• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh shit. Wen will we find out?
I'm guessing after all the Madoff crap is done... which could be awhile.
Why would Mets fans be happy with that? Aren't you guys hoping for a McCourt situation, where he's just bleeding so much money and the fans refuse to show up to games so he has to sell the team?
The only way that happens (realistically) is the team becomes so bad for years. It's not realistic with all the arms coming up/really only one big contract coming soon (Wright). Dodgers had alot of people they needed paid, Mets don't have the same amount. So the only chance IMO is that MLB starts pressuring Mets to sign a few minority owners behind the scenes the way David Stern does in the NBA with crappy owners.

Only 162 million? Deferred payment until 2016-2017?

PdM5d.gif

*reads in addition to 83 million*

at least it's finally fucking over.

so it's actually 245 million?? dang.
oh did not see the other post.

Mariners have released Hong-Chih Kuo. Kuo had an ERA of 18.00 during spring training. He was on a Major League deal, so the Mariners will be on the hook for his guaranteed $0.5 million 2012 salary.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
So the worst case scenario for the Phillies at this point is that they lose both Utley and Howard for the whole season (and $40 million dollars along with them)?

They'll still win 95 games somehow.

how badly will this really affect the team? will they stay at the same level for a few more years? is this the chance for the Mets to rebuild the farm?
Well the farm system is getting better and should improve however this turns out. this year will show us how good the system really is. Alot of guys are at a make or break year. Need to take that next step.

JambiBum

If I'm not mistaken I think it was the girl in the back row 5th from the right. The outfits they are wearing in the photo are a lot more appropriate than what she had on at the game.

JABEE

So the worst case scenario for the Phillies at this point is that they lose both Utley and Howard for the whole season (and $40 million dollars along with them)?

They'll still win 95 games somehow.

How does insurance work in Major League Baseball? Is there any way that it covers some of the $40 Million in the case of career ending injuries?

RBH

Milwaukee featured on MLB Network today as part of the "30 Clubs in 30 Days" show.

Atlanta will be featured tomorrow.

Only 162 million? Deferred payment until 2016-2017?

*reads in addition to 83 million*

at least it's finally fucking over.

I wouldn't say I'm disappointed, but I am devastated. It seems we'll be stuck with this cancerous ownership group for a while longer.

Mets' payroll decrease has not been due to his ongoing Bernard Madoff litigation, but to a desire to transform the organization's baseball-operations philosophy.

"I was tired of throwing money at something and not getting success" said Wilpon.

bullshit_detector4.gif

Meohsix

Heh, The Korean Baseball Organization has banned all Baltimore Orioles Scouts from entering stadiums due to the Kim Seong-min signing.

SdZEy.jpg

Love the sign, wish the Orioles were banned from all stadium's everywhere.

Parch

O's pitching staff. Who are these guys? Offence isn't horrible, but the AL east is really going to smack around that rotation.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
O's pitching staff. Who are these guys? Offence isn't horrible, but the AL east is really going to smack around that rotation.

Let me see if I can name them off the top of my head.

Britton
Matusz
Guthrie?

/looks at depth chart

1. J. Arrieta
2. T. Hunter
3. J. Hammel
4. W. Chen
5. Z. Britton
6. B. Matusz

oh

well

RBH

Before spring training, Coco Crisp said it would take "a demigod come down from the heavens" to be better in center field than he is.

Yoenis Céspedes might not be better than Crisp - A's manager Bob Melvin was quick to say Monday that he still believes Crisp is one of the best in baseball in center - but the rookie will man center field for Oakland on Opening Day and Crisp will play in left when the Athletics play against Seattle in Japan.

"Coco was a pro about it," Melvin said. "He certainly wants to play center field, and I don't blame him for being disappointed."

Since the day Céspedes agreed to a deal with the A's in mid-February, all indications were that the team intended this alignment, largely to increase Céspedes' comfort level as he adjusts to a new country and a new league.

Crisp said Monday he was a little hurt to learn that he'd be moving from center field; one reason he'd signed with the A's rather than Tampa Bay in January was because he believed that center-field job to be his.

He is resigned to the switch, though. "What's best for the team, that's what I want," Crisp said. "If I'm going to go play a Gold Glove left field, I'm going to do the best I can."

Céspedes said through coach Ariel Prieto that he's happy to be in center but he also would be OK moving to a corner spot "because I know how important Crisp is." Céspedes said that Crisp has been helping him in the outfield during drills and batting practice.

Crisp has played left field, 216 career games, but none since 2005.

"You grow accustomed to the reads in center field," Crisp said. "You have to recalibrate to take the right routes."

Crisp manned left during batting practice Monday and, he said, "It felt different, weird, I'm not going to lie. But I made all the reads, I caught all the balls. That's encouraging."

There was speculation that the A's might send Céspedes to Triple-A to start the season in order to help him get adjusted to pro baseball in the United States, but the team had suggested since inking Céspedes that he'd be on the Opening Day roster barring extremely poor results. The A's gave him a four-year, $36 million deal, and don't want him spending a day in the minors unless it's absolutely necessary.

Crisp will start in left field today. Céspedes will be in center.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/03/19/SP671NN39P.DTL

Let me see if I can name them off the top of my head.

Britton
Matusz
Guthrie?

/looks at depth chart

1. J. Arrieta
2. T. Hunter
3. J. Hammel
4. W. Chen
5. Z. Britton
6. B. Matusz

oh

well

Matusz should be higher on the back of his ST performances. And I'm sure Chen will be the 5th starter in the first month, to ease him into a higher workload.

non-mlb related but i figure since 'znark doesn't check the nhl thread much anyway

The Rangers will attempt to pump another resource through their Badgers Pipeline by getting in on the derby for Wisconsin junior defenseman Justin Schultz if the 43rd overall selection in the 2008 Entry Draft spurns Anaheim’s offers and becomes a free agent on July 1, Slap Shots has learned.

Schultz, who will turn 22 on June 6, is a 6-foot-1, 185-pound defenseman much in the mold of Ryan McDonagh, but with a more developed offensive game. McDonagh and Derek Stepan each played the 2009-10 season with then-freshman Schultz at Wisconsin before turning pro with the Rangers.

The Blueshirts would be in the hunt for this Hobey Baker nominee regardless, but their interest likely is intensified because of uncertainty regarding the health of Michael Sauer, who has been sidelined since Dec. 5 with post-concussion symptoms.

Under terms of the collective bargaining agreement, Schultz would be bound to sign a two-year Entry Level contract if he chooses to become a free agent. If he were to eschew free agency and sign with Anaheim before the end of the season, he would have only one year remaining on the Entry Level deal.

looks like we want another badger. stephan ad mcdonagh are beasts.

wow, atleast positive news is finally coming out from Mets camp. This might mean that Wilpon will be around for awhile though.
nydailynews.com said:
The owners of the Mets have closed deals to sell 12 shares of the team and have repaid their $25 million loan to Major League Baseball, a $40 million loan to Bank of America and additional club debt, according to sources familiar with the sale.

As the Daily News has reported, the Mets have been in the process of selling the $20 million shares in the club for several months, and completed the sales last week just as they were in negotiations to settle the lawsuit filed against them by the trustee for the Bernard Madoff bankruptcy estate.

Fred and Jeff Wilpon and Saul Katz and their partners reached a settlement announced by U.S. District Court Judge Jed Rakoff on Monday to pay $162 million to trustee Irving Picard, who had sought as much as $1 billion from the owners in a highly acrimonious and public lawsuit, although the owners may end up paying nothing or much less than $162 million.

The terms of the agreement allow them to seek $179 million in “net losses” from the Madoff estate and to subtract the $162 million from that amount.

The team’s owners are expected to use the $240 million raised from the sale to help cover operating costs during the 2012 season.

The Mets received commitments several weeks ago from billionaire hedge-fund investor Steve Cohen and other investors, including four shares from the cable television partner, SNY, and two from Wilpon and Katz.

The stake in the Mets would not prevent Cohen, ranked 35th last year in Forbes’ “400 Richest People in America,” from purchasing the Dodgers, but he would have to sell his interest in the Mets if he completes the deal for the Los Angeles team.

Cohen is considered one of the frontrunners for the Dodgers.

What do you guys think about my keepers?

Tim Lincecum, SF SP
Adrian Gonzalez, Bos 1B
Giancarlo Stanton, Mia RF
Carlos Santana, Cle C
Eric Hosmer, KC 1B
Bryce Harper, Wsh RF

I'm allowed 7..i just dropped Utley..piece of shit has tanked me 2 years in a row..not going to be a third...

I'm hoping to snag Yu Darvish with my first pick this year.

cause you're orange and love lasagna?

eznark

Banned
i can't wait until I'm a dirty old man like you. It's gonna be awesome.

Protip, bring your one year old daughter. My little girl played with a bunch of Brewers daughters the entire week we were down there. Ended up bring a nice way to chat up players and their wives.

h3ro

Damn it, losing council members before the season starts stinks. Hope its a short stay on the DL.

Any updates on how Pineda has looked? Is Andy pitching off a mound yet?

Reports saying Cabrera will be close in terms of making it back for opening day after taking that bouncer to the eye yesterday against the Phillies. Fucking Phillies

What do you guys think about my keepers?

Tim Lincecum, SF SP
Adrian Gonzalez, Bos 1B
Giancarlo Stanton, Mia RF
Carlos Santana, Cle C
Eric Hosmer, KC 1B
Bryce Harper, Wsh RF

I'm allowed 7..i just dropped Utley..piece of shit has tanked me 2 years in a row..not going to be a third...

I'm hoping to snag Yu Darvish with my first pick this year.

Very good list. The only one that gives me pause is Harper, but that's only because I prefer to not keep players unless they're going to help me right away. 6th round equivalency is a bit of a reach this season.

Jon

Reports saying Cabrera will be close in terms of making it back for opening day after taking that bouncer to the eye yesterday against the Phillies. Fucking Phillies

Lol yeah, blame the Phillies for an inept 3rd baseman.

Nah, it was a bad hop. Just unlucky really.

Buster Olney said:
Arodys Vizcaino getting Tommy John surgery, says ATL GM Frank Wren.

Bummer. :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom