• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
For BravesGAF (who also happen to be GeorgiaGAF)

license_plate.jpg

So what are you saying? Braves fans need to learn the alphabet and to count?

eznark

Banned
Frankie De La Cruz may turn out to be a hell of a pick up for the Cubs. Guy can pitch. He looked tentative and (shockingly) more out of shape than he did last year but he has an arsenal of pitches. Good luck to him. Nice guy.

84-year-old Vin Scully has informed the Dodgers that he will no longer travel to Denver, CO to call road games against the Rockies. He has also informed them he will not travel to Seattle, WA for an interleague series against the Mariners.

Scully will now only travel to Phoenix, AZ, San Diego, CA, and San Francisco, CA to call road games against the Diamondbacks, Padres, and Giants.

eznark

Banned
84-year-old Vin Scully has informed the Dodgers that he will no longer travel to Denver, CO to call road games against the Rockies. He has also informed them he will not travel to Seattle, WA for an interleague series against the Mariners.

Scully will now only travel to Phoenix, AZ, San Diego, CA, and San Francisco, CA to call road games against the Diamondbacks, Padres, and Giants.

Can't believe he is 84...

I honestly thought the man was older. He must have been very young when he started.

Ugh more Charley Steiner?

oh well I guess...Time for him to step up his game

bluemax

Banned

Sad but understandable.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I wonder which team will have the most injuries this year: the Braves, the Mets, or the Phillies? That will be a tight race.

The Padres were already dealt a blow on Saturday as they found out they will be without slugger Carlos Quentin until around the first week of May. The 2011 All-Star outfielder will be undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery on his right knee and will miss 4-6 weeks.

The Padres acquired Quentin from the White Sox on December 31 in exchange for minor league pitchers Pedro Hernandez and Simon Castro.

Quentin will be a free agent after the season.

clav

Fantasy baseball GAF:

Would you keep Jose Reyes over Erick Aybar at the cost of a first round pick in a H2H keeper league?

Aybar would take away my last round pick, and I think with Albert Pujols with the Angels, he could potentially score more runs.

Then again, the Marlins lineup with Reyes is going to be something, but I somehow can't justify keeping him at the cost of a first round.

However, I know when second round comes along, he's going to be first to be picked.

Ugh.

edit: Hm. I guess I'll try for a strategy to not focus on SS and keep someone else for better value at a lower cost. Keeping Aybar would pretty much be a throwaway.

Adam Rubin Twitter said:
Heard from multiple scouts Mets haven't been looking for backup lefty-hitting OF. Signs point to Adam Loewen or Mike Baxter-not outside add.
That's new, all signs were pointing to poaching a LHH that gets cut after March 20th. Then again it does make sense.

clav

Fantasy baseball GAF:

Would you keep Jose Reyes over Erick Aybar at the cost of a first round pick in a H2H keeper league?

Aybar would take away my last round pick, and I think with Albert Pujols with the Angels, he could potentially score more runs.

Then again, the Marlins lineup with Reyes is going to be something, but I somehow can't justify keeping him at the cost of a first round.

However, I know when second round comes along, he's going to be first to be picked.

Ugh.

edit: Hm. I guess I'll try for a strategy to not focus on SS and keep someone else for better value at a lower cost. Keeping Aybar would pretty much be a throwaway.

Man a lot of my questions are solved by mock drafting and thinking what the other people in the league will do.

I'll have to pick Jose Reyes anyway by what people are keeping, so that answers that. Might as well keep him as a guarantee.

clemenx

Banned
It would've been funny if he had a better reason. He was just pissed that Napoli said he wanted to hit a HR off him. Totally childish.

Flunkie

Banned
Really? That's why? C.J. Wilson just got pegged a few notches in my book. Good thing I don't own him. I rosterbate too much to own someone I hate.

Enron

Banned
Does any club hate its fans more than the Marlins? Jeez, what a bunch of fuckheads, along with the city.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/15/2695445/in-a-switch-miami-marlins-to-sell.html#storylink=cpy

Residents furious over new Marlins stadium parking rules

By Adam H. Beasley and Melissa Sanchez

Residents near the new Marlins ballpark unleashed their fury and frustration on the city and its major-league club Thursday evening, saying a newly unveiled parking plan for the neighborhood will make their lives miserable.
The plan sets aside a few blocks near the ballpark where area residents can park. But it bans residential parking on many more stretches — to accommodate baseball fans coming to watch a game.

People who live on those banned blocks will have to find somewhere else to park on the 81 times a year — mostly night games — when the Marlins play at home.

Francisco Ferra Rosa, a day laborer who lives in 1500 block of Northwest Third Street, is one of those who will have to relocate his car on game nights.

Already, he said, he has gotten two tickets for parking in front of his home. One was for $28 and he couldn’t pay it. Now, with late fees, it’s $47. He met with a Miami Parking Authority representative before Thursday’s presentation to plead his case.

“I make $8 per hour,” he said. “I can’t afford this.”

With less than three weeks before the new stadium’s first regular season game, parking — or the lack of it — remains the biggest headache facing the neighborhood and the Marlins.

Thursday’s town hall meeting was intended to soothe neighborhood concerns, although it may have done the opposite. It was held in one of the gleaming new parking garages along the ballpark’s perimeter and drew a crowd of about 200 residents. When the team is in town, those garages are off-limits to those residents, unless they buy a ticket to the game.

Mercedes San Miguel, 48, lives in a green zone, meaning parking will be allowed by cars with city-issued decals. But she works late into the evening and fears that by then all of the available parking will be taken.

“I’m very worried about having to walk blocks alone,” San Miguel said. “And those aren’t safe blocks.”

Elio Diaz, a 48-year-old construction worker, has no driver’s license and no car to park, but is upset nonetheless. His father, a California resident, comes for extended visits each year and brings along his automobile.

“What’s he going do with his car?” Diaz asked. “He should get a spot.”

The recipient of their ire on Thursday was Rolando Tapanes, director of planning and development for the Miami Parking Authority.

When residents asked questions — usually in Spanish, and on stadium-related grievances that sometimes extended far beyond parking — Tapanes generally either didn’t have an answer or lacked the authority to provide one.

“We’re asking the residents to make a sacrifice,” MPA Director Art Noriega explained before the meeting. “We can’t leave them parking on some of those streets. The logjam we’ll have on these streets, people won’t be able to get to the games.”

Some of those in attendance Thursday came waving freshly issued tickets they received either from police or the parking authority for parking where they have always parked — on their own block.

After it was over, the residents were anything but soothed.

Adela Otero, 57, declared: “We’re still without parking, without solutions, without anything. I don’t know why the city had us come here.”

But Xochitl Perez, 52, was more sympathetic.

“Thank you for listening to everyone’s frustrations,” she said to Tapanes after the meeting.. “I realize that you came here just to deal with the parking issue. It just seems like the Marlins are laughing at us. It’s not you guys. It’s not the city. It’s the Marlins — the ones who have been benefiting from all our tax dollars.”

Meanwhile, another important piece of stadium parking news emerged Thursday, courtesy of the ballclub. On Wednesday, the team began widely selling single-game parking passes to Marlins Park’s garages and surrounding lots — after saying for months they would be reserved for season-ticket holders, players, staff and members of the media.

“There were some spots left over, and we’ve opened them up to everyone,” said Marlins spokeswoman Carolina Perrina de Diego.

The Marlins are charging $15 per spot — a 50 percent bump over what they’re paying the city, which owns the parking garages — and are offering space on-property for every home game, except their nationally televised season-opener against the St. Louis Cardinals on April 4.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Take this with a grain of salt:

Buddy of mine claims he's sitting next to a giants scout and he only has notes on one player...Edwin Encarnacion.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I want to say good stuff about Mike Minor, but he's facing a Baltimore Orioles split squad today. Pretty sure that I could put up a 5ip, 0runs line as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom