• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if the Marlins hat would have been better with just a bigger version of the Fish and no "M". I think they really wanted to emphasize the move to Miami though.
Yea true. maybe all these colors are inspired by the old neon signs.
And the Dodgers are about to go for sale for maybe a billion dollars. Next owner has the money to pay for it.

Tamqv.png

Perfect.

newjeruse

The Marlins uniforms are fine until they start breaking out the orange ones. Gross.

No, they aren't. They're shit. But you know what? Props to them for going for it. They're clearly trying to evoke some weird 1980's Miami ultra-tacky pastiche and they're completely committed to it. It looks like crap but I respect them for not even caring.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Motherfucker.

When you have a chance to re-sign a mediocre middle reliever to closer money and give up a free draft pick in the top 75, you have to make that deal.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Twins GM Terry Ryan: "We're aware of the 9 blown saves. But we truly believe Matt will bounce back in 2012."
How about the massive dip in velocity and K/9, Terry?

It'll be easy to bounce back with the limited number of save opportunities he's likely to get I suppose.

I hope his entire contract is being paid for in cheese curds. Three boats of cheese curds from the State Fair Classics stand for every inning pitched. One bonus bag of mini donuts for every save converted.

Fans on Twitter are really understanding about the return of Capps:

@tara_novotny said:
Ahhhh! Why did the #Twins re-sign Matt Capps? #facepalm
@alskor said:
The #Twins aren't signing Matt Capps as their Closer, are they...? Do not understand or like the direction that team is taking.
@TwinsTwinks said:
Is there something I'm missing? Matt Capps should not be a priority AT ALL. #twins
@r_mack said:
Matt Capps is back...not sure i'll be watching any 9th innings this season.
@BaseballSwagger said:
Matt Capps just caused me to burn my mouth on soup. F U Capps
@jmarthaler said:
That noise you weren't quite sure you heard was a million #Twins fans crying out in horror. Get ready to watch Matt Capps again!
@twinsbsballgirl said:
Dear #Twins, Why the hell did you re-sign Matt Capps? Not happy. Not happy at all. No Love, M
@TheRealTborgs said:
Why did we resign matt capps? #stupid #stupid #stupid
@baseballhappy said:
Oh. Good. Matt Capps is still here. I was worried about that. (Was that convincing?)
@RealKenDick said:
As a Twins fan, not happy. As a Mets fan first, at least this saves them from him... RT @mlbtraderumors Twins To Sign Matt Capps
@tazjam said:
#Twins agree to one-year deal with Matt Capps #TT. All I've got to say is #DAMN.
@ScottWilliam4 said:
Noooo! This guy is so bad!!!RT @1500ESPN: Reports: Twins re-sign closer Matt Capps to one-year deal #Twins

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
It's only one guaranteed year. 2013 is an option. I'm sure it'll auto vest with a certain amount of saves.
I'm still curious what the final contract details are, but I'm going to just go ahead and assume that shit'll vest or be picked up. He's a total Gardenhire guy. With no Nicky Punto, Gardnehire needs people to bowl with.

Puddles

Banned
McCourt and Colletti seem determined to completely fuck the Dodgers on their way out of town.

3 million a year for Jerry Hairston Jr. 4.3 million a year for Mark Ellis. 5 million a year for Capuano. Likely another 5-6 million a year to get Harang.

How about we DON'T sign any of those guys, play some rookies, and at least make an offer to a premier FA?

I'd almost rather have Depodesta back in the front office.

Astros are telling teams they'd be willing to eat 50% of the remaining salaries on Carlos Lee and Brett Myers, but will not eat any salary on Wandy Rodriguez.

Lee and Myers are entering the final years of their contracts. Lee is owed $18.25 million in 2012. Myers is owed $11 million in 2012. Myers has a $10 million option for 2013, but the buyout is a whopping $3 million (nice one, Wade!).

Wandy is owed $23 million over the next two seasons, but his 2014 $13 million option becomes a player option if he's traded.

Astros are telling teams they'd be willing to eat 50% of the remaining salaries on Carlos Lee and Brett Myers, but will not eat any salary on Wandy Rodriguez.

Lee and Myers are entering the final years of their contracts. Lee is owed $18.25 million in 2012. Myers is owed $11 million in 2012. Myers has a $10 million option for 2013, but the buyout is a whopping $3 million (nice one, Wade!).

Wandy is owed $23 million over the next two seasons, but his 2014 $13 million option becomes a player option if he's traded.

No one will pay 9 mil for Lee.
7 mil for Myers might draw some offers.
Wandy 36 mil, yeah Yanks have a better chance to trade Burnett

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Capps is getting $4.5 million for 2012. $6 million option for 2013 with a $250,000 buy out.

What a fucking deal!!

KoZ28.jpg

It sucks being a Mets fan. I suspect attendance at that piece of shit Brooklyn Dodgers knock-off field will be circa mid-90s Shea Stadium levels.

The Wilpons make me appreciate Dolan's ownership of my Knicks (what the hell am I saying)

Nationals are now the front runner for C.J. Wilson. They have offered 6 guaranteed years.

Marlins are having a second meeting with Pujols tonight.

NomarTyme

I thought the Dodgers were supposed to have no free agent money to spend? I know these aren't big moves, but it adds up, right? And they seem like shitty moves. Do you really have nobody in your Triple A roster that can replicate what Jerry Hariston Jr or Mark Ellis can give you for a lot less money? And then use that money to sign one really good FA instead of a bunch of shitty ones?

Its Colletti MO, so I trust him.

JABEE

I think the Mets deserve a break tonight. Make some comments about how terrible the Phillies are at structuring contracts. It will make everyone feel better.

It sucks being a Mets fan. I suspect attendance at that piece of shit Brooklyn Dodgers knock-off field will be circa mid-90s Shea Stadium levels.

The Wilpons make me appreciate Dolan's ownership of my Knicks (what the hell am I saying)

so ungrateful. just be glad we've got pieces to build around like Justin Turner, Josh Thole and Dillon Gee. No more players afraid of getting their uniforms dirty.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
LOL @ Francona saying that Ozzie Guilen would end up on ESPN Deportes if he doesn't win with a big payroll.. hahaah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom