• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

Between the tale of two catchers, Varitek still makes the most sense. He can do some good in a cheap backup role and really help a young pitching staff. He can still play fine defense behind the plate...just don't expect him to throw out a ton of runners. I wouldn't mind if he comes back personally. I've just been hoping the team would get away from the "WE NEED HIM TO CALL A GOOD GAME!" mentality.

Posada brings zero value to any team. I can't imagine anybody signing him.

Malo

Banned
Between the tale of two catchers, Varitek still makes the most sense. He can do some good in a cheap backup role and really help a young pitching staff. He can still play fine defense behind the plate...just don't expect him to throw out a ton of runners. I wouldn't mind if he comes back personally. I've just been hoping the team would get away from the "WE NEED HIM TO CALL A GOOD GAME!" mentality.

I was only kidding about him going to Boston.

While I do believe he should retire I still think he has some value to a team looking for a dh platoon against rhp or pinch hitter.

Dodgers sign Adam Kennedy to a 1-year, $800k contract. Kennedy will make an additional $25k for 325, 350, 375, 400, 425, and 450 plate appearances. If he makes 450 plate appearances, contract value will max out at $950k.

In 2011 with the Mariners, Kennedy hit .234/.277/.355 with 7 homers and 38 RBIs in 409 plate appearances. 0.4 brWAR/0.1 fWAR.

I always hated when AK was with the Cards. He was supposed to be a big bat and didn't produce anything. I did see one of his 2 home runs live in 2008. Yaaaaaay.

Sanjuro

I was only kidding about him going to Boston.

While I do believe he should retire I still think he has some value to a team looking for a dh platoon against rhp or pinch hitter.
I know. Just saying out of the two there is some value. I never had a problem with Posada, but the way he handled himself last season and his overall production leads me to believe there just isn't a spot for him out there.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Vartiek has gotta go seriously, he brings nothing to this team at this point, and he's part of the problem with Beckett.

Bobby V press conference is on now, I'm a big fan of the hire, he knows his shit and he's not afraid to ruffle a few feathers to do the smart thing.

Vartiek has gotta go seriously, he brings nothing to this team at this point, and he's part of the problem with Beckett.
I agree, he seems like he's become more and more surly (from his already surly demeanor) and he's no longer the leader he was (unsurprising given his diminished role).

Sharp

Dodgers sign Adam Kennedy to a 1-year, $800k contract. Kennedy will make an additional $25k for 325, 350, 375, 400, 425, and 450 plate appearances. If he makes 450 plate appearances, contract value will max out at $950k.

In 2011 with the Mariners, Kennedy hit .234/.277/.355 with 7 homers and 38 RBIs in 409 plate appearances. 0.4 brWAR/0.1 fWAR.
I think that was actually better than Kennedy managed to do with us the year before. So glad we have Espinosa now.

So he supposed to be Carroll next season? ugh...

Was ok with the Angels but.....

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

its amazing how much replacement lvl players get now. i wish i had enough talent to be a shitty mlb player.

Windu

Jayson Stark is reporting that the Marlins and Heath Bell have agreed on a 3-year, $27 million deal pending a physical.
i shudder to think what kimbrel (and venters i guess) get in arbitration....

9 million/yr is insane for someone that pitches 60 innings a year.

edit: 150k per inning pitched.

clemenx

Banned
Meh, He's declining and was pitching in PETCO. I'm surprised at the 3 years.
Marlins ballpark is supposedly going to be a big pitchers ballpark so I guess he'll be alright.

I guess we can't expect "proven closers" for less than 10M a year :/ shit sucks.

Windu

Miami baseball team uniforms from the movie baseketball.

ghLRt.jpg

They look familiar.

http://petzrawr.posterous.com/baseketball-came-so-close-to-predicting-what

It's gonna be funny when the only piece they get is a closer. He'll be as useful as CoCo

Yeah I would think closer is like the last pece a team gets. How many save chances did the Marlins even have last year? This seems like signing someone just to say that they signed someone.

Doytch

Dont the Jays desperately need a closer? I thought that they had the most blown saves last year.
They need relievers, yes, not some fatass whose flyball tendencies will get lit the fuck up outside of Petco. And specially not one getting paid $9mil.

So yeah, not really smarting over anything, it's just common sense.

I first was confused because I never heard of the guy play on the Marlins...
The Marlins plan to non-tender Juan Carlos Oviedo.

Formerly known as Leo Nunez, Oviedo is still trying to re-enter the United States after turning himself into authorities this fall for a long-running identity scheme.
It's not known whether he'll be back by spring training. Oviedo posted a 4.06 ERA and 1.21 WHIP over 64 1/3 innings in 2011 while saving 36 games in 42 opportunities. The Padres signed Heath Bell to a three-year, $27 million free agent contract on Thursday.
... then I said WTF???

EDIT:

Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that Jorge Posada would like to continue playing in 2012 and his preference would be to sign with the Marlins.

Posada lives in Miami and at this point in his career would probably be fine with being a backup, so there could be a fit. The Marlins have Brett Hayes to back up John Buck, but they might value Posada's leadership and ability to also fill in at first base. He'd have to be reasonable about his salary expectations, though.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Mai waifu has finally gained back the 20 lbs he lost when he caught the stomach flu in April last year. Looking forward to him having a decent offseason this year so all the idiots who blame all the Twins problems on him shut up when he's Joe Mauer again last season.

eznark

Banned
So Kim Ng (and others) turned down interview requests for the Astros GM position. 1. Sucks to fucking suck, Houston. 2. Does anyone know what her role is with MLB?

Also, Magic Johnson is now trying to buy the Dodgers. If this goes through, my "get raped by an AIDs infested raccoon" joke becomes significantly less humorous.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Mai waifu has finally gained back the 20 lbs he lost when he caught the stomach flu in April last year. Looking forward to him having a decent offseason this year so all the idiots who blame all the Twins problems on him shut up when he's Joe Mauer again last season.

You do realize that he could have a Joe Mauer great year and people will still bash him for only hitting 10 home runs while the Twins are 30 games out of first yet again. He is screwed no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom