• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's officially Jim Crane time in Houston. Astros just fired GM Ed Wade. Announcement to be made on Monday. Also, Tal Smith, Astros Team President since 1995, is expected to announce his retirement on Monday.

squicken

It's officially Jim Crane time in Houston. Astros just fired GM Ed Wade. Announcement to be made on Monday. Also, Tal Smith, Astros Team President since 1995, is expected to announce his retirement on Monday.

I don't post here so I will just chime in to say goodbye you jerk ass Ed Wade

I don't know how real the rumor really is, but it would really be awesome if they get Friedman to come back home

Curious, who here has bought MLB.TV before? I'm considering subscribing this season as I don't have cable television so that I can watch it via my Roku box on my TV. According to the MLB.com blackout-locator, I'm not in a blackout for any team which is awesome. Just wondering if you guys found it to be worthwhile/functional? Thanks.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Curious, who here has bought MLB.TV before? I'm considering subscribing this season as I don't have cable television so that I can watch it via my Roku box on my TV. According to the MLB.com blackout-locator, I'm not in a blackout for any team which is awesome. Just wondering if you guys found it to be worthwhile/functional? Thanks.
very worthwhile. Just make sure you have a consistent 3mbps connection.

bluemax

Banned

Absolutely.

Alright, you've both sold me. I was strongly leaning that direction, just wanted some MLB-GAF opinion on it. My connection is solid, so I'm not worried about that either. Perhaps now I can join in on the regular season chatter!

If it wasn't for MLB's fucking stupid local blackout rules (and FOX's bullshit), I'd have my regular cable TV turned off. All I ever watch on it is baseball and MLB Network.

Alright, you've both sold me. I was strongly leaning that direction, just wanted some MLB-GAF opinion on it. My connection is solid, so I'm not worried about that either. Perhaps now I can join in on the regular season chatter!

I'm so jealous that you are not in any blackout zones. How the fuck is that possible? Damn you.

I'm so jealous that you are not in any blackout zones. How the fuck is that possible? Damn you.

Maybe I'm incorrect on this, but I used this, input my zip code, and it claims I'm black-out free.

Fuck. So my zip code is 61802. I just tried the neighboring zip code, 61801, and it claims it's a black out region for Cubs, Cards, and White Sox. What gives? Am I safe or should I some how contact MLB.tv to verify? If I am in the blackout zone, does that mean no live games for me for those teams?

Maybe I'm incorrect on this, but I used this, input my zip code, and it claims I'm black-out free.

Fuck. So my zip code is 61802. I just tried the neighboring zip code, 61801, and it claims it's a black out region for Cubs, Cards, and White Sox. What gives? Am I safe or should I some how contact MLB.tv to verify? If I am in the blackout zone, does that mean no live games for me for those teams?

Yeah. It blows.

And I don't think you're doing it incorrectly, I just figured every single area code in the country had at least one team blacked out.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_blackout_policy

All of the Continental United States, except for some small, remote, isolated patches, are within at least one team's blackout territory. Some areas may lie within the territories of two or more.

I'd say more likely than not you are blacked out of those three teams. If not, you live in the luckiest zip code ever. Try clicking on the "current location" or "IP address" option.

The MLB blackout rules piss me off so badly. I lived in Iowa for a while, and apparently MLB doesn't really care about making fans there since 1/5 of the league is blacked out.

Makes me sad too. I refuse to pay for cable just to watch baseball though, so it looks like I'll be going another season without games beyond the occasional one at a friend's or a bar!

Carlbeego

Makes me sad too. I refuse to pay for cable just to watch baseball though, so it looks like I'll be going another season without games beyond the occasional one at a friend's or a bar!

With Direct TV sports package and Extra Innings, I can see everything but the Padres.

Padres have a deal with Cox Communications I think.

The New York Post is reporting the Phillies contacted Billy Wagner after whatever they had with Ryan Madson fell through.

The Philadelphia Phillies had an outside-the-box idea after their reported 4-year, $44 million agreement with Ryan Madson fell through the cracks. The team contacted Billy Wagner in hopes of coaxing him out of retirement.

Wagner confirmed the contact from his former team to the New York Post's David Hale, saying, "It was after the regular season...just to see if I was even contemplating coming back or had an itch or anything. I just told them, 'No, I don't have an itch.'"

Wagner went out on top in 2010, his lone season with the Atlanta Braves, that season's NL Wild Card winners. In his first full season since August 2008 Tommy John surgery and still popping 98 on the gun at age 39, he recorded 37 saves in 44 chances with a sterling 1.43 ERA, striking out 104 in 69.1 innings. He was elected to the All-Star team by players and coaches, but opted to rest an injured ankle instead.

Wagner's final career appearance ended in auspicious fashion during Game 2 of the NLDS against the San Francisco Giants. Entering in the 10th inning of a 4-4 tie, he injured his oblique avoiding a potential collission with third baseman Troy Glaus on a bunt single by Edgar Renteria. On the next pitch to Andres Torres, Torres bunted the ball right back to Wagner. He picked it up and fired to first baseman Derrek Lee for the out, then immediately went down on the mound in a heap. Just like that, an illustrious 16-season MLB career came to an abrupt end. The Braves went on to win Game 2, but lost the series to the eventual World Series champions.

During the season, Wagner's $6.5 million 2011 option automatically vested when he finished his 50th game. But he announced in the last week of April that this would be his final season. However, he curiously never officially filed for retirement, which led some to believe he was having second thoughts. He remained on the Braves 40-man roster until March 31, 2011. He insisted he was done and stayed true to that.

Wagner insists he has no interest in pitching again.

"No, I’m done. I've got a major role on a JV baseball team," Wagner said of his current post at the Miller School of Albemarle in Charlottesville, Va. "I’m JV baseball coach."

Wagner pitched for the Houston Astros from 1995-2003. He was traded to the Phillies (in exchange for Ezequiel Astacio, Taylor Buchholz, and Brandon Duckworth) where he pitched in 2004 and 2005. He then signed a 4-year, $43 million deal with the New York Mets. In the final year of his deal in 2009, he waived his no-trade clause and was traded to the Boston Red Sox (in exchange for Chris Carter and Eddie Lora). In 2010, he signed a 1-year, $7 million deal with the Braves.

Wagner's effect on the game can still be felt. His watchful eye over the development of 2010 rookies Craig Kimbrel and Jonny Venters allowed them to emerge as one of the most feared bullpen duos in recent memory. In 2011, Kimbrel shattered Neftali Feliz's rookie saves record with 46. Both were elected to the NL All-Star team in 2011.

The Phillies ended up signing Jonathan Papelbon to a 4-year, $50 million deal.

Windu

i wonder if his voice mail message is something like "I'M RETIRED!". It seemed like all year the braves fans were wondering if he was coming back.

Or he could just have "Dun Dun Dun Dun DUN DUN Believe it or not, Billy isn't at home..."

clemenx

Banned
340x230_schilling_videogame_r5ytczym.jpg

Well, that isn't very flattering.

The Rays have given the Astros permission to interview Andrew Friedman for the vacant GM job.

The Cubs are actively listening to offers on Matt Garza.

The Pirates shut down a rumor that they were taking offers on Andrew McCutchen.

McNei1y

Well consider me all giddy and excited now that I see more rumors of Fielder and the Nats. Winter Meetings couldn't get here soon enough.

The silence on the Pujols situation is boring me. There was a rumored big offer from the Marlins, but I highly doubt it is legit. Otherwise, no news at all it seems.

The silence on the Pujols situation is boring me. There was a rumored big offer from the Marlins, but I highly doubt it is legit. Otherwise, no news at all it seems.

I think the off-season is mirroring the regular season a lot. so expect a fuck awesome ending of signings and such.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The Rays have given the Astros permission to interview Andrew Friedman for the vacant GM job.

The Cubs are actively listening to offers on Matt Garza.

The Pirates shut down a rumor that they were taking offers on Andrew McCutchen.

That's one of those things where it's not so much that they were taking offers so much as it was "we won't say no to a hilariously awesome offer," which is and should be the default position of every GM in every sport (except where franchise QBs are concerned and even then I'm sure a hershel walker-sized megafuckup would pry the first pick from whoever gets it).

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think the off-season is mirroring the regular season a lot. so expect a fuck awesome ending of signings and such.

I think you're right, except where Pujols and Fielder are concerned. Marlins probably get Reyes, Cards get Pujols back at the same (or less!) offer they made at the beginning of the season, Fielder goes to the Cubs on a smaller-than-we-thought offer, Buehrle lands with the Yanks, and then the Angels get Wilson. Everything else is middle relief and catcher shenanigans and I don't want any part of it.

Windu

the offseason never really gets started till the winter meetings, i don't see how this year is different from past years.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
the offseason never really gets started till the winter meetings, i don't see how this year is different from past years.

Well Passan pointed out just today that the REALLY big megacontracts from years past were all in November. There's a fair amount of disappointment going around from what I see, at least in the trade rumor circuit. I'm assuming the CBA has a lot to do with it, along with several clubs like the Royals finally (hopefully?) learning from trying to make splashes.

I do wonder, though, what happens when every team starts making smart moves (and non-moves)? We might be seeing it.

ToxicAdam

There were lots of rumors of Soria getting dealt, but it's hard to imagine the Royals selling low on him unless they really think he is done. It would make more sense to keep Soria and let him be a setup guy and rebuild his value.

McNei1y

Why do you want Fielder? We already have a glut of first basemen.

Why? Because he's one of the best hitting players available thats why. It's very rare to add such a player to your lineup and with his addition, our lineup just seems that much better. I'd easily want LaRoche replaced by Fielder. Also, Marrero is injured and according to Ladson he won't be ready by spring training. I would be fine with LaRoche but just because we LaRoche and Marerro as options there doesn't mean I wouldn't take Fielder. I'm also saying that Morse should stay in LF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom