• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
AnEternalEnigma said:
Baseball is so fickle when it comes to the concept of a second Wild Card.

On September 1, the idea of two Wild Cards was genius because of how non-competitive the races were looking.

On September 28, two Wild Cards would have not allowed us to have one of the most unbelievable days in baseball history.

The thing is what happened this year was so freaking impossible, there is probably a 99% chance something of that magnitude never happens again in the next 100 years.

In general the 2nd WC is something I approve of. It actually makes winning your division relevant once again, and that's a really, really good thing.

hemtae

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I think it would be stupid not to re-sign Wake. Too much is put upon that silly win number and not the fact we didn't have any other pitchers to go to during that time period.

I think that Lackey being out for the season guaranteed Wakefield at least another season here.

Clayton Kershaw wins the 2011 NL Cy Young. 27 first-ballot votes. Roy Halladay had 4 first-ballot votes. Ian Kennedy got 1 first-ballot vote.

rekameohs

Banned
When's the last time a team with the CY and MVP didn't even come close to the playoffs?

Assuming the writers make the right choice.

Code:
[U]2011 NL CY YOUNG VOTING[/U]
[B]1. C.Kershaw(LAD)    - 207 (27/3/2/0/0)[/B]
2. R.Halladay(PHI)   - 133 (4/21/7/0/0)
3. C.Lee(PHI)        - 90 (0/5/17/9/1)
4. I.Kennedy(ARZ)    - 76 (1/3/6/18/3)
5. C.Hamels(PHI)     - 17 (0/0/0/2/13)
6. T.Lincecum(SF)    - 7 (0/0/0/1/5)
7. Y.Gallardo(MIL)   - 5 (0/0/0/1/3)
8. M.Cain(SF)        - 3 (0/0/0/1/1)
9a. J.Axford(MIL)    - 2 (0/0/0/0/2)
9b. C.Kimbrel(ATL)   - 2 (0/0/0/0/2)
10a. M.Bumgarner(SF) - 1 (0/0/0/0/1)
10b. R.Vogelsong(SF) - 1 (0/0/0/0/1)

Doytch

Fenix said:
Thought about bringing that up, but I gotta save some rage for Monday!
Meh, don't bother. Bautista won't win it, it's pretty much guaranteed, especially since there're still some dicks like that White Sox dude that won't vote for a player on the Jays period.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
kimbrel got some votes lol

anyway, I would have voted for halladay, the al was debatable, this not so much imo.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
vas_a_morir said:
MLB awards would be interesting. We need to make actual voting for

Post of the year
Gif of the Year
Poster of the Year
Rookie of the Year

Any nominees?
Can we also have graph of the year?

Boston:
2011_coolstats_s_BOS.jpg

Atlanta:
2011_coolstats_s_ATL.jpg

And screencap of the year:

APcvl.png

Fenix

Doytch said:
Meh, don't bother. Bautista won't win it, it's pretty much guaranteed, especially since there're still some dicks like that White Sox dude that won't vote for a player on the Jays period.
Sorry, shoulda prefaced that with (fake), I don't really care about the writers' opinions any more unless they're egregiously bad. I've got Bellsbury winning, which is an acceptable choice.

TheNatural

My Member!
So expanded playoffs are a go. 5 teams in each league apparently. How is this going to work?

4 vs. 5 opening series faces the 1 seed, and 2 vs. 3? Are 4 vs. 5 just going to be the only games going at the start of the playoffs, or are you going to let the 2 vs. 3 winner play at the same time and get a huge break while the 1 seed is playing the 4/5 winner?

I don't know how exactly this will work, it seems like a clusterfuck. I've always thought there were 1 or 2 deserving teams each year that should have made the playoffs as well, but usually it was just at the expense of an undeserving division winner having a crappy record keeping them out.

Windu

There will be a one game playoff between the wild card teams and the winner goes to the division series.

can't wait for the wild card teams in the east to have better records than some division winners and to have to play a single game to decide their season against a team that was 5-6 gms back of them.

TheNatural

My Member!
Windu said:
There will be a one game playoff between the wild card teams and the winner goes to the division series.

Wow, really? That's the stupidest fucking thing I think I've ever heard. I mean it would be one thing if it was like this year, okay I could definitely see that being a good idea with the Braves vs. STL and the Rays vs. Boston. But what is the deal going to be when the wild card winner is a good 8, 9 games ahead of the closest competition. And lets go even farther in saying, the wild card winner has a better record than a division winner who has a lot worse record? They could lose all that work over ONE game?

Seriously Selig needs to just go off and fucking retire, the guy has destroyed the game of baseball with his nonsense. And I guess with the 15 teams in each league, there is going to be an interleague series going constantly throughout the year.

Windu

yeah it should be the two worst records that qualify that should play the one game playoff. But that would make sense and we can't have any of that.

Edit: not to mention the divisions being unbalanced in terms of schedules so it makes the wild card that much worse. I'm still holding out hope for the return to no division play with balanced schedules in my lifetime, sadly that will probably never happen. In the end though, all this is about money. More playoff races, playoff teams = more revenue.

You would think that after this last season, they would think not to change a thing about the playoffs...but whatever. LOL SELIG, and all that.

What does this mean for the ability of Game 163 to occur, though?

Windu

captmcblack said:
You would think that after this last season, they would think not to change a thing about the playoffs...but whatever. LOL SELIG, and all that.

What does this mean for the ability of Game 163 to occur, though?
if the 2nd wild card spot is tied I assume it would still happen. They would play the game to clinch the wild card spot then the game vs. the other wild card team for the chance to play in the division series. It certainly helps the division winner which is great, but they are not solving the real problem, just putting a bandaid on it and making brand new problems.

rekameohs

Banned
Windu said:
if the 2nd wild card spot is tied I assume it would still happen. They would play the game to clinch the wild card spot then the game vs. the other wild card team for the chance to play in the division series. It certainly helps the division winner which is great, but they are not solving the real problem, just putting a bandaid on it and making brand new problems.
What if there's somehow a 3 way tie for wild card with all of the teams having equal records vs. each other?

Windu

rekameohs said:
What if there's somehow a 3 way tie for wild card with all of the teams having equal records vs. each other?
they play crazy eights, winner moves on.

Meier

WOOHOO! Congrats to Clay on the big win. He absolutely was the right choice -- can't wait to see him continue to develop and grow. Bison should win the MVP but I'm not expecting that to happen.

Wait, what idiot put him as 3rd? I mean I could maybe see how you'd put him 2nd.. but 3rd? Probably some fool who put Halladay and Lee ahead of him.

Fenix

rekameohs said:
The odds of that are so astronomically low it's almost unimaginable, and there's also nothing preventing it in the current system.

Meier

The most compelling subplot of Kershaw's season, arguably, was his four starts against San Francisco Giants ace Tim Lincecum, a two-time Cy Young Award winner and a pitcher who, as a college junior, was drafted three spots lower than Kershaw in the first round in 2006. Kershaw was a high school senior when he was drafted.

Kershaw won all four showdowns against Lincecum, by scores of 2-1, 1-0, 2-1 and 2-1, the first of those victories coming in Kershaw's first career Opening Day start. Kershaw allowed a total of one earned run across those starts, giving up 16 hits in 30 1/3 innings while striking out 36 and walking five.

Damn, that is no less impressive every time I read it. Talk about a special batch of games.

Meier

XiaNaphryz said:
Then again, how hard was it really against the SF lineup?
Haha, good point. I actually was talking about the performance by both pitchers. Really incredible to have 4 absolute pitcher's duels like that regardless of each team's respective offenses.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Meier said:
WOOHOO! Congrats to Clay on the big win. He absolutely was the right choice -- can't wait to see him continue to develop and grow. Bison should win the MVP but I'm not expecting that to happen.

Wait, what idiot put him as 3rd? I mean I could maybe see how you'd put him 2nd.. but 3rd? Probably some fool who put Halladay and Lee ahead of him.
Keith Law, and that's exactly what he did.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Shit is getting real now.

ESPN is reporting that the Red Sox are interviewing Bobby Valentine by the end of the week.

Please let this happen. It would be so great having him another big market.

Mrbob

Windu said:

can't wait for the wild card teams in the east to have better records than some division winners and to have to play a single game to decide their season against a team that was 5-6 gms back of them.

This is real? Wow what a horrible decision.

Complete randomization in baseball playoffs basically gives every team an equal chance. Now we have 162 games played just to have a couple teams move on via a one game playoff? Then this team could win the world series too. This is terrible.

There needs to be a bye system in place. At least give the team with the best record in each conference an advantage of not having to play in one of these randomized rounds.

Can you imagine if the Braves and Red Sox had maintained their huge leads over the Cardinals and Rays, but had to play a one game playoff? And the Cardinals and Rays both won?

There would have been riots in Boston.

But then again, I can see the "just win your division and you don't have to worry about it" argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom