• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Marlins wined and dined C.J. Wilson yesterday.

Superteam being created.
they are going to spend more money on wining and dining than contracts. It seems like all of this is just to sell more tickets. I'm starting to doubt that they will actually sign a big FA.

what kind of job? and I second the when is opening day question. NY football teams suck sweaty balls and talk too much crap and the other two sports never really do it for me.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Red Sox and Bobby Valentine have reached a verbal agreement for him to be the next Sox manager.

Source: Mike Lynch - WCTV in Boston

If it's true then good for Bobby. He was a great manager for the Mets. I'm sure he'll do fine in Boston.

Also means he's gone from the commentating booth. Great news! Unless they bring back Joe Morgan.

Dammit...the Red Sox will not only be well-managed, but they will be even more effective at Yankee trolling as a team with the style of baseball Bobby V will get them to play - and the crazy antics he himself will likely perform.

Bobby V, I renounce you from my pantheon of favorite managers!

:(

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i wonder if Valentine still does that 1st Baseman off the bag pickoff strategy. I don't know why, but that used to annoy the shit out of me.

cashman

Banned
what kind of job? and I second the when is opening day question. NY football teams suck sweaty balls and talk too much crap and the other two sports never really do it for me.

Some sort of Assistant to the GM job. He's gonna be a special instructor in Spring Training, and he'll be around as a talent evaluator of some sort.

Sharp

What the hell is wrong with your country, Doytch. Every time I turn on a television it's all hockey.
Why? Because he's one of the best hitting players available thats why. It's very rare to add such a player to your lineup and with his addition, our lineup just seems that much better. I'd easily want LaRoche replaced by Fielder. Also, Marrero is injured and according to Ladson he won't be ready by spring training. I would be fine with LaRoche but just because we LaRoche and Marerro as options there doesn't mean I wouldn't take Fielder. I'm also saying that Morse should stay in LF.
Morse is kind of awful in LF, though. Both by UZR and the eye test, he's an unmitigated disaster there. And while I think Fielder will obviously add value at first base for the Nats, when you consider the production we could already get there out of Morse, is it enough of a jump to warrant his hefty salary and years requirements?

Fenix

What the hell is wrong with your country, Doytch. Every time I turn on a television it's all hockey.

Morse is kind of awful in LF, though. Both by UZR and the eye test, he's an unmitigated disaster there. And while I think Pujols will obviously add value at first base for the Nats, when you consider the production we could already get there out of Morse, is it enough of a jump to warrant his hefty salary and years requirements?

It's Tuesday, so only one NFL score. CFL wrapped up on Sunday, no Basketball till Christmas and you're in Canada. It's hell, I know.

It's probably a 50/50 split between NHL and Junior Hockey too.

Whereabouts are you visiting?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member

Morse is kind of awful in LF, though. Both by UZR and the eye test, he's an unmitigated disaster there. And while I think Fielder will obviously add value at first base for the Nats, when you consider the production we could already get there out of Morse, is it enough of a jump to warrant his hefty salary and years requirements?

Everything I've read from the team hasn't even mentioned Morse remaining as our main 1B.

Sharp

It's Tuesday, so only one NFL score. CFL wrapped up on Sunday, no Basketball till Christmas and you're in Canada. It's hell, I know.

It's probably a 50/50 split between NHL and Junior Hockey too.

Whereabouts are you visiting?
I'm in Toronto. Got about 12 gin and tonics in me so I'm not that upset, but I am just bewildered by the type of coverage. They are covering some random UFC fight over the return of the NBA, for chrissake.
sazabirules said:
Everything I've read from the team hasn't even mentioned Morse remaining as our main 1B.
Only because they paid LaRoche $8m to look pretty on the bench last year. If it weren't for him there's zero chance Morse isn't manning first base on opening day. As it stands I think they're making a huge mistake here.

Fenix

I'm in Toronto. Got about 12 gin and tonics in me so I'm not that upset, but I am just bewildered by the type of coverage. They are covering some random UFC fight over the return of the NBA, for chrissake.
I'm pretty sure the UFC would get billing over the NBA even if the regular season was on, I think we've got a fight at Rogers Centre sometime soon.

And yeah, hockey is life here, especially when the Leafs are feigning competence.

Shitty day to visit, sorry about that.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Depends on what sports channel too. Sportsnet doesn't focus much on basketball anymore due to losing the rights so their priorities probably go Leafs and Jays, Candian NHL teams, UFC, then everything else. TSN is Leafs, Raptors and Canadian NHL teams, random NHL games, then everything else.

eznark

Banned
Nah. They want someone who can help them win right now. The team is in a transition period but have the resources (and talent) that they don't need to totally "rebuild." They can bring in a fiery personality like Valentine to try and light a fire under the vets asses before he flames out in two years.

This is a short term hire. I assume the organization will either groom or court a replacement for a couple years from now. Bringing in a newb to this clubhouse wouldn't have been terribly wise.

eznark

Banned
Tim Kurkjian was on ESPN Radio this morning saying that several Red Sox players have complained to him about the hiring. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

Red Sox should have hired LaRussa. That guy loves getting drunk as shit in the clubhouse.

Bobby V is precisely the guy they need to kick those beer-and-chicken-pounding slackers in the ass and get them to play baseball with hate in their hearts for the opposition. He doesn't take any shit, and he couldn't care less about the media. He'll troll them harder than they could possibly troll him.

God, I hate this signing.

Sanjuro

Bobby V is precisely the guy they need to kick those beer-and-chicken-pounding slackers in the ass and get them to play baseball with hate in their hearts for the opposition. He doesn't take any shit, and he couldn't care less about the media. He'll troll them harder than they could possibly troll him.

God, I hate this signing.

FzJUA.jpg

Fenix

mlbtraderumors said:
The new collective bargaining agreement calls for a competitive balance draft pick lottery beginning in 2013, and MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo has details. 13 teams will be eligible for the first lottery based on their market size and revenue: the Diamondbacks, Orioles, Indians, Royals, Athletics, Pirates, Padres, Rays, Reds, Rockies, Marlins, Brewers, and Cardinals. The lottery gives each of these teams the chance to win one of six extra picks in the 2013 draft, which will come after the compensation picks for free agents. The odds of winning a pick will be based on each team's winning percentage in the previous season.
Your official, MLB sanctioned small market teams!

Via MLBTradeRumors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom