• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
So what's going to happen after the Marlins sign all these players, and the SEC siezes Loria & the Marlins' assets?

BFIB

If Pujols ends up resigning with St. Louis, would he still have his 10 and 5 rights? Or since he actually filed for free agency, that is null and he starts over?

If Pujols ends up resigning with St. Louis, would he still have his 10 and 5 rights? Or since he actually filed for free agency, that is null and he starts over?

10/5 is in effect. Chipper Jones doesn't have a no-trade clause, but he has 10/5 protection from being traded.

Sandy, how is it possible that the Marlins can afford to sign Reyes, Bell and make such an incredible offer to Pujols?

AldersonVampires.png

Reports are coming out that the Marlins offer to Pujols was a 10-year, $218 million deal.

The Cubs also made some kind of offer to Pujols last night.

I'm not ready for a world in which the most potentially powerful baseball and basketball teams are located in a city/state that has irrelevant fans that only watch football anyway. :(

Besides, Pujols should become a Cub for maximum trollworthiness.

eznark

Banned
I'm not ready for a world in which the most potentially powerful baseball and basketball teams are located in a city/state that has irrelevant fans that only watch football anyway. :(

Besides, Pujols should become a Cub for maximum trollworthiness.

Yeah, it would really suck when the 2012 Marlins roll through the league like the 2011 Red Sox. Can the world handle back-to-back Greatest Team Ever?

Jon

Lil' Kenny said:
Source: Loria pushing #Marlins' interest in Wilson, not ruling out signing Wilson AND Pujols. #MLB

Have the Marlins been hoarding money, waiting for a year like this? Then going completely for broke?

3rdman

Have the Marlins been hoarding money, waiting for a year like this? Then going completely for broke?
New stadium + really smart front office + super sweet deal with the city = $

I've never been much of a fan of Luria's but the general manager and president of operations know what they are doing. It's also doubtful that they'd mortgage the future as they've never done that...this off-season has been long planned. True to their word, they promised to open the wallet once they had their own stadium...well, here they are.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
yeah as has been said he would get no trade rights after 5 years because of 10/5. Looks like he is asking for a nt for the first 5 years of the deal to have a nt through the 10 years.

Anyway, with inflation and increase in FA money in 10 years, 10/200 isn't that bad of a deal if he is godly through the first half of the deal. Those last few years won't be pretty but maybe overall in terms of overall money per win etc.. the contract will be worth it. And there is also of course benefits other than performance like marketing, attendance boost etc.. which are probably more important to a team like the marlins than say the Yankees.

I honestly think the Reyes and Bell deals might be worse. I still wouldn't want to give 10 years to any player though, especially a 1st Baseman.

I honestly think the marlins owner will sell the team in a few years though, they won't be able to resign the rest of their team when they hit FA with these contracts (even with the new stadium i dont think miami is a big enough market, tv or attendance wise to hand out contracts for reyes/pujols etc, right now i think they can pull it off but in 5 years when the new stadium is no longer new...i'd say miami is right in the middle in terms of market size, similar to atlanta). They don't have the farm system, at the moment at least, to really sustain losing players either.

A source told ESPN Deportes that Hanley told the Marlins that he is not playing 3B.

Also, Mets are a finalist for Mark Buerhle woohoo lol

Fatalah

A source told ESPN Deportes that Hanley told the Marlins that he is not playing 3B.

Good thing Marlins management asked their best player if he was willing to move positions before signing another SS.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

it seems like every NL East team is a finalist for everyone of the big FAs. Well except the Braves of course.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Boston won the posting for SS Nakajima, apparently.

Sanjuro getting more of that sweet, sweet Nippon loving.

Boston did NOT win the posting on Nakajima, according to Gordon Edes they didn't think much of him and didn't post on him at all.

Good news for Red Sox fans though, they resigned Andrew Miller. I wonder how terrible you have to be to pitch yourself out of baseball for good.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
So torn on this. On the one hand, I have no rooting interest here and it would certainly be entertaining to see Pujols head down to Miami. On the other hand, I like the idea of a player staying with his team for his entire career. Especially a player of Pujols' caliber.

Whatever, either way this will be entertaining. Sorry Cards & Fish fan.

Sounds like the Marlins are unwilling to budge on a NTC? If Pujols leaves over a couple million a year, I'm going to be disappointed with both the Cards and Pujols.

Fenix

So torn on this. On the one hand, I have no rooting interest here and it would certainly be entertaining to see Pujols head down to Miami. On the other hand, I like the idea of a player staying with his team for his entire career. Especially a player of Pujols' caliber.

Whatever, either way this will be entertaining. Sorry Cards & Fish fan.
Pretty much how I feel.

Also, starting to come around on the Molina trade, may have been getting overhyped. Still hope he turns out to be a food major leaguer.

Sanjuro

I still don't get any of this. The Marlins put this product together and win a World Series...who is their demographic? Puerto Rico?

legend166

MLB-GAF, how much am I looking at paying for a couple of Red Sox tickets to a game against the Nationals on a Saturday in June?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom