• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Fox318 said:
Can't wait till Puljols and Reyes pop out from the floor.
joefloor.gif

That orange jersey is unforgivably bad. Like, holy shit.

That orange fitted is dope, though. I'm gonna buy that right after I get an OG Marlins cap, just to make sure I have one for the collection.

Kuroyume

Banned
The design was actually real? It's freaking ugly. Looks kind of okay in white though. Why would you get rid of the detailed Marlins fish logo for some fucked up looking silhouette-ish thing?

Sharp

Lambtron said:
Glad Ramos is safe.

His kidnappers will get jail time, which coincidentally is more than Bill Smith got for him.
Bill Smith didn't kidnap him, he set him free

Unconditionally too

And got fired for it.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
if they would just resize that logo on the hat, then i would be alright with it. But that thing is fucking huge.
ZeroRay said:
I have no comment on these uniforms.
J3DT2.png

rekameohs

Banned
Why do both the home and away jerseys have "Miami" on them? Usually the city name's only on the road and the team name is on home.

I guess it's just to avoid using the horrible orange one as the primary home uniform.

Sanjuro

I'm just a grumpy old man I guess now. It's the ugliest logo and jersey combo I've ever seen easily. Not talking about third jersey or special variants.

bluemax said:
Wow I guess the Phillies didn't want us to forget how stupid of an organization they can be. Man Ryan Howard and Papelbon are gonna be such albatrosses.

And....Ryan Howard's extension does not start until after NEXT SEASON. He could have been had now at 15-20 million year. The contract that frightens me is the Cliff Lee deal.

Ugh, this Papelbon deal is going to be horrible. Heath Bell could have easily been had at 3 years/24 million.

DaveTheSnake said:
And....Ryan Howard's extension does not start until after NEXT SEASON. He could have been had now at 15-20 million year. The contract that frightens me is the Cliff Lee deal.

Ugh, this Papelbon deal is going to be horrible. Heath Bell could have easily been had at 3 years/24 million.
Howard's extension starts next year (2012).

Jon Heyman is reporting the Cardinals do not plan to "greatly increase" the 10-year, $210 million offer they made to Pujols before spring training. They may be willing to push it to $220 million, but that's it.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Jon Heyman is reporting the Cardinals do not plan to "greatly increase" the 10-year, $210 million offer they made to Pujols before spring training. They may be willing to push it to $220 million, but that's it.

Curious, but why not do like 7 or 8 years at $210 or 220 to up the AAV? Granted you are paying more for less, but do you really expect Pujols to be worth a damn in the last 2 years of a 10 year contract anyway? AAV is where other team's (Marlins, Rangers? Nats?) might beat them and blow Pujols away with an offer, but I doubt any of those teams want to be on the hook for 10 years.

clemenx

Banned
Good, I predicted that. It would be foolish to up that offer. If any other team wants to go full retard, let them.

I agree with Ninja Scooter.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I wouldn't be shocked if the Marlins offered him a 4-5 year contract, so I could see other teams following suit.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The Cards will most likely match any offer Pujols receives -- and that's because the teams that could outspend them don't need him. I really doubt he's going anywhere.

PantherLotus said:
The Cards will most likely match any offer Pujols receives -- and that's because the teams that could outspend them don't need him. I really doubt he's going anywhere.

I expect Miami to put in a good bid. You are trying to relaunch a franchise? Adding a guy like Pujols would get people in the seats... theoretically. This move to Miami is a long time overdue.

vas_a_morir said:
I expect Miami to put in a good bid. You are trying to relaunch a franchise? Adding a guy like Pujols would get people in the seats... theoretically. This move to Miami is a long time overdue.
Technically, they've always been in Miami.

Talon

Braves-GAF - I forgot to post this a few days ago. My buddy's family are long-time season ticket holders, so they've made a tradition of going to the offseason luncheon or whatever it's called. Here's his (poorly written - love ya, Dave) writeup:
The first thing he said, was that he knew there were rumors out there that Prado and Jurrjens were on the trading block. He said I have no idea where that came from. "You know how many teams I have discussed those players with, Zero."- Frank Wren He said anyone on the team can be traded even Brian McCann if it makes the team better but hes not actively trying to trade those players. The media blew that up somehow.

The will be increasing payroll a good bit this year. He didnt say to what because it helps us keep a competative edge but they were looking to make some moves. But they want to keep Prado cause he thinks chipper will be out more this year than ever and wants to put him at third, meaning they will probably look to get a LF.

Derek Lowe was told he was our 8th starter at the end of the season. Wren said there was no chance he would be in the rotation and that he would be pitching out of the bullpen the whole season. Thats when they decided to look for a trade. They said Lowe was really great about the whole situation and wished them well and thanked them for his time in Atlanta. Wren said for the 5 million they got from Lowe they were able to keep Diaz, Ross and look to sign another reliever. Worth it huh?

Alex Gonzalez will not be back. Wren said he wants a multiple year deal and they would only want him for one more year until Pastornicky is ready for the Majors. Pastornicky his .350 in triple A. Wren thinks he will hit around .300 and steal 25-35 bases a year. Wont that be nice?

Bourn - Wren said he would obviously like to keep him. They will see what his asking price is at the end of the day but he ended with saying "You all know who is agent is right?, Its going to be hard for us to keep him."- (Scott Boras)

Moylan - Said he wont really be able to throw until May and thats when they will be able to tell if they can bring him back. They want him back but that depends on the cost and if he can still pitch. Wren said he wouldnt be surprised if we saw Moylan back.

Medlen - Said Med was one of the guys that he trusts the most when it comes to pitching. He likes having him in the bullpen cause that way if there is ever a rain delay, hes the guy that can come in. If there is ever a day that O'Ventbrel needs a rest, Med can pitch all 3 innings. Said he likes that factor and we are very rich in young arms to get them a chance to start.

On the rotation only pitching 5-6 innings. Said that all of the guys had some injuries so they were not able to train as hard as they could have. Jurrjens-knee, Hanson-back, Hudson-back, Lowe-sucks(knee), Beachy-back. So he said once those guys are healthy and able to run again they should be able to last longer innings and that will obviously save our bullpen a lot.

Wren also said that on August 26th we had the 3rd best Record. Phillies, Red Sox, Braves and Yankees. He also said what do all those teams have in common. - Didnt make it out of the Division Series. Said he thinks that the Braves were a 95 win team last year even though they only wont 89. Mentioned how the Giants kept the exact same roster from the year before when they won the WS and how they didnt make it this year. He said in order to win, you have to keep changing things up. So look for the braves to make some small moves here and there.
*cough* Posey

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
vas_a_morir said:

They've already put in their bid.

Sharp

Here's what I don't understand. How come when the Nats opened their new stadium we didn't spend shit on free agents? I mean shit, they were coming off a season where they actually won one more game than the Marlins did this year, from an equally shitty stadium... they could have done the same thing.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Sharp said:
Here's what I don't understand. How come when the Nats opened their new stadium we didn't spend shit on free agents? I mean shit, they were coming off a season where they actually won one more game than the Marlins did this year, from an equally shitty stadium... they could have done the same thing.

This is uh, totally normal?

The Marlins were pleading they were dead broke and needed hundreds of millions of dollars from the county to build a new stadium, and they swindled and deceived people to get it. They have one of the lowest attendance figures in the league and one of the lowest payrolls to match it.

All of a sudden they have money coming out of nowhere? If a new stadium generated this much revenue you'd think every team would be building a new stadium every 10 years or so.

This whole thing is pretty fishy.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. They will almost-but-not-quite double their payroll.
2. Most of this is certainly marketing.
3. They really don't have a shot at Pujols.
4. I'd say Reyes and Beuhrle make the most sense, but HanRam is going to have to swallow his pride and move to 3B.
5. Oh god, you said something's fishy. I'm saying they're just trying to make a splash.

Sanjuro

Sharp said:
Sanjuro, I say this for your own good: stop posting until you learn to fucking spell.
Hah, fuck you sharp. It's boring in here. As a punishment, ill eat this McDouble that has been on my desk for three days unrefridgerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom