• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
was this gif this season? if so it is the gif of the year

k4i3o7.gif

if not, then it was gif of the decade

and what was the game of the year? i choose the pirates/braves marathon with the devil girl and the leaning tower of cups.

Windu said:

k4i3o7.gif

and what was the game of the year? i choose the pirates/braves marathon with the devil girl and the leaning tower of cups.
Last night of the season was so damn epic. Night of the year for sure.
Those two gifs are hilarious.

Windu

AnEternalEnigma said:
The best part of that link is that the next day, everyone was talking shit about the Cardinals trading away Rasmus.

Oops.
trade still favors the blue jays imo

MLB awards would be interesting. We need to make actual voting for

Post of the year
Gif of the Year
Poster of the Year
Rookie of the Year

Any nominees?

So here are the highlights of the new CBA:

-- Realignment with both leagues now having 15 teams and three five-team divisions; parity will be achieved with the Astros moving from the NL Central to the AL West (pending Jim Crane's purchase approval) in 2013
-- Second Wild Card being added with one-game playoff to be played the day after the regular season; TBS will air both games
-- Interleague play will be "spread out to all six months of the season" (it's not clear if they are adding more Interleague games or just spreading them out) in 2013
-- Teams will now have a limit on how much money they can spend on the amateur draft in an effort to try to limit ridiculous signing bonuses (Selig wanted hard slotting, players union wanted no limits, this is the compromise)
-- The current draft pick compensation for losing players through free agency will be thrown out; the new system will eliminate the "Type A" and "Type B" classification entirely ("Type C" was eliminated after the 2006 season) and only allow compensation for "elite" free agents to be decided by the Elias Sports Bureau; teams have been told to expect the eventual elimination of "sandwich picks" that come between the official first and second rounds of the amateur draft
-- Changes will be made to the Competitive-Blance Tax (a/k/a "Luxury Tax") but those changes are not known yet; there is a chance that 2012 may have no Luxury Tax in place

Joe Torre also said after the annual GM meetings that there is some discussion about eliminating the September roster expansion.

Windu

ConradCervantes said:
Pardon my ignorance, but why does evening out both leagues necessitate expanding interleague throughout the season?
you would have two teams off every day since the leagues are not even.

edit: the 2011 season started on march 31st and ended on september 28th. That is something like 182 days. So that would mean 182 less games. Probably hard to, if not impossible to make a schedule where you have that restriction without spreading out the season into october.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
AnEternalEnigma said:
So here are the highlights of the new CBA:

-- Realignment with both leagues now having 15 teams and three five-team divisions; parity will be achieved with the Astros moving from the NL Central to the AL West (pending Jim Crane's purchase approval) in 2013
-- Second Wild Card being added with one-game playoff to be played the day after the regular season; TBS will air both games
-- Interleague play will be "spread out to all six months of the season" (it's not clear if they are adding more Interleague games or just spreading them out) in 2013
-- Teams will now have a limit on how much money they can spend on the amateur draft in an effort to try to limit ridiculous signing bonuses (Selig wanted hard slotting, players union wanted no limits, this is the compromise)
-- The current draft pick compensation for losing players through free agency will be thrown out; the new system will eliminate the "Type A" and "Type B" classification entirely ("Type C" was eliminated after the 2006 season) and only allow compensation for "elite" free agents to be decided by the Elias Sports Bureau; teams have been told to expect the eventual elimination of "sandwich picks" that come between the official first and second rounds of the amateur draft
-- Changes will be made to the Competitive-Blance Tax (a/k/a "Luxury Tax") but those changes are not known yet; there is a chance that 2012 may have no Luxury Tax in place

Joe Torre also said after the annual GM meetings that there is some discussion about eliminating the September roster expansion.
I feel like some of these changes are just being made for the sake of making changes, irrespective of their actual utility.

Windu

on the astros moving to the west, dumb. Never liked the rangers in the west, don't like the astros there. I do like the idea of having balanced divisions though and with the balanced leagues you need interleague play throughout the season. The wildcard playoff certainly makes you want to be a division winner but you still have the unbalance between the divisions and you could end up with a wild card winner being 5 games ahead of the next. They should if they want fairness (in this limited design) make it the worst two eligible records not the two best 2nd place teams. I of course would just get rid of the wild card teams all together and go back to the no divisions, balanced schedule format. Having hard slotting in the draft would be incredibly dumb imo, so luckily we didn't get that. We did get something almost as worse and that is limiting draft spending overall. It won't do as much harm as hard slotting but it will still drive kids to other sports imo. And it sounds like they will still have a type a status considering elite players will still get compensation. What really needs changed is how they decide on who are these elite players. Teams are not afraid of giving up draft picks for type a/b players when they think they are worth it, but not when the people that decide who is type a/b pick a shitty player who is undeserving because he had 15 wins or some shit. And interesting that there may be no luxury tax at all and i love the idea of getting rid of the September expansion, never liked it. Hopefully we get a full pdf of all this shit, i wouldn't mind going over it with a fine tooth comb if it isnt too long.

Baseball is so fickle when it comes to the concept of a second Wild Card.

On September 1, the idea of two Wild Cards was genius because of how non-competitive the races were looking.

On September 28, two Wild Cards would have not allowed us to have one of the most unbelievable days in baseball history.

AnEternalEnigma said:
The best part of that link is that the next day, everyone was talking shit about the Cardinals trading away Rasmus.

Oops.

I didn't post back then, but yeah, I was one of those "WTF WHHHHHHHHY" people. I've always liked Rasmus; I think he's a decent player, but mostly, just found him fun to watch for whatever reason. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out to say the least, even if the Jays had the better end of that trade overall.

eznark

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
Baseball is so fickle when it comes to the concept of a second Wild Card.

On September 1, the idea of two Wild Cards was genius because of how non-competitive the races were looking.

On September 28, two Wild Cards would have not allowed us to have one of the most unbelievable days in baseball history.

We have amazing baseball games between two teams with 60 wins in September. It doesn't matter how many teams they allow in, the sport is amazing and will thus allow for amazing games.

As someone who watches a few hundred games a year, I'd like to see every game matter more. The best way to do that is to eliminate playoff rounds, not add teams to the postseason. Right now, if you tune in to basketball or hockey in February, you have not missed a thing. I'd hate for baseball to become the same way.

Fenix

@sportslogosnet said:
Jays teaser vid shows modernized split-font lettering on front of new jerseys, just like the old days but designed like today... genius
Awesome, I was hoping for the same piping idea, but an updated font.

Doytch

Indeed. Note the serif (pointed out by Tao of Stieb) on the 'T' here.
unijobau3.jpg

I've decided to hold off on buying bar stools for my flat so that I can buy merch. Couch dining ftmfw.

For all the Mets lovers and haters, uni changes for next year.
Non Pinstriped Home Jersey and Road Gray Jersey:
62dae650-f196-4c88-a4de-6f1c77c3bbbc_400.jpg

And the Pinstriped New Retro Jersey, which will be the primary home jersey:
1nto.jpg

3c9b27c3-1d4c-454a-8423-746d8760031c_400.png

richiek said:
Pro: No black drop shadows

Con: The Mets will still wear the black jerseys for 2012
At least not much and on the road. Hope they go away soon enough. And the Blue and Orange cap will be worn for every game. No more black and blues!

New uniforms. Cream pinstripes are the primary. You will ONLY see the blue and orange caps in 2012. Black jerseys remains as an alternate (mostly on the road). 50th anniversary logo is on the sleeve and back of the cap. New BP jersey - blue and orange (like the Los Mets jerseys)
yep, finally get the cream colored jerseys. Also look for the all-blue jersey to become standard by 2013. Also:

7707a5c6-2949-4cc9-9b9d-62a1e777ea59_400.jpg
4cffb9fb-bc8e-40e7-943a-5167a1ce113d_400.jpg

Old wall in Citi is gone, new wall is being marked off (look at white tape on ground near wall).
Some information on the Mo' Zone: The space below the stands, the Modells Clubhouse, sold out in 99% of their games. That space will benefit from the changes in the fences. There is now more space in the Modells Clubhouse, and home runs can drop into that space. - by Michael Baron 11:40 AM
RF is the new Shea Pepsi Picnic area.
The Mets will bring back Banner Day, as there has been a groundswell of support in its favor.

More on banner day: Howard thinks it will be popular, and he thinks the fans will want banner day to return beyond in 2012. He is confident fans will be appropriate in their expression on banner day.
BANNER DAY IS FUCKING BACK!!!

h3ro

All these new Uniforms have been fantastic. (I'm even coming around on the orange Marlins cap)

Glad the Mets finally got rid of all the unnecessary black they added to the uniforms in the late 90's, early 2000's. Those cream pinstriped unis are great.

Looking forward to the full Toronto reveal as well as Paul Lukas' evaluation of the Met changes.

h3ro said:
All these new Uniforms have been fantastic. (I'm even coming around on the orange Marlins cap)

Glad the Mets finally got rid of all the unnecessary black they added to the uniforms in the late 90's, early 2000's. Those cream pinstriped unis are great.

Looking forward to the full Toronto reveal as well as Paul Lukas' evaluation of the Met changes.

I hate that guy so much. He and I could not disagree more.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Windu said:

k4i3o7.gif

17WEN.gif

Or Crawford.GIF. I like the Ellsbury one better personally.

Rays Joe Maddon wins A.L. Manager of Year Award with 26, 1st place votes. Jim Leyland 1, 1st place vote, Ron Washington 1, 1st place vote.

Honestly thought it'd be closer than that between the various nominees. But the right guy won in the end.

Code:
[U]2011 NL MANAGER OF THE YEAR VOTING[/U]
[B]1. K.Gibson(ARI)     - 152 (28/4/0)[/B]
2. R.Roenicke(MIL)   - 92 (3/25/2)
3. T.La Russa(STL)   - 24 (1/2/13)
4. C.Manuel(PHI)     - 10 (0/1/7)
5. F.Gonzalez(ATL)   - 4 (0/0/4)
6a. B.Bochy(SF)      - 2 (0/0/2)
6b. C.Hurdle(PIT)    - 2 (0/0/2)
7a. T.Collins (NYM)  - 1 (0/0/1)
7b. D.Mattingly(LAD) - 1 (0/0/1)

[U]2011 AL MANAGER OF THE YEAR VOTING[/U]
[B]1. J.Maddon(TB)      - 133 (26/1/0)[/B]
2. J.Leyland(DET)    - 54 (1/13/10)
3. R.Washington(TEX) - 31 (1/7/5)
4. M.Acta(CLE)       - 16 (0/3/7)
5. J.Girardi(NYY)    - 14 (0/3/5)
6. M.Scioscia(LAA)   - 4 (0/1/1)

h3ro

Windu said:
4 people voted for Fredi Gonzalez....
I'm sure some of those "experts" were part of the 14 that activated Retardi-factor.

acheron_xl said:
I hate that guy so much. He and I could not disagree more.
I think he's alright, I agree with some of his analysis and he, along with the writers on the blog, do a great job aggregating all the uniform news from every sport.

He's way too biased against Nike though, some of their stuff is too out there, but I think they don't deserve the hate he drops on them all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom