• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

Glad i put utley on my do not draft list. It sounds like he's done.

I think he is likely done. It sounds as if this is just a degenerative condition, and there's no real surgery option. I think he could come back in May sometime, maybe with Ryan Howard. I don't ever seeing him being an elite level second baseman again, one of key reasons the Phillies were an elite team for the past few years. We can probably navigate the NL with a replacement level 2B like Galvis (who might actually have a better defensive range than Chase), but there is one less bat for a clutch hit come playoff time.

Utley going to miss opening day, per Ruben Amaro. The issue he had in his right knee has spread to his left knee, which is now the worse of both knees. Freddy Galvis confirmed as opening day starter.

Hmmm...

Sigh.

I figured the writing was on the wall when he was missing from all of the ST games thus far. It's a real damn shame when it comes down to it. He's such a great player, it's a waste for him to have his career close in such a manner.

newjeruse

Utley going to miss opening day, per Ruben Amaro. The issue he had in his right knee has spread to his left knee, which is now the worse of both knees. Freddy Galvis confirmed as opening day starter.

Hmmm...

Sigh.
Sorry man. One of the true great players in the game has entered a rapid decline phase and it sucks to see. He was as fun to watch as anyone in the sport during his five-year peak.

Doytch

Utley's knee problems are degenerative. Best you could hope for is the Phillies resting him often, but given how Chawwwwwly played him after he came back last year....don't hold your breath.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Miguel Cabrera just got hit under his right eye by a line drive, blood GUSHING out of his face

edit: er, yeah a one hopper not a line drive

Enron

Banned
Wow, Miguel Cabrera just took a savage hop in the face and blood was pouring out of his face. Massive cut on his cheekbone under the eye, hopefully his eye was spared any effect.

Only 162 million? Deferred payment until 2016-2017?

PdM5d.gif

*reads in addition to 83 million*

at least it's finally fucking over.

Malo

Banned
I wouldn't go that far. We're still going to win the World Series, so I mean, while I like seeing Chase out on the field, I will still enjoy seeing him on the parade route.
You were so pessimistic during the 09 playoffs. Was it the the lost of psylidge that has you so confident now?

Any damage to Miggy's eye?

This is terrible news. The team is falling apart.

I am not worried yet. Pence will pick up some of the slack, and hopefully Mayberry will continue his clutch hitting from last year. If the offense is only as bad as it was last year they can still win the division, if it is much worse then yeah they are fucked.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

Hmmm...

Sigh.

Wow.
Miguel Cabrera just got hit under his right eye by a line drive, blood GUSHING out of his face

edit: er, yeah a one hopper not a line drive

Wow.

Jon

You were so pessimistic during the 09 playoffs. Was it the the lost of psylidge that has you so confident now?

Any damage to Miggy's eye?

I just think this team isn't going to give a fuck, and we're going to get it done. I really like our bullpen this year, so although the offense will be anemic at times, we should scratch together enough runs to get into the playoffs. Then, it's all about matchups and who is hot at the right time. I just think the team knows the window is closing (with the core group of players) and will be motivated to get it done this year.

As for the Phillies going forward, I do not think we will be in bad shape at all. We have young, controllable arms in our system, so while they won't be Halladay or Lee, I think we would be competitive. Moreover, new culture around the team has allowed them to build through free agency. I think the fans realize that to land the costly free agents they will still have to come en masse to the stadium, and we'll continue to spend like a big-market franchise.

Jon

Plus, with an added wild-card spot, the Phillies should be in the "playoffs" for the next five years, at least.

Malo

Banned
I just think this team isn't going to give a fuck, and we're going to get it done. I really like our bullpen this year, so although the offense will be anemic at times, we should scratch together enough runs to get into the playoffs. Then, it's all about matchups and who is hot at the right time. I just think the team knows the window is closing (with the core group of players) and will be motivated to get it done this year.

As for the Phillies going forward, I do not think we will be in bad shape at all. We have young, controllable arms in our system, so while they won't be Halladay or Lee, I think we would be competitive. Moreover, new culture around the team has allowed them to build through free agency. I think the fans realize that to land the costly free agents they will still have to come en masse to the stadium, and we'll continue to spend like a big-market franchise.
I like optimistic Jon. Maybe now, Sanjuro doesn't have to be worried about getting banned due to your pessimism!

Utley's knee and hip issues are degenerative, which means there's no curing it. If his left knee is now degenerative as well, then you can pretty much call it for him. Even if he does play, he's going to have to be treated delicately and rested often.

Phillies offense is in a world of hurt. Rollins declining, Howard out until maybe June, Utley won't be the same... they're going to need much bigger production out of Pence/Mayberry/Brown/Victorino, plus the starting pitching can't really falter either.

They work at Hooters. That means they are legal enough for creepy drunk fathers everywhere.

Unless they aren't using their regular ball girls, then no. As I recall they required college softball experience, and all of the girls last year were college aged.

Ah my mistake, for some reason I recall it being high school students.

I was totally wrong.
http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.co...0112&content_id=26328750&vkey=pr_phi&c_id=phi

Was it any of these ones?
ballgirls_649x406.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Why would Mets fans be happy with that? Aren't you guys hoping for a McCourt situation, where he's just bleeding so much money and the fans refuse to show up to games so he has to sell the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom