• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nats GM Mike Rizzo came out and said the report of him offering 6 years to C.J. Wilson was total crap.

Rangers are making their offer to him tomorrow. Wilson already has offers on the table from the Angels, Marlins, Nationals, and an unknown fourth team (believed to be the Cubs).

CBS' Scott Miller is reporting the Marlins increased their offer to Pujols to at least match the 9-year, $198 million offer the Cardinals made last winter (which Pujols declined). Most outside executives still believe he'll stay with the Cardinals, though.

BFIB

CBS' Scott Miller is reporting the Marlins increased their offer to Pujols to at least match the 9-year, $198 million offer the Cardinals made last winter (which Pujols declined). Most outside executives still believe he'll stay with the Cardinals, though.

There is a part of me that is kind of wanting Pujols to take this deal. I love him as a Cardinal, and I appreciate what he's done for the franchise, but a 9 year deal could cripple the franchise for a long time. I don't want to see that happen. This isn't steroid era baseball anymore (hopefully), so his natural regression will start. Most of his offensive numbers have declined over the past 4 years.

Not to mention, seeing the Marlins walk around like they're "big market now!" is kind of amusing. If Pujols really wants to hit his 500th HR in front of 9K fans in Miami, who am I to argue?

There is a part of me that is kind of wanting Pujols to take this deal. I love him as a Cardinal, and I appreciate what he's done for the franchise, but a 9 year deal could cripple the franchise for a long time. I don't want to see that happen. This isn't steroid era baseball anymore (hopefully), so his natural regression will start. Most of his offensive numbers have declined over the past 4 years.

Not to mention, seeing the Marlins walk around like they're "big market now!" is kind of amusing. If Pujols really wants to hit his 500th HR in front of 9K fans in Miami, who am I to argue?

I'm going to laugh at any team that gives him that long of a contract. I mean, there is no fucking way that he's only 31. Can't wait to see some team committed to paying him 20+ million for his true age 45 year.

Please sign that deal, Pujols. Get the fuck out of the NL Central and fail to meet expectations with the Marlins so that they can finally be like every other NL East team.

That offer has increased to TEN Years. My god, the Marlins are pushing this hard.

ToxicAdam

In hindsight, it was pretty stupid they let Miggy go. His contract would have been much friendlier (and likely more productive) than the one Pujols might sign.

But, who knows, maybe Cabrera had no intention of playing his entire career as a Marlin.

Slizz

Marlins Jersey has no Pink in it. It's just the lighting.

FE4WZ.png

eznark

Banned
Man, losing out on Jerry Hairston really sucks. He was a pretty solid cog late in the year and would have been a nice, somewhat cheap, utility player for the Brewers.

I really hope Tito discovers the magic of uppers before broadcasts. Every time that guy is on he is 3/4 asleep.

Marlins Jersey has no Pink in it. It's just the lighting.
Ok? Does that really matter? If it often looks like pink it may as well be pink.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Bounce back from and to what, exactly? He was crap before he came to the Nats and he was crap after. And he wasn't even that good during.
Bounce back from being a shitty closer to being a mediocre closer, I assume. He was decent down the stretch in 2010, but he was still mediocre at best.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Rockies to acquire Kevin Slowey.
Good pickup for the Rockies. Gardenhire hates Slowey, he's apparently too smart for Gardy. Sigh. Hope he does well, he was one of my favorite Twins. They better have gotten something useful for him.

Oh good, PBTNL, I've always wanted him on the Twins.

The Royals are aggressively pursuing Gio Gonzales and Mark Buehrle.

Oh my god. One or both of them on a rotation with Sanchez, and it's finally launch time.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently the Twins have offered Cuddyer a 3 year contract for $25 million, and he has not accepted that offer. They are viewing Willingham as a backup option.

Someone swoop in and offer Cuddles some more money so he signs somewhere else, please.

BFIB

Per Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch, the Cardinals have been informed they are not going to be permitted to make a counter offer to Pujols.

eznark

Banned
Wait, I've never understood this, why does no one believe Pujols is 31?

Because he is 40.

Per Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch, the Cardinals have been informed they are not going to be permitted to make a counter offer to Pujols.

What? Who is going to prevent them from making a counter offer? Is that even possible?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
What? Who is going to prevent them from making a counter offer? Is that even possible?
I'm guessing they mean they won't come back and say "The Marlins are offering us 10 years and $250 million" and give them a chance to match?

If Pujols signs with the Marlins I'll be flabbergasted.

Malo

Banned
The Cardinals do not expect to get an opportunity to match or beat an offer from another team before Pujols accepts.

It's basically what lamb said. If Pujol's gets an offer he likes, like some insane contract offer he's going to sign right away.

eznark

Banned
I'm guessing they mean they won't come back and say "The Marlins are offering us 10 years and $250 million" and give them a chance to match?

If Pujols signs with the Marlins I'll be flabbergasted.

Oh, so Pujols just won't listen to a counteroffer. Nice tactic, force the Cardinals (team with the most to lose) to show their hand.

The wording made me think MLB or the union was stepping in and dictating negotiations somehow.

BFIB

Apologies, my wording was incorrect. I'm operating on 2 hrs sleep today.

I agree that this forces the Cardinals hand. I just don't see them upping the offer already on the table.

There are reports that the no trade clause is the main hurdle on the Miami offer. Signing Bell for 3 years, Reyes not having no trade protection, my guess is Miami is attempting to win now, and in a few years, dump the team.

Yep, sounds like the Marlins.

The more I see this gesturing from the Marlins, the more I (as a Cardinals fan) almost want Pujols to go to them. If he does and the Marlins burn down in a glorious flame, it'll almost be more satisfying than having Pujols with us for the rest of his career. That, and it'll be hard for me to care about him anymore knowing that he's giving up what could be eternal glory with the Cardinals. I'm not making comparisons between him and Stan, but he'd be remembered in a very similar way forever in the history of baseball if he stays with the Cardinals for his entire career, regardless of his performance from here onward.

I get the feeling we'll here a decision about Pujols within a week or so. I can't imagine there are too many more offers that aren't on the table, and I suspect he wants to decide sooner than later so his family can move on with their potentially new lives.

There are reports that the no trade clause is the main hurdle on the Miami offer. Signing Bell for 3 years, Reyes not having no trade protection, my guess is Miami is attempting to win now, and in a few years, dump the team.

Yep, sounds like the Marlins.

Or they are taking huge risks hoping to fill a stadium and if that doesn't work they won't end up in a bad situation with several players they can't pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom