• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
Damn that sounds cool. I couldn't do a month though, do you have family nearby or an RV?

I love Arizona anyway and am seriously considering retiring there.

We're renting a house. I have a bunch of friends that live in Scottsdale that I used to stay with back when I was a reckless rake. I literally flipped a coin in 2006 to decide where to move, Scottsdale or Boston. Boston won.

no disrespect opiate but the way you posted here during the playoffs was trollish and disrespectful not to mention patronizing.
I've never seen anyone enter a thread about a hobby/interest that a group of people post in and tell them that they are wasting their time.
it is my business as a free willed individual how I waste my time and what I pursue as an interest. so move us to community then, OT will be flooded with so many stories about pizza being fed to saber toothed cats who are breaking up with their little pony while killing 57 people so fast you'll beg us to come back. again, no disrespect because I'm not looking to get banned but this is how I feel.

^^^

Yeah, that was pretty bad form considering the shitpiles of worthless threads that usually constitute OT. Coming into a sports thread and essentially belittling the fans for caring about the sport? Really? I was especially bitter since I believed that all transpired after the NLCS concluded, so I was reading his posts in a drunken rage.

^^^

Yeah, that was pretty bad form considering the shitpiles of worthless threads that usually constitute OT. Coming into a sports thread and essentially belittling the fans for caring about the sport? Really? I was especially bitter since I believed that all transpired after the NLCS concluded, so I was reading his posts in a drunken rage.

it specially got bad immediately after game 6 of the world series when he was using that whole 45% chance that Texas would win and how it's ... it don't matter, if they wanted the forum to be one big kumbaya where we all schedule play dates together they wouldn't have let it grow so big.
it's 100,000 members, you can't expect for everyone have the same exact interests. video games is first I agree but we should be given a little leeway in how much levity we can have. it is video games and sports after all.

Doytch

As long as I don't have to update my thread subscriptions I don't care. I barely look at other threads anymore, so I don't have to deal with idiot posters and powertripping mods on a videogame [lol @ anyone who participates in Gaming side slinging mud at sports fans] forum.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I don't see it as weakening OT, I see it as strengthening Community.

It's the principle of it that is so offensive. It's like being traded from the NL to the AL, you lose all form of purity and denigrate yourself to playing substandard baseball while biting your lip and collecting that paycheck. That is basically what moving to community will be.

And 100% agree with that rant against Opiate. But he's just the figurehead for Evilore who is the real guy wanting to take the sledgehammer to sportsgaf.

Jon

Nobody watches that crap though.

Truth, Community is overrated.

Either way, here's a trivia question!

Which pitchers were the most recent teammates to win 20 games in the same season?

A) Mike Hampton and Jose Lima
B) Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling
C) Tom Glavine and John Smoltz
D) Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine

RBH

Which pitchers were the most recent teammates to win 20 games in the same season?

B

eznark

Banned
are u whining about being moved to community lol

At this point is prefer it. If we are offending te highly refined and holier than thou sensibilities of some of GAFs self appointed nobility then I'd just as soon we take to the back alleys and sewers of community where plebes such as we will not disturb the enlightened palates of the Snobbery.

cashman

Banned
I'm at rangers camp right now, and it's been pretty fun so far. Yesterday was my first day, and I got a few autographs and saw the big league team take bp. I did see darvish work out a little, and can comfirm that his pitches have crazy movement.

Also everything in Phoenix has been built in the last five years.

eznark

Banned
I'm at rangers camp right now, and it's been pretty fun so far. Yesterday was my first day, and I got a few autographs and saw the big league team take bp. I did see darvish work out a little, and can comfirm that his pitches have crazy movement.

Also everything in Phoenix has been built in the last five years.

Try to get to Scottsdale Stadium. Very cool. But get there early.

We're headed to the zoo today since its an off day for the Crew.

h3ro

I'll go with B.

Malo

Banned

B.

Vargas

B.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

B

Hey, Santiago Casilla, could you please not bounce your breaking ball off Mike Moustakas' kneecap before the season even starts? Louis Coleman can do it, too.

Chipper to retire tomorrow?

After Chipper Jones discussed some encouraging signs he saw from the struggling, 1-10 Braves in a 5-4 loss to the Cardinals on Monday, the third baseman confided his most difficult spring training has him wondering how much more he can take.

His balky right knee is hurting even more than he thought it would. This spring, he's 0-for-8 with three walks in just four games. He's already made two errors at third base in the short time he's played the field.

Chipper, who will turn 40 on April 24, sounds as if he's leaning increasingly towards retirement after this season. In fact, in a soundbyte that will send baseball media stirring, he admitted that he may not make it through this season and could even take it home as early as tomorrow.

"Tomorrow might be my last day," he said. "I don't know. I don't really focus on it that much. The body is starting to tell me every morning when I wake up that we're getting closer to the end. I'm signed through the end of this year. If I play in a certain amount of games [123], my $7 million option next year becomes locked in at $9 million. If I play a higher amount of games [140], $9 million becomes $14 million. I don't know what 2013 entails. I really don't know if I can make it through this year."

If Chipper decides to retire during spring training or at some point in the season, the Braves would shift Martin Prado to 3B and likely utilize a platoon of Matt Diaz and Jose Constanza in LF.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Kevin Goldstein Farm System Rankings
1. San Diego Padres
System At a Glance: They might lack that one marquee name, but no system in baseball can boast of having as many players at the upper levels who project as average or better big leaguers.

2. Toronto Blue Jays
System At a Glance: A ridiculous number of high-ceiling teenage arms to go with some elite up-the-middle talent.

3. St. Louis Cardinals
System At a Glance: They've suddenly become a drafting and development beast, with plenty of help coming beginning in 2013.

4. Oakland Athletics
System At a Glance: The rebuilding has begun with a greatly enriched farm system set up for a window that doesn't exist until MLB gets off their hands in terms of a potential move.

5. Kansas City Royals
System At a Glance: Down a bit due mostly to big league promotions, but some rebounds from the lefties that disappointed in 2011 would be nice.
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=16208
Chipper to retire tomorrow?
i think he was just saying he doesn't know how long he can play for, it could be tomorrow it could be 2013.

Jon

Ahh so I left work and forgot to post the answer!

The answer is B! Congrats to those who got it, I'll update the standings tomorrow morning. Fucking work man...so busy.

I cannot wait for real baseball to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom