• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenix

Good to know, my MLB.tv stream hasn't returned from commercial yet.

Edit: Yep, Bautista's rounding third when it came back.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Liriano had a nice day today. Charlie Morton did not.

Matt Moore is also kicking himself in the showers today.

CygnusXS

Unlike Frankman I don't try to hide the fact I like anime. Pretending you don't like something just because you want to avoid some sort of public ridicule is utterly ridiculous.

Liking it openly or denying your obvious interest, really what's the difference? Note: I have watched and liked certain anime series in the past, so I am not judging the material itself (mostly).

Unlike Frankman I don't try to hide the fact I like anime. Pretending you don't like something just because you want to avoid some sort of public ridicule is utterly ridiculous.
I don't deny I like animation. I judge it like any other medium and call out shit when I see it. And "avoiding public ridicule?" lol.

Questioning why Pelf still has a job? take a look at his history of ST starts... they're never good. Even that year he started like a house of fire he had arguably the worse ST a starting pitcher has had known to man. In an interview last year he pretty much admitted he uses Spring to work on control issues/fool around with grips/pitches and tries to get serious the last 1-2 starts of Spring. I'm not defending the man, because Mets fans know what Pelfrey is. However, you'd think something who was watched Mike every Spring would know this. THAT'S what my earlier comment was directed at, how you don't know about Spring Training Mike Pelfrey is amazing to me. He's been like this almost EVERY SPRING, it's hilarious:
Pelf done after 2.2 IP and giving up a walk to Jed Lowrie. 81 pitches, 46 strikes, 8 ER, 8 H, 4 BB, 1 HR, 1 WP, 4 K's. #Mets
by abadlani91 via twitter 2:26 PM
He'll then start the year maybe winning a few games, then teams will adjust and he'll start being old Mike Pelfrey.

lolwhat

espn-505x600.jpg

It's not like it's gonna encourage any Dodgers/Giants violence that may result in somebody getting beaten into a coma..... oh wait.

Questioning why Pelf still has a job? take a look at his history of ST starts... they're never good. Even that year he started like a house of fire he had arguably the worse ST a starting pitcher has had known to man.

Pelfrey's career went into a tailspin the moment that fugly chick turned up to ST wearing a Go Big Pelf t shirt a couple of years ago. I wouldn't have recovered from that type of humilation either.

2328467161_7dcd5f5118.jpg

Jangocube

Banned
I want to say good stuff about Mike Minor, but he's facing a Baltimore Orioles split squad today. Pretty sure that I could put up a 5ip, 0runs line as well.

You know our offense is pretty good right? Check last years stuff and stfu.

Our pitching on the other hand...

CygnusXS

You know our offense is pretty good right? Check last years stuff and stfu.

Our pitching on the other hand...

Uh, sure, but... did you see your team's lineup today against the Braves? I think there were 2 MLB players, and the rest were from A ball.

Mets Centerfield Depth Chart

Andres Torres
Scott Hairston
Adam Loewen
Jason Bay
Kirk Neiuwenheis
Mike Baxter
Ronny Cedeño
Matt Den Dekker
Raul Reyes
Lorenzo Scott
Mookie Wilson <--- New Guy, just arrived at camp today
Jonathan Malo
Darrell Ceciliani
Sean Ratliff
Mike Piazza
Nancy Pelosi
Nelson Mandela
That guy in your office who walks kinda funny
clemenx
Snooki
The Frankman

I need in on that depth chart. I taught Nyjer Morgan how to play outfield.

Plus, as one of the few human beings that actually think Snooki is cute, I feel like I should have at least a ST invite.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Rapid Reaction: Wilpons settle for $162M

WHAT HAPPENED: The owners of the New York Mets have settled with trustee Irving Picard for $162 million, their alleged profit from certain Ponzi scheme funds in the six years before Bernard Madoff's arrest.

In reality, Fred Wilpon and family will be on the hook for only a fraction of that amount -- and not be required to make payments until 2016 and 2017.

That's because, as part of the settlement, the Wilpons will be able to apply to the trustee to be reimbursed for $178 million in losses from certain funds. Obviously, like any victims of Madoff's Ponzi scheme, they won't recover every dollar. But they will get a certain percentage based on how much the trustee collects overall from net winners -- likely 50 percent or more.

As a result, the Wilpons' actual payment to Picard -- once the Wilpons' loser funds are reimbursed like other victims -- should be a fraction of the actual $162 million settlement.

Any disbursements owed on Wilpon loser funds over the next three years will be deducted from the $162 million owed by the Wilpons to Picard. The Wilpons then will owe the remaining amount in equal installments in four and five years.

The lawsuit sought to recover $386 million. Judge Jed S. Rakoff previously had decided that Picard likely was entitled to at least $83.3 million in profits from the two years before Madoff's arrest.

The original suit was for $1 billion, but it was reduced by Rakoff, who decided that Picard could only recover money from the Wilpons from the immediate two years before Madoff's arrest, not the six years Picard advocated. The settlement, while not overturning Rakoff's decision, does establish for the trustee six years as an acceptable period to recover profits.

The settlement talks were brokered by former New York governor Mario Cuomo.

WHAT IT MEANS: It's unlikely the Wilpons would have settled unless they felt they could withstand that financial obligation without jeopardizing their ownership of the team.

Still, the Wilpons are not out of the woods yet as owners.

Remember, the Mets still have a ton of debt unrelated to the lawsuit. Among the more immediate obligations are a $40 million bridge loan from Bank of America and $25 million emergency loan from Major League Baseball.

So apparently, the lawsuit is not a deathblow to the Wilpons, and they will still hold onto the Mets. Goddammit.

Jon

Utley going to miss opening day, per Ruben Amaro. The issue he had in his right knee has spread to his left knee, which is now the worse of both knees. Freddy Galvis confirmed as opening day starter.

Hmmm...

Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom