• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

verbum

Talon- said:
Braves-GAF - I forgot to post this a few days ago. My buddy's family are long-time season ticket holders, so they've made a tradition of going to the offseason luncheon or whatever it's called. Here's his (poorly written - love ya, Dave) writeup:

*cough* Posey

I'm just happy they got a new batting coach. And maybe on August 15th of 2012, they could hire a sports psychologist to have one on one therapy with each player to avoid another September slump.

It was a weird season, Uggla's slump to start and then the team slump to finish.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
apparently the new CBA is near to being done and there will be some kind of limit on the amount of money teams will be able to spend in total in the draft. Better than hard slotting I think, but I still think that will help drive talent away from baseball. Oh and apparently draft compensation for free agents will have a lot of changes.
Talon- said:
Braves-GAF - I forgot to post this a few days ago. My buddy's family are long-time season ticket holders, so they've made a tradition of going to the offseason luncheon or whatever it's called. Here's his (poorly written - love ya, Dave) writeup:

*cough* Posey
interesting, I don't believe him on the Prato/jurrjens stuff. They are two of the most logical players on the team to shop around.

Doytch

Windu said:
apparently the new CBA is near to being done and there will be some kind of limit on the amount of money teams will be able to spend in total in the draft. Better than hard slotting I think, but I still think that will help drive talent away from baseball. Oh and apparently draft compensation for free agents will have a lot of changes.
Yup. Such a stupid idea to cap draft picks in any way.

Sharp

Capping draft picks? Fuck that. That's the only place the small market teams can spend with the Yankees and they want to take that away?

Windu

well it looks like it isn't capping individual picks, just the total amount teams can spend in the draft. Don't like any kind of draft cap though.

clemenx

Banned
Who the hell would ask for that? Teams like Pirates, Royals, Nats and Rays are the teams who spend more on the draft. I'd think that the high budget teams who don't spend much in the draft wouldn't want that posibility to be taken away either. It makes no sense.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
clemenx said:
Who the hell would ask for that? Teams like Pirates, Royals, Nats and Rays are the teams who spend more on the draft. I'd think that the high budget teams who don't spend much in the draft wouldn't want that posibility to be taken away either. It makes no sense.
I think the feeling is that the draft cap would give teams a source of leverage against obscene signing bonuses, since there would only be so much money to go around.

I'm waiting to know what the cap is before I get too upset, but it's disappointing that this would even be a concern among the owners.

Windu

i'm sure the player's union feels like its money that is not going toward free agency as well

edit: goddamn, that left side of the infield is going to be amazing. i'm sure hanley will be at least average at 3rd, wonder if he will be plus.

Doytch

Marlins left side is gonna be nuts. And that's a vicious 1-2. Wonder what the record for double-steals by a duo in a season is.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
In other Miami, um, "news"...

moves-like-jagger-cover.jpg

miami-marlins-new-log.jpg

Which is uglier?

Mike Matheny is replacing Tony LaRussa as Cardinals manager. It'll be the first time since October 1, 1995 that the Cardinals had someone other than LaRussa managing. 10/1/95 was Joe Torre's final game with the Cardinals until they fired him after the '95 season ended. He then went on to begin his 12-season reign of terror with the Yankees.

You know Cubs fans are breathing a sigh of relief that they didn't hire Ryne Sandberg.

clemenx

Banned
I remember reading that Reyes is priority for the Marlins over Pujols so I think it'll happen unless somoene goes all Amaro on him.

clemenx said:
I remember reading that Reyes is priority for the Marlins over Pujols so I think it'll happen unless somoene goes all Amaro on him.
You've got be thrilled Amaro has overtaken Minaya as the buzzword for ridiculously stupid contracts in the baseball lexicon.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Saying he was "out for the season" is a bit hyperbolic in that situation since he suffered the injury on September 28.

True. I also think they got into the post-season that year and missed him because of it.

Maxim726X

Dino Costa (Sirius XM) reports that Reyes has signed with the Marlins.

I call bullshit... But if true- They must have offered him the sun the moon and the stars to sign this early.

No way, Reyes hasn't talked to the Mets yet and he was adamant about testing the market.

So he then signs with the 1st team to give him an offer? What?

Malo

Banned
The Frankman said:
No way, Reyes hasn't talked to the Mets yet and he was adamant about testing the market.

So he then signs with the 1st team to give him an offer? What?
I'm with you it's way too early for Reyes to sign. I'm pretty sure he hasn't even received offers from other teams yet.

Dat Alex Smith avatar.

Yeah, Frank Wren's full of shit on at least Prado. The Rockies are going after him hard and the Braves want Seth Smith and Charlie Blackmon in return.

Windu

soo rookie of the year is tommorow. I guess in the national league its the nationals vs the braves. I guess Kimbrel is probably going to win it from what i have read and heard from the media. Don't hear much about Espinosa, Ramos, Beachy etc..

Windu said:
soo rookie of the year is tommorow. I guess in the national league its the nationals vs the braves. I guess Kimbrel is probably going to win it from what i have read and heard from the media. Don't hear much about Espinosa, Ramos, Beachy etc..
Pretty much going to be Kimbrel in the NL. AL is up for grabs though.

eznark

Banned
Fuck you Cardinals. How dare you hire one of my favorite players of all time as your manager. It's going to be so much harder to hate that team without LaRussa and Pujols. Thankfully they still have the biggest twat of them all, Chris Carpenter.

BFIB

Little Green Yoda said:
I hope the rest of the staff remains intact and gives him the support he's going to need with zero managerial experience.

I see Oquendo walking away for sure now. He's been vocal about wanting to take over once LaRussa leaves.

maruchan said:
Dodgers are close to locking Matt kemp 8 years/ 160 million ... Fuck yah

if he plays like he did last year ever year, then you have to do it, but it seems like a lot of money to lock into a guy with such an up and down sample size so far. 1 good year, 1 bad year, 1 great year.

eznark

Banned
maruchan said:
Dodgers are close to locking Matt kemp 8 years/ 160 million ... Fuck yah

Seems dumb on Kemp's part. Why sign himself through 33 years old? Take a 5-6 year deal and still get another contract in your prime!

eznark said:
Seems dumb on Kemp's part. Why sign himself through 33 years old? Take a 5-6 year deal and still get another contract in your prime!

Maybe the Dodgers will do something stupid and give him another contract in the middle of his current contract for no apparent reason at all!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
eznark said:

Seems really smart to me. 2011 was an amazing career year for Kemp. His career norms don't warrant 8/160, not even remotely close. If you honestly think yourself that your year was absolutely amazing and not reflective of your true talents then signing on the dotted line for that much money is smart.

This contract has Vernon Wells potential all over it.

eznark

Banned
darkside31337 said:
Seems really smart to me. 2011 was an amazing career year for Kemp. His career norms don't warrant 8/160, not even remotely close. If you honestly think yourself that your year was absolutely amazing and not reflective of your true talents then signing on the dotted line for that much money is smart.

Only if you think market conditions will remain the same. (Or if Kemp thinks he vastly outperformed his abilities). I think it's safe to say that the next 8 years will see significant real world inflation, however sports salary inflation always outpaces real world inflation. I wouldn't hesitate to predict a 75-85% increase in the cost of a 2011 Kemp year in 2020 as opposed to today. Look at Griffey for comparison only a few years ago. A 30 year old healthy Ken Griffey Jr was making less than $10m in 2000.

Of course, if Kemp thinks this season was anomalous then the contract makes loads of sense. If not, he is leaving tons of money on the table for a couple years of security that really shouldn't make a ton of difference in reality depending on the contracts structure (as long as it isn't like $100 million in the last three years, for instance).

These contracts make sense for older players who are bamboozling someone or younger players who will still get another deal before 31 (Tulo, Braun, etc.). Kemp is pricing himself into an awkward spot for no practical reason.

Wells signed his contract when he was older. 28 right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom