• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
I think if the deals are close he will go back to the cardinals.

One would hope. Either way I hope it's done today so that the interesting signings can happen. Seems like everyone is waiting on Pujols so that the Marlins other plans can play out.

clemenx

Banned
Wow, that's pretty stupid by the Cards. I didn't expect them to get into the bidding war like that. I would have left the Marlins (or the mystery teams) take that albatross.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Shit hits the fan 7 years from now you deal with it then.

Shit hits the fan a lot earlier when Albert Pujols is leading the Miami Marlins to multiple WS victory while you finish in 3rd place year after year.

Not saying its the right mindset but obviously losing a legend, a guy who is one of the most iconic players not only in your franchise's history but in baseball history, to the biggest fair weather city of all in Miami is really embarrassing. And it only gets worse if he actually manages to turn it around in Miami while you're wallowing in mediocrity.

eznark

Banned
Shit hits the fan 7 years from now you deal with it then.

Shit hits the fan a lot earlier when Albert Pujols is leading the Miami Marlins to multiple WS victory while you finish in 3rd place year after year.

Not saying its the right mindset but obviously losing a legend, a guy who is one of the most iconic players not only in your franchise's history but in baseball history, to the biggest fair weather city of all in Miami is really embarrassing. And it only gets worse if he actually manages to turn it around in Miami while you're wallowing in mediocrity.

If I am the Marlins, I give Pujols absolutely anything I can to get him to Miami. He becomes transcendental. A Latino icon in a Latino city who is dedicated to charitable contributions and has a spotless personal life (he totally rapes kids, but he seems to hide it well) can seriously turn the Marlins into the darlings of South Florida. Instead of the petulant shit heads they've been known for, they could have a beloved baseball statesman. It won't matter a shit if he has a down few years if he can transform the teams image.

I look at it as a Reggie White moment for Miami. One signing could quite literally propel the Marlins to decades of relevance long after Pujols is gone.

Or it could just be another bad signing. Either way, get the fuck out of the Central!

Jon

There is a rumor that the Phillies are considering trading Dom Brown to Oakland for Gio Gonzalez.

While I think this is absurd, I think what he's trying to do is get Gonzalez, then package him with Worley and a prospect to get Hanley from Florida.

Jangocube

Banned
I'd love Pujols to sign with that "mystery team" and that team to be some random shit like Baltimore. I'd never, ever stop laughing.

And I'd never, ever stop grinning.

We have Mark Reynolds/Chris Davis combo at 1st/3rd though now, so we don't need that Pujols fella.

Well yeah, your shitty posts pace should go down given the lack of "skittles oh mah gawd" opportunities.
Oh no, I hear Torres is real gritty and tough. I predict an increase in "gritty. Gritty. GRITTY! bah gawd grits!" posts with a possible Quaker Grits photoshop. JUST FOR YOU.

What do you think, GAF? Quaker Instant Grits or Old-Fashioned?

eznark

Banned
Oh no, I hear Torres is real gritty and tough. I predict an increase in "gritty. Gritty. GRITTY! bah gawd grits!" posts with a possible Quaker Grits photoshop. JUST FOR YOU.

What do you think, GAF? Quaker Instant Grits or Old-Fashioned?

I think I am surprised you can afford crack and internet access

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, lost in all this Pujols talk is that the Yankees are shopping A.J. Burnett, and they're willing to cover $8 million on his remaining salary! I assume teams will be falling all over themsevles to make this deal.

BFIB

I want to see the headline that Pujols has signed with Miami.

I really, really don't want to see the Cardinals handicapped w/ that contract for the next decade.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I really, really don't want to see the Cardinals handicapped w/ that contract for the next decade.
The Cards shouldn't have bid against themselves for Matt Holliday. Then it wouldn't be such an issue. They got Boras'd.

Rich Harden is getting more looks than Burnett at this point.
I'd like the Twins to take a flyer on Harden or Bedard or both, honestly. I'd much prefer that to signing an aging, mediocre innings eater which is what they will do.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Marlins press conference at 12:15 is the Reyes introduction after all. That's boring. Unless Hanley crashes the party and tries to assault Reyes for stealing his position.

I think I am surprised you can afford crack and internet access
I'm surprised Buckethead got banned and not you. Life is a mystery...
Marlins press conference at 12:15 is the Reyes introduction after all. That's boring. Unless Hanley crashes the party and tries to assault Reyes for stealing his position.
I heard Ozzie was willing to give Hanley his position back in a private meeting but Hanley loafed over there and missed it by an hour.

Malo

Banned
Guys, lost in all this Pujols talk is that the Yankees are shopping A.J. Burnett, and they're willing to cover $8 million on his remaining salary! I assume teams will be falling all over themsevles to make this deal.
I assume they would have to get another starter before trying to move him and they would have to eat at least $20 million of his contract to make a trade work.

Malo

Banned
Yankees won the bid on Hiroyuki Nakajima

... Why

]

Writer from NY Daily News wants a trade of Montero for Gio Gonzalez.
I believe it was Jon Harper and I don't agree with him. While Gio does have great stuff, he's always had issues with walking people as seen by his career BB/9 over four. I'd give up Betances and Romine for him, but that most likely won't get it done.

BFIB

I spent two hours calibrating my new TV a few weeks ago. Glad I did, seeing the Reyes press conference w/ that Jersey, its a good test barometer to see if I did it correctly.

verbum

I'm getting the feeling the front office of the Braves feels we can contend with current personnel. Every trade rumor gets shot down.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member

... Why
I assume this was all an elaborate ruse starting last year. Nick Swisher intentionally broke Tsuyoshi Nishioka's leg in April, ensuring he was terrible if he played at all in 2011. This made everyone even more skeptical of Japanese infielders, depressing the market so they could get a good player on the cheap.

eznark

Banned

... Why

Probably because no one else bid much on him. Yankess probably put in a token bid and are now like "fuck...oh well, guess we can check the couch cushions for that pittance." It's not as if they need to sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom