• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFIB

Sucks that in a market where the Yankees and Red Sox don't participate, the fucking Marlins of all teams drive up Albert's price tag. As long as he still gives us a couple more great years, I'm okay with it. The team has already given me more championships in the past few years than fans of other teams have gotten in their lifetimes (lmao Cubs).

Making Pujols a Cardinal for life is worth more to me than competing in 2021. Especially if we're still a contender while he still has some left in the tank.

Not me. I want to see the Cardinals continue winning World Series. We have a decent window over the next few years, but I hate paying Pujols for what he's apparently done, instead of what he's going to do. Nothing about this contract helps the team in the long run.

Tom Verducci is reporting the Marlins made a 6-year offer to C.J. Wilson.

Uh.gif

bryehn

Damnit Blue Jays make some more moves! I've been siting here in my new gear for 2 days in anticipation. Looks like Prince is off the table for them, but there must be at least one solid veteran bat. Plus, trade Rasmus for something!

David Ortiz is officially accepting arbitration from the Red Sox. He made $12.5 million in 2011. He could see a salary of $14 million in 2012.

Not me. I want to see the Cardinals continue winning World Series. We have a decent window over the next few years, but I hate paying Pujols for what he's apparently done, instead of what he's going to do. Nothing about this contract helps the team in the long run.
Hypothetically speaking, who would you want the Cards to sign if Albert walks? Reyes is off the table, so it's basically Fielder or Rollins unless you want to sink even more money into the rotation (I seriously doubt we can move Lohse/Westbrook without eating lots of $$$).

I'm not saying we should say to hell with it and give him a $300 million deal. But I feel like overpaying Pujols by a bit is probably worth it more than overpaying for a guy like Rollins. I guess we could always go with a lower payroll this coming season and hope to make a splash next offseason but that feels like punting a season.

You also know that even if Pujols signs with the Cards at a reasonable contract, the odds of us repeating or even winning another WS in the next few years are not good, right?

Damnit Blue Jays make some more moves! I've been siting here in my new gear for 2 days in anticipation. Looks like Prince is off the table for them, but there must be at least one solid veteran bat. Plus, trade Rasmus for something!

Rumor is Kelly Johnson is staying.

Yeah?

Other then that, Jays have said they aren't breaking the bank open to pay for the big guys.

BFIB

I think our chances improve actually. We should have stronger stability in the rotation with Wainwright returning. The bullpen needs a few patches filled, but with Lynn, Scrabble, Motte,McClellan and Boggs returning, our 'pen should be strong.

With Craig emerging and fighting for playing time (well, once he returns from surgery), and Holiday returning healthy, even minus Pujols, its a good lineup. Pujols does make it better, but its not like the Cardinals won't have another shot at the postseason if Pujols would walk.

Obviously we don't know the details of what is actually going on in these negotiations. I remember last year around this time, it was 10/300 being thrown around by reporters. Maybe Pujols is taking the offer from the Marlins to up his AAV, but is willing to defer some of the later contract out. Or take less years. Until I see the concrete proof and what the numbers are, its hard to speculate. I think there's enough proof though for a 10 year deal being in the works.

eznark

Banned
KRod supposedly back to leaning towards accepting arbitration. That would pretty much cripple the Brewers this year.

Doytch

Back to the NHL thread with you.

I think our chances improve actually. We should have stronger stability in the rotation with Wainwright returning. The bullpen needs a few patches filled, but with Lynn, Scrabble, Motte,McClellan and Boggs returning, our 'pen should be strong.

With Craig emerging and fighting for playing time (well, once he returns from surgery), and Holiday returning healthy, even minus Pujols, its a good lineup. Pujols does make it better, but its not like the Cardinals won't have another shot at the postseason if Pujols would walk.

Obviously we don't know the details of what is actually going on in these negotiations. I remember last year around this time, it was 10/300 being thrown around by reporters. Maybe Pujols is taking the offer from the Marlins to up his AAV, but is willing to defer some of the later contract out. Or take less years. Until I see the concrete proof and what the numbers are, its hard to speculate. I think there's enough proof though for a 10 year deal being in the works.

You almost never know what you're getting with a bullpen going into a season and you can't assume Wainwright/Carp are going to remain healthy without some sort of innings limit
I guess you could say that about any pitcher but a guy coming off surgery and a guy in his mid-30s who threw a ton of innings are probably at risk candidates
. Who knows if Jay can cut it in a full time gig or if Freese can stay healthy. Berkman is sure to regress after a career year. The only short term upside to Pujols walking is that we'd upgrade that SS position but I'm not a fan of Rollins.

We most definitely have no idea what's going on at the negotiation tables. It's all a media ploy to throw as much shit on the wall, see what sticks, and hope to be the first one to break the story. FWIW:

St. Louis presented a new offer to Pujols’ agent, Dan Lozano, on Tuesday. That offer reportedly reached 10 years, but a Major League source indicated that a deal of that length was never presented by the Cardinals.
http://mlb.mlblogs.com/2011/12/07/cards-may-have-clearer-line-on-pujols/

The Mets are not looking to trade Ike Davis, the New York Post’s Joel Sherman said on Twitter. That was a mistake. Instead, he says they’re shopping Jon Niese.

SNY’s Kevin Burkhardt says a reliable baseball source has told him ‘Davis isn’t going anywhere.’

According to Sherman’s sources, the Mets are looking to bring back a competent starting pitcher, plus a young position player, who could rise to the big leagues at around the same time as Matt Harvey, Zach Wheeler and Jeruys Familia.

Sherman believes Sandy Alderson is approaching teams that have expressed interest in A’s RHP Gio Gonzlaez, but then ask for slightly less.

Jose Reyes should move to third, I love all this bullshit drama about positions. Marlins should trade for Michael Young to take things to another level.

Buster Olney is reporting Hanley's agent called the Marlins and asked to restructure his contract if he's moving to third base. Marlins got pissed at this and are now trying to trade him.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

This seems to be the sentiment of a lot of Jays fans. Make a trade or signing for the sake of it. :S

They should have saw this coming, Hanley has a big ego and they thought it was a good idea to bring in a player who is not as good and want to pay him several million more and force Hanley to change positions.

Marlins have moved on from Pujols, although their offer is still on the table. But they believe he will re-sign with the Cardinals.

The Marlins have a six-year offer on the table for C.J. Wilson and a four-year offer on the table for Mark Buerhle. They will sign whoever says yes first.

If they can trade Hanley and get rid of the $48 million he's owed the next three seasons, they'll use that money to go after Prince Fielder.

Nolan Ryan told Jon Morosi that he does not expect Wilson to return to the Rangers and they are not in on Buerhle.

BFIB

Can we just put a huge circus tent over that new awesome Marlins ballpark already!?

The Marlins are stating they are wanting to move Ramirez because they are hoping to get more money to afford Fielder.

So.....they offered Pujols 200 plus million, but need to move Ramirez to afford Fielder?

Doytch

Can we just put a huge circus tent over that new awesome Marlins ballpark already!?

The Marlins are stating they are wanting to move Ramirez because they are hoping to get more money to afford Fielder.

So.....they offered Pujols 200 plus million, but need to move Ramirez to afford Fielder?
'parently they want to sign Wilson/Buehrle, trade Hanley and sign Fielder.

/boggle

ZeroRay

$300 million contract

Vyrance

If they don't get Pujols, I assume they want to get all 3 of Wilson, Buerhle, and Fielder

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
You're the kind of Jays fan that DJF hates.

Marlins President David Samson said Buster Olney was full of shit. He said Hanley nor his agent have not mentioned wanting any more money at all. They are not trading Hanley and he is a critical part of 2012.

That report never made any sense anyways. They clearly have enough money to get Fielder without having to trade Hanley. Fielder will probably come a little bit cheaper than Pujols. He'll get Adrian/Teixeira money.

Fredi Gonzalez and Ozzie Guillen are doing their media meetings right now. I think there's a slight disparity in interest...

Fredi:
466858684.jpg

Ozzie:
466859253.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom