• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dodgers have officially signed Matt Kemp to an 8-year, $160 million extension. The Dodgers now have Kemp through 2019.

The deal has a full no-trade clause. No word yet on yearly salaries, a signing bonus, or options.

It is now the biggest contract ever offered in Dodgers history in both length and money. The previous high was Kevin Brown's 7-year, $105 million deal before the 1999 season.

As of now, Kemp's deal ties Manny Ramirez's identical deal with the Red Sox signed before the 2001 season as the 7th largest contract in MLB history. Although with Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder yet to sign deals, that could change quickly.

richiek said:
Mets getting rid of the black = big improvement.

I guess I didn't care enough that it moved the needle for me. They were a classic case of 'black for blacks sake' but that doesn't bother me as much as it bothers others.

In other news, the Doumit signing is a good one. I see lots of DH and 1B in Mauer's future.

And for the Dodgers' sake (and of one of my fantasy team's) I hope Kemp doesn't turn into a pumpkin and that 2011 Kemp is the real Kemp.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I should really come in here more often. I love the new BJ logo and will be buying a fitted hat for the first time in almost 20 years.

AnEternalEnigma said:
The Dodgers have officially signed Matt Kemp to an 8-year, $160 million extension. The Dodgers now have Kemp through 2019.

The deal has a full no-trade clause. No word yet on yearly salaries, a signing bonus, or options.

It is now the biggest contract ever offered in Dodgers history in both length and money. The previous high was Kevin Brown's 7-year, $105 million deal before the 1999 season.

As of now, Kemp's deal ties Manny Ramirez's identical deal with the Red Sox signed before the 2001 season as the 7th largest contract in MLB history. Although with Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder yet to sign deals, that could change quickly.

Ugh..Dont know what was worse. Brown, Dreifort or Jason's contract..

Holy shit at the hatred for my Braves jinx YouTube video. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Also, holy shit at nearly 3,000 views in less than 36 hours.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
sounds like there might be another playoff change in the new cba as well. Teams in the same division can play each other in the division series. Aka, the wild card team has to face the team with the best record.

Kuroyume

Banned
The new Mets jerseys look great. Obviously not as big a change as the new Jays jerseys which btw also look great but the change does make the jerseys look better. I always thought the Jays had one of the better logos/jerseys in baseball so I never understood why they went to that black, grey, and dull blue.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Via Rosenthal:

New rules take effect next winter. Elias rankings gone. Top FAs subject to comp if teams make them qualifying offers north of $12M.

Huge, long overdue change. Makes a lot of sense too.

Source: All remaining Type A relievers - Madson, K-Rod, Bell - will NOT be subject to draft-pick compensation this off-season.
Teams that sign those relievers, and certain other Type As, will not forfeit picks. Teams that lose those players will still get them
Top Type As - Pujols, Fielder, Reyes, plus former MVPs Ortiz, Rollins and others - still will carry draft-pick compensation this year.

To those asking whether #Phillies will still lose their first-round pick for signing Papelbon, the answer is YES.

LOL.

Ruben Amaro is a great goddamn GM. I'm glad he's in the same division as the Braves. It would be great to still have Omar Minaya running the Mets. That would be like a baseball fever dream.

The Phillies are going to be such a hilarious mess starting around 2014.

Windu

Via Rosenthal:

New rules take effect next winter. Elias rankings gone. Top FAs subject to comp if teams make them qualifying offers north of $12M.

Huge, long overdue change. Makes a lot of sense too.

Source: All remaining Type A relievers - Madson, K-Rod, Bell - will NOT be subject to draft-pick compensation this off-season.
Teams that sign those relievers, and certain other Type As, will not forfeit picks. Teams that lose those players will still get them
Top Type As - Pujols, Fielder, Reyes, plus former MVPs Ortiz, Rollins and others - still will carry draft-pick compensation this year.

To those asking whether #Phillies will still lose their first-round pick for signing Papelbon, the answer is YES.

LOL.
wonder how they will determine who is a top Type A etc.. Anyway, i like it. Interesting that lower type A FAs still have compensation, but teams don't have to give it. Sounds like mlb will just give them a draft pick.

Ruben Amaro is a great goddamn GM. I'm glad he's in the same division as the Braves. It would be great to still have Omar Minaya running the Mets. That would be like a baseball fever dream.

The Phillies are going to be such a hilarious mess starting around 2014.
well i wouldn't go that far. They will have 63 million tied up into 3 players, but will probably have a payroll at something like 160 or so. So 100 million to spend on 22 players...imagine what the braves could do with a 100 million dollar payroll.

He has given up a lot of talent etc.. with these trades and signings though but you can draft and replenish your system in 3 years.

McGwire, Oquendo, and Duncan will remain with the Cards at least through next season, which is good. I'm guessing Oquendo will be hunting for a manager position elsewhere as soon as possible and Duncan will be retiring after the 2012 season, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Big Mac stick around for some time.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Barmes got 2 years 11 million from the Pirates.

I have no idea why initial reaction is so negative. I guess because it's Barmes, but he had a really good season last year and it's not like he's blocking the path for somebody else.

Really thought the Brewers would have gone after him harder than they did. He's a lot better than Yunie.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ugh..Dont know what was worse. Brown, Dreifort or Jason's contract..

Kevin Brown has to be one of the most historically underrated pitchers of all time.

During his time as a Dodger he put up three 6+ WAR seasons. The other years he was injured, but he was really not overpaid at all, not in comparison to the other guys mentioned.

His career in general was absolutely amazing stuff. It really doesn't mesh with the general perception of the guys career at all.

Kevin Brown has to be one of the most historically underrated pitchers of all time.

During his time as a Dodger he put up three 6+ WAR seasons. The other years he was injured, but he was really not overpaid at all, not in comparison to the other guys mentioned.

His career in general was absolutely amazing stuff. It really doesn't mesh with the general perception of the guys career at all.

Too bad everyone's final memories of him are punching a wall in Yankee Stadium and getting blown up by the Red Sox in Game 7 the '04 ALCS.

Windu

hall of famer

During his time as a Dodger he put up three 6+ WAR seasons. The other years he was injured, but he was really not overpaid at all, not in comparison to the other guys mentioned.His career in general was absolutely amazing stuff. It really doesn't mesh with the general perception of the guys career at all.

But wasnt he the first to sign 100m contracts?

Sorry, just be biased cause he didnt bring no championships to Dodgerville

I remember that offseason when the Dodgers signed Brown and the Angels signed Mo Vaughn and the LA Times was hyping up a Freeway Series possibility.

Windu

this is why the braves are "raising" payroll:

Minimum salary is being raised to $480k from $414k in 2012. It will eventually increase up to $500k.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/19/minimum-salary-to-rise-to-480000-in-new-labor-deal/

also:
Super-two arbitration will not only stick around but will include a few new members each year. From now on, the top 22 percent of players with two-plus years service time will be eligible from arbitration, up from the current 17 percent.

- The luxury-tax threshold will remain at $178 million next year.

- There will be two separate tax systems in place for the signing of draft picks and international free agents. A tax of 75 percent to 100 percent of the amount exceeded will be imposed on teams that go over the threshold and there will also be some threshold that causes the loss of draft picks.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
- There will be two separate tax systems in place for the signing of draft picks and international free agents. A tax of 75 percent to 100 percent of the amount exceeded will be imposed on teams that go over the threshold and there will also be some threshold that causes the loss of draft picks.

Awful. Just awful. Although this isn't even the worst thing they could have done, so I guess it's got that going for it.

Does this tax money get redistributed or does MLB just pocket it?

2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement highlights:

-- Realignment that will move the Houston Astros to the AL West starting with the 2013 season.

-- Starting with either the 2012 and 2013 season, each league will see the addition of a second Wild Card team. A one-game playoff will be played the day after the regular season ends to decide the Wild Card champion. The game will be played in the stadium of the team with the better overall win/loss record. If there is a tie, the game will be held in the stadium of the team with the best head-to-head season record. If there is a three-way tie, the team with the lowest combined head-to-head record against the other two other teams would travel to play the team with the second-highest record the day after the regular season. The winner would travel to play the team with the best record on the following day to decide the Wild Card winner.

-- Starting with the season the second Wild Card gets added, the team with the League's best record will now always play the Wild Card team in the Division Series regardless if both teams play within the same division.

-- Starting with the 2013 season, Interleague games will now be played during all six months of the season. MLB is still working on the 2013 season schedule and does not have specifics at this time.

-- Blood testing MLB players for Human Growth Hormone starting with the 2012 season. Baseball has tested for HGH in the minors since July 2010 and has only one positive test: Mike Jacobs. Punishment for positive tests will fall in line with other performance-enhancing drugs: 50 games for the first suspension, 100 games for the second suspension, and a lifetime ban from baseball with no chance of reinstatement for the third suspension.

-- The percentage of players eligible for salary aribitration who are sitting at more than 2 but less than 3 years of MLB service time will increase to the top 22% length-wise. Previously, only the top 17% of players between 2 and 3 years of service time were eligible.

-- Baseball's minimum salary will increase from $414,000 to $480,000 starting in 2012. At some point during the Agreement, the minimum salary will increase to $500,000, which was the average MLB salary in 1989.

-- There will now be a luxury tax on money spent for the amateur draft in an effort to restrain signing bonuses that have exploded in the last few years. With the draft, if a team goes over a certain spending limit, they will be hit with a 75% tax. With International free agents, a seperate limit/luxury tax system will be implemented, but a study group has been formed that could create a new system later.

-- Effective Tuesday when the Agreement is announced, the number of Type A free agents will be cut from 24 to 21 in an effort to bridge to the new system that will begin in the 2012-2013 offseason. This now means that the teams who sign the previously ranked #22-#24 Type A free agents (Francisco Cordero, Octavio Dotel, and Takashi Saito) will not have to surrender their first-round draft pick. The only Type A free agent that has been signed this offseason is Jonathan Papelbon, who signed a 4-year, $50 million deal with the Phillies last week. But the Phillies would have still been required to surrender a draft pick, since Papelbon was ranked #8. The Red Sox will only get one draft pick from the Phillies because Papelbon signed before the arbitration deadline.

The Type B compensation has been eliminated entirely and will be effective Tuesday. The only Type B free agent who signed with a new team this offseason was Rod Barajas, who signed a 1-year, $4 million deal with the Pirates last week. But since the Dodgers did not offer Barajas arbitration, there is no compensation.

The system beginning with the 2013 offseason will eliminate Type classifications entirely. Compensation will be decided by a new "qualifying offer" system.

-- Starting after the 2012 season, in lieu of offering arbitration, teams will have to make a "qualifying offer" of at least a one-year guaranteed deal in order to receive compensation for players that sign with other teams as free agents. The minimum amount of guaranteed money that would have to be offered will start at $12.4 million and could increase over time. If a team does not make a qualifying offer to a free agent, they will receive no compensation if he signs elsewhere. This new compensation system will replace the statistical ranking of free agents by the Elias Sports Bureau that has been in place since 1981.

-- Despite discussions about it, there will be no floor tax placed on low-payroll teams.

-- There will be modifications to the luxury tax, but the threshhold for 2012 will remain at $178 million.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement highlights:

-- Realignment that will move the Houston Astros to the AL West starting with the 2013 season.

-- Starting with either the 2012 and 2013 season, each league will see the addition of a second Wild Card team. A one-game playoff will be played the day after the regular season ends to decide the Wild Card champion. The game will be played in the stadium of the team with the better overall win/loss record. If there is a tie, the game will be held in the stadium of the team with the best head-to-head season record. If there is a three-way tie, the team with the lowest combined head-to-head record against the other two other teams would travel to play the team with the second-highest record the day after the regular season. The winner would travel to play the team with the best record on the following day to decide the Wild Card winner.

-- Starting with the season the second Wild Card gets added, the team with the League's best record will now always play the Wild Card team in the Division Series regardless if both teams play within the same division.

-- Starting with the 2013 season, Interleague games will now be played during all six months of the season. MLB is still working on the 2013 season schedule and does not have specifics at this time.

-- Blood testing MLB players for Human Growth Hormone starting with the 2012 season. Baseball has tested for HGH in the minors since July 2010 and has only one positive test: Mike Jacobs. Punishment for positive tests will fall in line with other performance-enhancing drugs: 50 games for the first suspension, 100 games for the second suspension, and a lifetime ban from baseball with no chance of reinstatement for the third suspension.

-- The percentage of players eligible for salary aribitration who are sitting at more than 2 but less than 3 years of MLB service time will increase to the top 22% length-wise. Previously, only the top 17% of players between 2 and 3 years of service time were eligible.

-- Baseball's minimum salary will increase from $414,000 to $480,000 starting in 2012. At some point during the Agreement, the minimum salary will increase to $500,000, which was the average MLB salary in 1989.

-- There will now be a luxury tax on money spent for the amateur draft in an effort to restrain signing bonuses that have exploded in the last few years. With the draft, if a team goes over a certain spending limit, they will be hit with a 75% tax. With International free agents, a seperate limit/luxury tax system will be implemented, but a study group has been formed that could create a new system later.

-- Effective Tuesday when the Agreement is announced, the number of Type A free agents will be cut from 24 to 21 in an effort to bridge to the new system that will begin in the 2012-2013 offseason. This now means that the teams who sign the previously ranked #22-#24 Type A free agents (Francisco Cordero, Octavio Dotel, and Takashi Saito) will not have to surrender their first-round draft pick. The only Type A free agent that has been signed this offseason is Jonathan Papelbon, who signed a 4-year, $50 million deal with the Phillies last week. But the Phillies would have still been required to surrender a draft pick, since Papelbon was ranked #8. The Red Sox will only get one draft pick from the Phillies because Papelbon signed before the arbitration deadline.

The Type B compensation has been eliminated entirely and will be effective Tuesday. The only Type B free agent who signed with a new team this offseason was Rod Barajas, who signed a 1-year, $4 million deal with the Pirates last week. But since the Dodgers did not offer Barajas arbitration, there is no compensation.

The system beginning with the 2013 offseason will eliminate Type classifications entirely. Compensation will be decided by a new "qualifying offer" system.

-- Starting after the 2012 season, in lieu of offering arbitration, teams will have to make a "qualifying offer" of at least a one-year guaranteed deal in order to receive compensation for players that sign with other teams as free agents. The minimum amount of guaranteed money that would have to be offered will start at $12.4 million and could increase over time. If a team does not make a qualifying offer to a free agent, they will receive no compensation if he signs elsewhere. This new compensation system will replace the statistical ranking of free agents by the Elias Sports Bureau that has been in place since 1981.

-- Despite discussions about it, there will be no floor tax placed on low-payroll teams.

-- There will be modifications to the luxury tax, but the threshhold for 2012 will remain at $178 million.

RIP small market teams. These changes are awful, awful and awful.

maruchan

The new orioles logo is incredibly stupid looking.

im not a orioles fan but i love the return of the old logo.. reminds me of Ripken and Murray..
cal-ripken-jr-rookie-card.jpg

Eddie+Murray.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom