to the samples sitting in his basement.

Maybe it was a really manly basement. WHat if he had, like, a weight bench and some Steven Segal DVDs down there?

eznark

Banned

What's fucking idiotic about it is that it directly contradicts the leagues statement that the samples were kept in a cooler. It was also reported that it was in anything from a standard cooler to a refrigerator. Were my livlihood on the line, I'd hope that the guy responsible would do more than put the samples in his basement in a cardboard box for two days.

Also clearly not "standard protocol" or Braun wouldn't have gotten off on a "technicality."

I don't get why the FedEx thing hasn't been verified. Both sides are saying complete opposites. Is the level of reporting really so fucking pathetic at ESPN that no one there can use a phone? Are they just waiting for an anonymous source within FedEx to give them a list of hours?

Brett Myers is the new closer for the Houston Astros. His vesting option was changed due to the change in role. His owed 11 million this year and if his option doesn't vest next year, the Astros will have a 3 million buyout option. Myers has the experience closing, but this hurts his trade value. Would have been a nice pickup at the deadline to round out a rotation for a playoff push

And I picked up Lyon this year thinking I would get some needed saves. I guess its holds now

tc farks

I don't know what the league statement says. But this guy who has been testing people for 7 years now said his basement was sufficiently cool to store the samples and the seals were never broken. And it never made testosterone levels higher for anyone else. I'm tired of talking about it, but no, I don't believe this guy or his actions were fucking idiotic. Temperature was low enough + sealed.

Here's the link to this statement:
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7625756/statement-dino-laurenzi-jr-collected-samples-ryan-braun-case

eznark

Banned
I don't know what the league statement says. But this guy who has been testing people for 7 years now said his basement was sufficiently cool to store the samples and the seals were never broken. And it never made testosterone levels higher for anyone else. I'm tired of talking about it, but no, I don't believe this guy or his actions were fucking idiotic. Temperature was low enough + sealed.

Here's the link to this statement:
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7625756/statement-dino-laurenzi-jr-collected-samples-ryan-braun-case

I'm guessing the league strongly, strongly disagrees.

tc farks

Also clearly not "standard protocol" or Braun wouldn't have gotten off on a "technicality."

The statement just said that he followed everything according to protocol. Take it home, keep it cool and sealed. I'm assuming this is why the MLB was so pissed about the ruling. What the exact technicality was that Braun got off on, I don't know. But it's clearly evident his positive sample was just that - a positive sample.

eznark

Banned
Remember when they also claimed to have Braun's back at the beginning of this?

The league, she is a fickle mistress.

Also, it was almost 70 degrees on October 1st and 73 degrees on October 2nd. I have no idea what "cool enough" is, but I'm guessing near room temperature isn't it.

Like I said, right now I'm not interested in the results just in what a dumbass this guy is. If that standard operating procedure, that is idiotic, unless his basement has somehow been tested and approved by MLB. This is billions of dollars on the line.

Braves 1B Freddie Freeman dislocated his kneecap taking infield drills. Freeman said he suffered the same injury in the minors in 2010 and he was fine in two weeks.

Jon

Ok! Answer time! The answer is...

B. "Big Ed" Delahanty hit four in one game on July 13, 1896. (Bobby Lowe was the first to turn the feat in 1894, with all four being inside-the-park homers.) Delahanty led the league in slugging four times. He died tragically when walking in on Frankman with a fuck pill--err--being put off a train for drunk and disorderly conduct he either fell or was pushed off the Internation Bridge near Niagara Falls. His body was swept over the falls.

Congrats to everyone except for Windu, who has learned a tough lesson--playing it straight doesn't pay.

I miss you Frank, come back home.

tc farks

Remember when they also claimed to have Braun's back at the beginning of this?

The league, she is a fickle mistress.

Also, it was almost 70 degrees on October 1st and 73 degrees on October 2nd. I have no idea what "cool enough" is, but I'm guessing near room temperature isn't it.

Like I said, right now I'm not interested in the results just in what a dumbass this guy is. If that standard operating procedure, that is idiotic, unless his basement has somehow been tested and approved by MLB. This is billions of dollars on the line.

Well here's my half-assed google search, Yahoo Answers!

Samples should be stored in a refrigerator. If stored for extended periods of time then they should be frozen. The integrity of our samples is ensured by our proprietary vacuum seal. As long as the sample remains in its vacuum seal it may be kept at room temperature away from direct sunlight for days at a time. It will be good for up to six months, in the vacuum seal, if stored in the refrigerator. If frozen in the vacuum seal, it can last for about 1 year. Once the sample is removed from the vacuum seal, it should not remain at room temperature for more than 18 hours. It will keep in the refrigerator, unsealed, for 30 days. In the freezer, an unsealed bag can last up to 6 months.
Source(s):
http://www.ureasample.com/faq.shtml#1

I still don't think what he did made the test results positive. And I'm not going to question the intelligence of this man because of Ryan Braun's defense team. I've seen what high priced defense teams do, they try to ruin the reputation of whomever is in the way of their client. My guess is the gravity of the situation swayed the arbiter's decision more so that what this drug tester actually did. There was a shred of possible doubt, that's how Braun got off on a technicality. IMO.

Joe

Valentine grinned a little today when he recalled how retired Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek "beat up" Yankees star Alex Rodriguez during a confrontation in 2004.

He also called into question the claim that Derek Jeter practiced his famed flip-to-home relay that nailed Jeremy Giambi at the plate in Game 3 of the ALDS in 2001.

On Jeter's clutch play, Valentine says he believes the initial throw from the outfield would have got Giambi without the flip. And on the Yankees saying Jeter practiced it, Valentine said "I don't believe it."

Oh God he's so lame.

Bobby V experiment in Boston will not end well, calling it now.

hiryu2015

Did they ever say which cup (A or B) resulted in the positive? I would assume A, since a negative test there rules out testing of B. If so, what did sample B result in?

You can keep urine collections at room temperature for up to 2 days (like when patients who do home urine collection for testing), but it should be refrigerated if longer. I didn't find any other info related to urine collection in my brief search through the med literature but I'll prob look again later. Metabolites of potential PEDs (or whatever substance they found, an article simply mentioned testosterone) would be very hard and useless to place in 2 samples unless they could reproduce similar lab values in both tainted samples. The whole storage incident (especially the established protocol for after hrs handling) is fairly stupid though, it's why the whole thing was thrown out (and not for the actual results of the test).

Any good deals for MLB.tv Premium this year? I see spring training games are going to begin airing on 3/3!

eznark

Banned
Ok! Answer time! The answer is...

B. "Big Ed" Delahanty hit four in one game on July 13, 1896. (Bobby Lowe was the first to turn the feat in 1894, with all four being inside-the-park homers.) Delahanty led the league in slugging four times. He died tragically when walking in on Frankman with a fuck pill--err--being put off a train for drunk and disorderly conduct he either fell or was pushed off the Internation Bridge near Niagara Falls. His body was swept over the falls.

Congrats to everyone except for Windu, who has learned a tough lesson--playing it straight doesn't pay.

I miss you Frank, come back home.

Woo!

Holy shit I did not know the last part of that story. Imagine how much shit the train company would be in if that happened today.

a package going from Milwakee to Montreal would take 1-2 days to deliver via Fed-ex international priority, three days at most. so I'm not sure that fed-ex would be the best option to get something over to the lab quick. they need to use a specialized couriere service because there is too much risk with Fed-ex. what if there is a storm? the package gets delayed.

JABEE

a package going from Milwakee to Montreal would take 1-2 days to deliver via Fed-ex international priority, three days at most. so I'm not sure that fed-ex would be the best option to get something over to the lab quick. they need to use a specialized couriere service because there is too much risk with Fed-ex. what if there is a storm? the package gets delayed.

They should have gone with Fred Ex. He always delivers.

So MLB.TV decided to charge me $25 for Spring Training games that I did not order based on my subscription from last year, which I canned in July after the Mets tanked.

What the fuck is up with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom