• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

newjeruse

FzJUA.jpg

Thanks. Going to try to get this on Intentional Talk today.

Sanjuro

I think it goes by smallest market or lowest revenue.

Don't have any numbers currently. I would imagine,

Marlins are not in a small market, small baseball market. Certainly low revenue.

Baltimore is certainly not a small market. Low revenue for obvious reasoning.

Cards are pretty interesting because they are probably both technically small market and revenue. They still maintain a decent fanbase and higher payroll than most teams.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Competitive-balance lottery: In a new twist, the teams with the 10 lowest revenues and in the 10 smallest markets (there will be some overlap) will enter a lottery (weighted by winning percentage) for six supplemental picks immediately after the first round. Clubs that lose that lottery will go into a second lottery for six supplemental picks immediately after the second round. Also included in the second-round lottery will be any clubs that received money as part of baseball's revenue-sharing plan.

This gives less-advantaged teams the ability to grab an extra player and have a higher draft cap, though it doesn't come close to making up for no longer being able to spend as much as they want. By far the most interesting provision of the lottery is . . . 

Draft-pick trades: To quote the press release summarizing the CBA: "Picks awarded in the Competitive Balance Lottery may be assigned by a Club, subject to certain restrictions." That means those choices can be traded, a first in draft history, though apparently all other choices still cannot.

One club executive said the restriction would be that only half of the value of the pick would transfer in a trade. A choice worth $1,000,000 would add only $500,000 to another team's draft cap if it changed hands.

It's hard to envision a team that believes in spending on the draft would deal a competitive-balance choice, but a team that doesn't might relish the opportunity.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/2011/11/analyzing-draft-changes-in-the-cba/
5. Competitive Balance Lottery
A. For the first time, Clubs with the lowest revenues and in the smallest markets will
have an opportunity to obtain additional draft picks through a lottery.
B. The ten Clubs with the lowest revenues, and the ten Clubs in the smallest
markets, will be entered into a lottery for the six draft selections immediately
following the completion of the first round of the draft. A Club’s odds of winning
the lottery will be based on its prior season’s winning percentage.
C. The eligible Clubs that did not receive one of the six selections after the first
round, and all other payee Clubs under the Revenue Sharing Plan, will be
entered into a second lottery for the six picks immediately following the
completion of the second round of the draft. A Club’s odds of winning the
lottery will be based on its prior season’s winning percentage.
D. Picks awarded in the Competitive Balance Lottery may be assigned by a Club,
http://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?...r-labor-agreement&catid=30:mlb-news&Itemid=42

Doytch

I would say it's a low risk gamble.
I mean, I don't follow the A's at all, but last year seems like such an aberration from what I read during the season and looking at his career. If he's back to 3 wins, or hell, even 2, that's money. And I think those are the deals that make you a winner. Yeah, the stars are sexy, but getting these kinds of + players for half their worth or less, that's what makes you a strong team. And it's tough to do in FA.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
According to Rosenthal, Angels are about to acquire Iannetta from the Rockies and the Rockies just signed Hernandez to replace him.

Somewhere in a pool with some hot women in his arms Mike Napoli is laughing at his former manager.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'd say Scoscia needs to be removed, but they might get a manager that doesn't actively harm the team soooo

Official. Rockies have traded C Chris Iannetta to the Angels in exchange for P Tyler Chatwood. Rockies have also signed C Ramon Hernandez to a 2-year, $6.5 million deal.

Sanjuro

I mean, I don't follow the A's at all, but last year seems like such an aberration from what I read during the season and looking at his career. If he's back to 3 wins, or hell, even 2, that's money. And I think those are the deals that make you a winner. Yeah, the stars are sexy, but getting these kinds of + players for half their worth or less, that's what makes you a strong team. And it's tough to do in FA.

He's had little injuries here and there. If he can play an entire season on similar level to some of his seasons from 2-3 years ago he will be a great acquisition. You are right though, it is tougher to find solid playmakers. I think he is close to his value anyway.

Your crazy brah. He's only a rookie. And Scosia said he was one of the young arms they were excited about. Kazmir must be returning to the team if they made this move.

newjeruse

Your crazy brah. He's only a rookie. And Scosia said he was one of the young arms they were excited about. Kazmir must be returning to the team if they made this move.

Nah brah. He fits the profile of a pitcher who will be overrated his entire career until people finally realize he sucks. He has good velocity on his fastball and therefore he must have good stuff that he just has to harness. That's not what I see. There just isn't much there. His command is some of the worst I've seen and it would be a compliment if I called his breaking ball and changeup show-me pitches. He can't strike anyone out and he walks the park. Sell, sell, sell.

Sanjuro

You get the Sapporo on MLB? Should get a free case in the mail for that. A years supply of cases if you got Millar to drink some.

newjeruse

You get the Sapporo on MLB? Should get a free case in the mail for that. A years supply of cases if you got Millar to drink some.
Haha no. I was going to get that picture that was posted of the actual can on Intentional Talk today and it actually was in the show but it got cut when the first segment went long.

Sapporo beer is the shit, my sweet bros.

I'll miss ole Hernandez. He came up big for us last year. HEY YO! The first game of the season last year was the highlight of the year for me. It was all downhill from there.

realgm.com said:
Interleague Play that runs throughout the season, set to begin in 2013, won't result in the sort of dramatic increase in AL vs. NL games that some have predicted.

MLB senior vice president Katy Feeney said teams are likely to play "about the same number" of Interleague games under the new alignment.

In 2011, AL teams played 18 apiece and NL teams played 15-18.

"All of that is still to be finalized, but there's not right now, in general, a feel from the players' side or the management side to increase the number of Interleague games," Feeney said. "It will probably be close to the number we currently play."
Want to see some scheduling details already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom