• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
Giants park in Scottsdale is gorgeous. In all the years I've been coming down here I never bothered to go over there just because I'm sick of Scottsdale. Well worth it. 12,000 people for a spring game!

Blearth

Banned
I feel so welcome.

Group hug!

t1larg.giants.jpg

h3ro

Apparently we're all endangered species now. I wanted to make sure you all saw Alex's glorious mug this morning, in case it all goes up in smoke. Thank you for teaching me what OPS, UZR and all that other stuff is. Council, I salute you.

A9h60.jpg

:)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Caught the Braves - Yankees spring training game yesterday. Was some fun stuff although it was completely packed and utterly chaotic. They had some national cheerleader competition going on at the complex at the same time as a weekend Yankees game, yeah that wasn't the greatest of ideas.

Pineda looked like garbage. Didn't record a single pitch above 90 according to the stadium gun and he was physically struggling, completely gassed by the third inning. I have no idea whats going on here.

Cabral who came in after looked really, really good definitely the most impressive pitcher in the game overall. Rule 5 guy I believe but looks like a total steal pulled off by Cash. Arm was electric with his fastball sitting at around 93 and some filthy movement including a nasty changeup.

Alex Rodriguez looks like he's lost a ton of weight from the last time I saw him in person last season. His thighs are literally like half the sized they used to be, I guess he's off the juice or something.

Brett Gardner is insanely fast in person. Dropped a bunt early on and beat it out by a ton. Chipper being the old ass he is didn't really bother going for it, or any other ball hit in his general vicinity basically, and he made some sweet plays out in CF.

On the Braves side, Jurrjens looked terrible too. No velocity or movement and absolutely no control. At one point I think he threw around 11 straight balls.

Some shortstop named Simmons on the Braves made the sickest play I've seen in a long time. Full dive on a grounder in the hole, rolled around to one knee and got the lead runner out at third on a great throw while being off balance. Was really damn sick, most impressive play of the day overall.

Dan Uggla is really, really stocky in person. He's totally going to be a mega fatass when his playing days are done. Larry is pretty awesome, me and my buddy were heckling him chanting Larry and he smiled and just said Mets fans (as my buddy was wearing his Mets shirt), which kind of hurt since I'm obviously not a Mets fan.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
On the Braves side, Jurrjens looked terrible too. No velocity or movement and absolutely no control. At one point I think he threw around 11 straight balls.

Some shortstop named Simmons on the Braves made the sickest play I've seen in a long time. Full dive on a grounder in the hole, rolled around to one knee and got the lead runner out at third on a great throw while being off balance. Was really damn sick, most impressive play of the day overall.

Dan Uggla is really, really stocky in person. He's totally going to be a mega fatass when his playing days are done. Larry is pretty awesome, me and my buddy were heckling him chanting Larry and he smiled and just said Mets fans (as my buddy was wearing his Mets shirt), which kind of hurt since I'm obviously not a Mets fan.

Yeah, JJ walked 6 dudes. I find it hard to care this early in spring though.

Simmons is either our #1 or #2 shortstop prospect, depending on who you ask. Originally drafted as a RP, he's got plus-plus defense and a decent enough hit tool that he should make it as a regular someday soon.

Chipper's a smart man. Calls it like he sees it.

jakncoke

Banned
regular season needs to start so i can get some feeds of Pirates so i can bitch to the max level and dream that a few years from now we may not be as shitty

How's Santana looking? Boxscore looks good!
He looks good man. Good control, working a nice pace. Pitching inside-out. He's hitting 89 consistently. And fuck Rick Ankiel, Adam Loewen is the better ex-reliever turn outfielder out there.
Fuck he pitched well but Loewen missed a ball in CF.

If they destroy our thread, I'll always remember the good times. Shout outs to all the stupid "subcommunities" that have contributed to the backlash against OTs by either sucking, encouraging people to cut down outsiders/new users, or crying about not getting a sticky. Ponies, real photos, chatrooms, GAF cliques, non-American sports, unimportant American sports, fucking ponies, and so on.

Also, fuck you Pineda haters. He is working on a change. He can hit high 90s casually; we saw it all last season, and his velocity is ticking up each start this spring. He'll be good this season, goddammit.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
If they destroy our thread, I'll always remember the good times. Shout outs to all the stupid "subcommunities" that have contributed to the backlash against OTs by either sucking, encouraging people to cut down outsiders/new users, or crying about not getting a sticky. Ponies, real photos, chatrooms, GAF cliques, non-American sports, unimportant American sports, fucking ponies, and so on.
why would our thread be going away?

Other groups probably complained and that's why it's probably going to happen. Soon the OT will be nothing but threads where we can talk about the latest gimmick posters getting into relationships, or whether you should tip/go to the doctor/feed it pizza or something.

Sports and politics should be here the way they always were - but because ponies can't be here, we can't - in the interest of "fairness".

jakncoke

Banned
Other groups probably complained and that's why it's probably going to happen. Soon the OT will be nothing but threads where we can talk about the latest gimmick posters getting into relationships, or whether you should tip/go to the doctor/feed it pizza or something.

Sports and politics should be here the way they always were - but because ponies can't be here, we can't - in the interest of "fairness".

Don't forget the latest redditt rehash :p

h3ro

Also, fuck you Pineda haters. He is working on a change. He can hit high 90s casually; we saw it all last season, and his velocity is ticking up each start this spring. He'll be good this season, goddammit.

Agreed. Newsday reported he was up on his velocity (topped out at 92 in his first start, 94 in the second) and that he's not a lock for the rotation/No.2 spot behind CC right now as he's still really young and working on things.

Hughes has been hitting the mid-90s as well, which is fantastic news. I really hope Phil can bounce back.

Regarding all this moving thread nonsense, I wouldn't mind if all the threads got moved into Community. I only view Sports-GAF via the Subscription page anyway. Last thing we need is over moderation though. I say that in the most inclusive way possible.

Macattk15

I also watched him struggle to casually hit the high 90s towards the end of last season. He's probably fine though.

JambiBum

I don't really see the point of moving the sports threads. If anything it will just make us more inclusive because a lot of people don't even bother going into the community section unless they have a reason to.

Enron

Banned
I don't really see the point of moving the sports threads. If anything it will just make us more inclusive because a lot of people don't even bother going into the community section unless they have a reason to.

I think that's the point. So we can have math and science and literature threads or something stickied in OT in its place, instead of lowbrow garbage for the masses like sports, and have the sports threads reduced to a small core of posters. Easier to get rid of us that way!

HE'S REAL TO ME, DAMMIT!

If the sports threads get pushed into Community, whatever. PoliGAF is slowly getting itself back together after being sent into the Phantom Zone. Best-GAF will survive, it's not like there's a metric ton of posters in here, anyway.

If the sports megathreads get nuked altogether though, I say we napalm OT with smug A-rod pics.

turnbuckle

I think that's the point. So we can have math and science and literature threads or something stickied in OT in its place, instead of lowbrow garbage for the masses like sports, and have the sports threads reduced to a small core of posters. Easier to get rid of us that way!

The community forum is basically becoming the place for off-topic and gaming content that people care about (ie the types of things that warrant OT threads in the first place) and the absence of those types of gaming and off topic threads is diluting the quality of OT/Gaming in general.

I'm not sure what the "rules" for a topic being carted to the community thread is, but if it's for most OT stuff and it's being equally applied, the off topic thread will look more like a combination of Reddit reposts and random stuff few care about than something worth viewing on a daily basis. Just look at the off-topic thread right now, and 24 or 25 of the threads on the first page are either official threads or official threads by design (basically threads for shows, hardware platforms, or culture-specific threads as well as sports... ya know, stuff warranting "discussion" - and after all it's the off-topic discussion forum). It would seem those would qualify for being thrown into community instead. I really don't like this change to the forum policy. Gaming and OT are good enough, with the community being meant for game-specific online gaming communities.

I understand the want to not let some threads dominate the front page, but if that's a major concern I think it'd be better to have a "front page" forum dedicated to stuff that's newly posted rather than watering down the meat and potatoes forums (gaming + OT) and clogging up community.

/yelling at clouds

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
HE'S REAL TO ME, DAMMIT!

If the sports threads get pushed into Community, whatever. PoliGAF is slowly getting itself back together after being sent into the Phantom Zone. Best-GAF will survive, it's not like there's a metric ton of posters in here, anyway.

If the sports megathreads get nuked altogether though, I say we napalm OT with smug A-rod pics.
We'll take our balls and go home!

HeySeuss

Anybody go on vacation just to spend days near spring training games? I'm thinking of going to Goodyear AZ next year for a week just to soak in baseball games. Is it really a more personal experience where you can meet the players and get autographs and photos and shit?

I've also been toying around with signing up for the Reds geyser league where you play with the older players. That sounds like a good time but its really pricy.

eznark

Banned
Anybody go on vacation just to spend days near spring training games? I'm thinking of going to Goodyear AZ next year for a week just to soak in baseball games. Is it really a more personal experience where you can meet the players and get autographs and photos and shit?

I've also been toying around with signing up for the Reds geyser league where you play with the older players. That sounds like a good time but its really pricy.

Been in Phoenix all week! I come down every year. I think next year we're gonna stay a month instead of a week. It's been a ton of fun with my daughter, we weren't sure how she'd do.

This is probably the 10th or so time I've come down. So rad. If you are friendly and not a fucking weirdo you'll meet and hang out with players. This year I met a number of the Brewers just because their daughters were playing with mine in the lawn seats and my wife got to know the wives. I used to play a pickup basketball game with some of the players and writers when I first came down just because we had mutual friends.

HeySeuss

Damn that sounds cool. I couldn't do a month though, do you have family nearby or an RV?

I love Arizona anyway and am seriously considering retiring there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom