• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
AnEternalEnigma said:
Braves Gaf, Larry Parrish is not the one you need to hate. It's me.

I single-handedly caused the Braves to collapse. I never wanted to admit this. But with Fredi getting Manager of the Year votes, I felt I needed to come forward with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gxbilZnCvk
it all makes sense now, i will blame you for EVERYTHING now. I hope you learned your lesson.

don't go back and read my posts around that time, I was just as confident

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Mrbob said:
This is real? Wow what a horrible decision.

Complete randomization in baseball playoffs basically gives every team an equal chance. Now we have 162 games played just to have a couple teams move on via a one game playoff? Then this team could win the world series too. This is terrible.

There needs to be a bye system in place. At least give the team with the best record in each conference an advantage of not having to play in one of these randomized rounds.

Hi, I'm not sure if this has already been covered, but you know the difference between 1 and 7 games is essentially zero, right? The playoffs aren't meant to determine the best team -- that's what the preceding 162 games are for.

Also, read tango and save yourself some anguish -- the playoffs are already a crapshoot and determine exactly nothing related to which team is best built to win.

PantherLotus said:
Hi, I'm not sure if this has already been covered, but you know the difference between 1 and 7 games is essentially zero, right? The playoffs aren't meant to determine the best team -- that's what the preceding 162 games are for.
Also, read tango and save yourself some anguish -- the playoffs are already a crapshoot and determine exactly nothing related to which team is best built to win.

Wohoo Phils are the best team in baseball 2 years in a row!!!

:( Baseball needs to start again soon

Sanjuro

NihonTiger90 said:
Hi, Houston. Welcome to the American League.
Are they still going to send the pitcher up to the plate? Without it how are they going to lube up their old tyme cocks with grit?

It must be nice to be Selig. No matter what stupid nonsense he does baseball will always be huge. I dont like interleague play, the wildcard, or expanding the playoffs, but none of those decisions has hurt baseballs popularity.

Mrbob

PantherLotus said:

This is why baseball is a bit of a crappy sport though, relative to other ones ( I still like baseball). What is the point of having a long 162 game season if winning your division doesn't even matter? At the moment winning your division nets you one extra home game in a playoff system where history tells you it is a crap shoot to win. There needs to be more incentive for at least being the top team in each conference. Not let lesser teams who can barely scrape in get the same odds of winning a World Series championship.

yankeehater said:
It must be nice to be Selig. No matter what stupid nonsense he does baseball will always be huge. I dont like interleague play, the wildcard, or expanding the playoffs, but none of those decisions has hurt baseballs popularity.
Also he gets to kill franchises and hand them out to his friends.

clemenx

Banned
Mrbob said:
This is why baseball is a bit of a crappy sport though, relative to other ones ( I still like baseball). What is the point of having a long 162 game season if winning your division doesn't even matter? At the moment winning your division nets you one extra home game in a playoff system where history tells you it is a crap shoot to win. There needs to be more incentive for at least being the top team in each conference. Not let lesser teams who can barely scrape in get the same odds of winning a World Series championship.
That just comes with the sport too. In hockey football and basketball the best team will almost always win. Short term and long term likewise. In baseball a lesser team can even embarrass a good team over a short series.

Para bailar La Bomba said:
Because Sox management are too smart to hire the Genius.

LackeyFrancona.gif.opt.gif

Puddles

Banned
I really don't see the reasoning behind Colletti giving Mark Ellis $4 million a year to hit .250 when he could just call up some prospect to do the same thing for the minimum salary.

Puddles said:
I really don't see the reasoning behind Colletti giving Mark Ellis $4 million a year to hit .250 when he could just call up some prospect to do the same thing for the minimum salary.

or just resign Jamey Carroll?

jakncoke

Banned
According to Fernando Ballesteros at the Mexican website Puro Beisbol, the Pirates made a substantial offer to Julio César Urías, a left-handed pitcher from Culiacán. Urías, who is 15 years old, apparently can already throw 88 miles an hour. Unfortunately for us, his parents wouldn't allow him to agree to accept our offer - at least, not yet. The piece indicates that there are several other MLB clubs interested, as well as the LMB's Diablos Rojos. This October 10th article by Rodrigo Peiro of Linea Directa says that in addition to the Pirates, the Braves, Cubs, Giants, Phillies, and Rangers are in on Urías. Of course, no deal can be formally signed with any MLB team until Urías turns 16.

200k and the parents declined blah.

Mrbob said:
There needs to be a bye system in place. At least give the team with the best record in each conference an advantage of not having to play in one of these randomized rounds.
Yeah, because making a team that's been playing baseball routinely for the past six months take a week off won't throw off their rhythm or anything. Anything more than a day or two of extra rest is probably going to hurt more than it helps a team. On the flip side, I'm hoping there's no travel day between the one game WC playoff and the start of the LDS. Being able to setup one's rotation should be reserved as an advantage for the division winners.

h3ro

New Jays logo:
CN1bw.jpg

Awesome rundown of Jays uni history here.

Mets unis look great as well! Solid offseason of uni/logo changes. I'm even warming up to the Marlins get up. The black cap/uni ruins it though. Should have stuck with the orange as the main color.

DiscoJer

Little Green Yoda said:
Yeah, because making a team that's been playing baseball routinely for the past six months take a week off won't throw off their rhythm or anything. Anything more than a day or two of extra rest is probably going to hurt more than it helps a team. On the flip side, I'm hoping there's no travel day between the one game WC playoff and the start of the LDS. Being able to setup one's rotation should be reserved as an advantage for the division winners.

Indeed - look at 2006. The Cardinals fought a very tough series against the Mets, while the Tigers I think swept whoever they were playing. Even a fairly short time of 4-5 days off proved to be the nail in the coffin for the Tigers. Even the game they won, Kenny Rogers had to cheat (had some sort of gunk on his hat).

The sensible think to have done was to add two more teams (both in New York, where there could be a division of 3 NY teams and Boston) and then have 4 divisions of 4 teams.

Of course, then they'd still likely have two wild cards as in football, and thus byes for the two best teams, and you'd have this problem.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Mrbob said:
This is real? Wow what a horrible decision.

Complete randomization in baseball playoffs basically gives every team an equal chance. Now we have 162 games played just to have a couple teams move on via a one game playoff? Then this team could win the world series too. This is terrible.

What? The two wild card teams are being punished for not winning their division. Teams that actually win their divisions are being rewarded by the new system.

If you don't want to be part of the one game playoff, then simply win your division.

This isn't watering down the playoffs. This is making what should be an integral part of the regular season, trying to win your division, actually relevant once again.

h3ro said:
New Jays logo:
CN1bw.jpg

Awesome rundown of Jays uni history here.

Mets unis look great as well! Solid offseason of uni/logo changes. I'm even warming up to the Marlins get up. The black cap/uni ruins it though. Should have stuck with the orange as the main color.
They unveil new unis today? Lukas loved new Mets unis, they are really good.

Doytch

Dmncnby2k9 said:
They unveil new unis today? Lukas loved new Mets unis, they are really good.
At noon.
in that issue of the Star [1976 Logo Unveiling], the Jays story was trumped by hockey news on D1 and on the front page by councillors talking about shutting down the Toronto Zoo, Israel-Palestine relations, an ailing economy, Iran, and bilingualism in Canada (seriously those were the headline stories that day).
fucking lol.

Fenix

Doytch said:
Ehhhhhh, two things:

1. Maple leaf not linked to stitching. Sad.
2. Two fonts....? Really?
I think both fonts will be on the jersey too, player name and team name. Leaf is a bit too big and got moved inwards because of it, the ball probably won't be on the cap logo though, so you won't see it much.

DoctorWho said:
The two fonts is bugging me.

It's not like they're really different fonts. They're variations on the same font.

I'd be annoyed at yet another round logo, but it's just a remake of their old logo, so it gets a pass there.

eznark

Banned
Blue Jays logo is perfect.

acheron_xl said:
I'd be annoyed at yet another round logo, but it's just a remake of their old logo, so it gets a pass there.

Worst taste ever doesn't like it so we know they did this thing right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom