• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Am7TQ6WCAAE95Kp.jpg

Fuck fuck mother fuck. I think Sal Perez is really hurt. He limped off the field after one inning yesterday. Today, the team is saying he has a sore knee, and they've been strangely quiet about it. Ned Yost let the term "ACL" slip. Now Perez has just tweeted this:

Heading to KC today -- Thanks to all the fans for the support . I will work hard to be back as soon as possible - God bless you

Also, this:

Saliendo para KC hoy -- Gracias a todos los fans por estar pendiente de mi - Con el favor de Dios estare de vuelta pronto - Dios los Bendiga

"With the help of God, I'll be back soon"??!? And he's leaving ST early.

:(

Sanjuro

There is no Ranger series until July with the Red Sox. Turned out nicely last season to watch us get crushed to open the season.

Looks liked I'm headed to Texas for their series against the Yankees. Sharing a common enemy over mustard talk.

RBH

There is no Ranger series until July with the Red Sox. Turned out nicely last season to watch us get crushed to open the season.

Looks liked I'm headed to Texas for their series against the Yankees. Sharing a common enemy over mustard talk.

Don't forget the ketchup!

RBH

Via a series of text messages between AJC beat writer David O'Brien and Atlanta Braves third baseman Chipper Jones comes this follow up from yesterday's comments from Chipper about retirement:

tweet-dob-chipper3_medium.png

Chipper also added, "LOL".

But seriously, more reason not to have overreacted to yesterday's comments. Which I don't believe I (we) did. Chipper added these comments to MLB beat writer Mark Bowman:

“Unfortunately, I said it around two guys who don’t know me very well and they didn’t realize I was kidding around,” Jones said. “One of the guys asked, ‘You think you can make it through the season with your knees?’ I said, ‘Make it through the season, I don’t know if I can make it through tomorrow.’ Obviously, I’m joking. That’s an obvious joke. Really, I just came off the field after playing eight innings. I’ve had eight at-bats all spring. I was kidding around.

At any rate, Chipper is in it for the whole season. You may now resume your daily freakout about the Braves spring training record...

UPDATE 2:20pm

I had a conversation with David O'Brien about this, as the quotes from Chipper first ran in his column, and here is the story behind the story: DOB was interviewing Chipper along with Jon Paul Morosi of Fox and a St. Louis beat writer. When the questions turned to general baseball questions and some St. Louis related baseball questions, DOB went to grab some quotes from a few other Braves players he needed to get quotes from as they came into the clubhouse and out of the game. That's when the quotes that stirred up all this controversy occurred. Later in the press box DOB simply got those quotes from the other reporters who where there (who don't know Chipper all that well, and may not have known he was kidding). This kind of note sharing happens quite a bit around the press room, so it is not uncommon.

The story would have run on FoxSports.com anyway, so DOB's quotes were just a few hours ahead of Morosi's story. The bus that took the players back to Orlando yesterday had left by the time the game was over and DOB got back down to the clubhouse, so he was not able to follow up with Chipper yesterday.

Anyway, there you have it. Just some quotes taken the wrong way. It's happened before, and it will happen again. I appreciate DOB helping us clear this up.
http://www.talkingchop.com/2012/3/13/2867997/chipper-update

JambiBum

The only time I want to watch the Tigers is when Verlander is pitching. I just want to see if he can get through Kate Upton's doorway.

a Nats beat writer said Zimmerman had same injury that caused him to miss 60 gms. Wright says he will be ready for Opening Day. I see him missing whole season after surgeons remove his rib cage.

Jon

Doc got lit up in his start today...are we doomed? Is this the beginning of the end of the Phillies string of success??!

And, Sal Perez is leaving ST on crutches. Holy shit. Dayton Moore giving a press conference shortly. The GM giving a press conference on an injury can't be good.

EDIT: Torn meniscus. He's going under the knife for it. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck. At least it's not an ACL.

David Wright to resume baseball activities tomorrow as per Terry Collins. Apparently tear is healing and appears to be not serious.

surgery next week

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Okay so based on spring training so far I'm going to go ahead and pencil in some meaningful games for the Blue Jays in September.

Cause spring training is the perfect indicator for how the season goes I assume?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Okay so based on spring training so far I'm going to go ahead and pencil in some meaningful games for the Blue Jays in September.

Cause spring training is the perfect indicator for how the season goes I assume?

*looks at Braves' spring training record*

Yes.

Macattk15

If that's true, the Mariners will also be playing some meaningful games in September. They've been smashing the hell out of the ball in ST so far.

Too bad it will all disappear in April.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom