• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Out of the four major sports, MLB is the only one that simply can't afford to have a work stoppage. So, no.

Calling shens. NBA/NHL/MLB/NFL and MLB is the one that can't afford it?

The NHL and NBA could? What makes you say that? The NBA is already marginally popular and not-so-marginally unprofitable. Why do you think they could weather a storm better than the MLB?

Not that MLB could necessarily do any better. But baseball is at least financially healthy, even if no one ACTUALLY gives a shit.

Sanjuro

Maybe I should have rephrased that possibly. Personally I think MLB has the most to lose if they lose an entire season. You're right they are financially healthier than the other two mentioned, but the losses in the fans and coverage departments going forward would be more devastating in the long run.

I guess to sum it up, I think a fan lost from MLB is more costly to the future of the game than the NBA losing a fan. From a direct profitability sense I think you're right. There are just a ton of factors to really think about when you are talking about any of these sports shutting down for an entire season.

OH MY GOD the Phillies offered Raul Ibanez arbitration?!?!?! He could make $13 million next year if he accepts. Hahahahahahaha, GO AMARO!

EDIT: Damn it, supposedly Ibanez agreed in advance to decline if they offered.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
OH MY GOD the Phillies offered Raul Ibanez arbitration?!?!?! He could make $13 million next year if he accepts. Hahahahahahaha, GO AMARO!

EDIT: Damn it, supposedly Ibanez agreed in advance to decline if they offered.
Damn, that would have been hilarious if he had accepted. /boooo

Windu

7dqyq.jpg

Muppets as ballplayers

Kermit = Derek jeter
Ms piggy = arod

Dan uggla bork bork bork!

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=15571

Malo

Banned
The Yankees are nearing a one year deal with Freddy Garcia.

I don't expect him to have as good of year as he had last year, but I'm fine with him coming back especially and hopefully as a backend of the rotation starter.

Malo

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/7dqyq.jpg[img]

Muppets as ballplayers

Kermit = Derek jeter
Ms piggy = arod

Dan uggla bork bork bork!

[url]http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=15571[/url][/QUOTE]

lmao @ grienke being beaker.

Windu

Couple of random things I missed in the CBA, by 2013 all MLB players will be required to wear those new gonzo batting helmets that protect against 100 mph pitches lol. Also, we might see instant replay for trapped balls, needs the umpires approval though.

JABEE

Couple of random things I missed in the CBA, by 2013 all MLB players will be required to wear those new gonzo batting helmets that protect against 100 mph pitches lol. Also, we might see instant replay for trapped balls, needs the umpires approval though.

Now Victorino can be laughed at for other reasons beside his helmet.

Sanjuro

He earned about $3.5 million after incentives. I could of seen him getting double that, good deal for the yanks.

I would say that is a great deal. He still could be Mr. Glass, although I would take that risk any day. A finesse pitcher posting those kind of numbers in the AL East is worth the risk.

Windu

i'll just post this here since clemex probably won't see my response to his post in the nfl, black people thread.
Why are black people underrepresented in baseball? :( The best player in the last 50 years is black, we need more of it.
with the amount of international players in the mlb when you actually account for just the americans, i think the amount of african americans are basically in line (maybe a little lower, but not drastic) with what the census says, something like 12%. I think african americans in mlb is something like 10% or so and that includes international players, so its a little higher than that when you take them out.

edit: here we go. Apparently 27.7% of the players in mlb are foreign born and 8.5% are African Americans.

The percentage of players with foreign-born roots is the same as it was last season -- 27.7. The total of 234 is a figure that spans 14 countries and territories.
The percentage of black players dropped to 8.5 percent on opening day this year, down from 10 percent at the start of last season and its lowest level since 2007. The percentage of Latino players dropped from 28.4 percent to 27 percent – baseball’s lowest since 1999′s 26 percent.
edit: they accounted for everyone on the 25 man rosters, restricted lists and disabled lists to get that 27.7 percent (849) If my math is correct, adjusting for that stuff, it puts african americans right around 12-13% of americans in the mlb, right in line with the census.

clemenx

Banned
I've never seen a tweet getting retweeted so fast. LoMo must be drunk or something or just bored.

Edit:see, he was just trolling, lol.

cashman

Banned
What the hell, the more I read about the new CBA the more it sucks.

It completely fucks teams like the Rangers and Rays.

Also from what I've heard they might go for a full international draft starting 2014, which could effectively kill off foreign talent.

Is that at all comparable to what Brian Wilson said about Carlos Beltran during the ASG, that he'd really like to have Beltran on the team? Because if I recall, didn't Wilson catch heat from MLB about that?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Morrison really needs to shut the fuck up. Even if he's joking, saying shit like that could really start some bad stuff.

I actually wish he keeps it going.

New CBA has a "social media policy" which to me would have been created due to pretty much only LoMo and a handful of other players. Evidently nobody has gotten the memo to LoMo yet. Hopefully nobody ever does.

It completely fucks teams like the Rangers and Rays.

Also from what I've heard they might go for a full international draft starting 2014, which could effectively kill off foreign talent.

Selig is just on a mission to kill teams and give them to his friends. If his frat brother in Oakland can't get the rights to San Jose, chaos will ensue.

The Red Sox have narrowed their manager search down to Bobby Valentine and Gene Lamont. It's expected either Valentine or Lamont will be named the new Red Sox manager next week.

ToxicAdam

Those guys are dinosaurs. Not that it really matters, MLB manager is one of the most inconsequential leadership positions in all of sports.

Sanjuro

Those guys are dinosaurs. Not that it really matters, MLB manager is one of the most inconsequential leadership positions in all of sports.
Not in Boston unfortunately. From a strictly baseball perspective you're right. Who ever it is needs to be smooth with the media, that was one of Francona's best attributes. Everyone liked him around here.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Mariners acquire left-handed hitting catcher John Jaso from TB in exchange for RHP Josh Lueke and a PTBNL (or cash considerations).

Ugh. So disgusted. Legitimately offended that the Rays would trade for that despicable man.

I guess sex offenders are the new market inefficiency.

Mariners acquire left-handed hitting catcher John Jaso from TB in exchange for RHP Josh Lueke and a PTBNL (or cash considerations).

Ugh. So disgusted. Legitimately offended that the Rays would trade for that despicable man.

I guess sex offenders are the new market inefficiency.

I read the story. The girl in question was a major league slut and went home with Lueke and another dude from the bar. Spectators said they had seen the girl drinking in three bars that night and had been making out with a lot of dudes that night.

The most they figured he did was jerk off on her while she was asleep. Not saying that's cool to do, but I'm sure the girl gave off indicators that she wouldn't mind something like that happening. Hell, she said somebody was jerking off next to her while she was throwing up in a toilet. She still decided to stick around and sleep there.

He actually served more time for lying about it than for what he actually did. He ended up serving 42 days in jail for it, mostly because police knew the girl was a...loose type.

Meohsix

Now that the rays got rid of Jaso, and don't really have anyone else worthwhile at catcher, i can see them going after Posada with a 1 or 2 year deal.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Now that the rays got rid of Jaso, and don't really have anyone else worthwhile at catcher, i can see them going after Posada with a 1 or 2 year deal.

Doubt it. They just signed one of the Molina brothers (well its still pending I think) and both Chirinos and Labaton will get plenty of playing time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom