• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ken Rosenthal:

Marlins and Mark Buerhle have agreed on a 4-year, $58 million deal pending a physical.

That's now $191 million the Marlins have spent on Heath Bell ($27 million), Jose Reyes ($106 million), and now Buerhle ($58 million).

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
@Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal
Buerhle to #Marlins: 4 yrs, $58M. #MLB

Bullshit? Reality? I can't tell anymore.

hemtae

Ken Rosenthal:

Marlins and Mark Buerhle have agreed on a 4-year, $58 million deal pending a physical.

That's now $191 million the Marlins have spent on Heath Bell ($27 million), Jose Reyes ($106 million), and now Buerhle ($58 million).

I still had some hope that the Red Sox would try and sign him. Darn.

CygnusXS

Marlins are STILL in on Pujols and talking to Fielder. Holy fuck.
WrTxX.jpg

Fredi Gonzalez said he didn't leave his house for an entire month after the Braves collapse. He said he felt like he let the fans and others down and couldn't force himself to watch any of the playoffs.

ESPN has got it different with Pujols..They are saying now on ESPN SC that most likely hes gonna sign with the Cards

Marlins offer to Pujols is still on the table, but they've told him they are not increasing it and that it's final.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Ken Rosenthal:

Unbelievable

CygnusXS

@Jon_Heyman Jon Heyman
Guess what? I'm told marlins still trying for wilson even after landing buehrle (and reyes and bell). Talking to prince too

Jim Duquette:

Phillies and Jimmy Rollins have agreed to terms. Years and money not known yet.

Jon Heyman:

Marlins STILL in on C.J. Wilson and Prince Fielder.

Windu

Fredi Gonzalez said he didn't leave his house for an entire month after the Braves collapse. He said he felt like he let the fans and others down and couldn't force himself to watch any of the playoffs.

Marlins offer to Pujols is still on the table, but they've told him they are not increasing it and that it's final.
he shouldn't beat himself up, it was really the players fault. Even though I hate him I have to admit in the grand scheme of things managers don't have that big of an impact.

he shouldn't beat himself up, it was really the players fault. Even though I hate him I have to admit in the grand scheme of things managers don't have that big of an impact.

Heyward's dropped weight from 258 to 235. You'd think people would learn from Francoeur's 2008 crash and burn after getting muscled out...

BFIB

If I'm Mozaelik, I'm walking straight down to the main hall, walking right up to Boras in front of every reporter, and telling Boras that I want a sit-down to discuss Fielder. Its clear the Marlins can't justify Pujols now, time to put some pressure back on the other side of things.

Windu

Heyward's dropped weight from 258 to 235. You'd think people would learn from Francoeur's 2008 crash and burn after getting muscled out...
I dont think added muscle affected him, the shoulder was the main thing. Fucked up his swing and those things are hard to fix in season.

And francoeur just sucked.

Jangocube

Banned
Ken Rosenthal:

That's going to be a lot of injured money in the next couple of years.

If I'm Mozaelik, I'm walking straight down to the main hall, walking right up to Boras in front of every reporter, and telling Boras that I want a sit-down to discuss Fielder. Its clear the Marlins can't justify Pujols now, time to put some pressure back on the other side of things.
That could entice other teams to jump in though. But I like the cut of your jib.

newjeruse

I have a hard time seeing Buehrle not age gracefully. I think at the worst he's a league-average pitcher by the 4th season. But he's been remarkably consistent.

Anyone have the link to the Dominican league stream? Kazmir is making his debut tonight!
Lidom.com.do all game streams on the right where all the games for today are listed. Since there's an hour difference games start at 6 instead at 7 as listed. No daylight savings down there.

newjeruse

I like how no one's even talking about Pujols anymore and he still hasn't signed.
Pujols entered the market at a really bad time. There's like one team in the top 10 payrolls in baseball bidding for his services. It'll cost him tens of millions of dollar in the end, not that it matters.

newjeruse

So the Marlins backloaded the shit out of Reyes's contract... Wonder if they did the same for Buerhle?

Remember when they signed Carlos Delgado to a 4 year/52 million dollar contract? They paid him 4 million dollars the first year, the only year he was with the team.

Maxim726X

Remember when they signed Carlos Delgado to a 4 year/52 million dollar contract? They paid him 4 million dollars the first year, the only year he was with the team.

Yep that's why I bring it up.

I guess it's no great surprise, given Loria's history... But he's going to have a hard time trading a guy making 22 million dollars on the wrong side of 30.

Where the fuck are they getting all this money? This is such bullshit.

They've been making shit tons of money since 2006 thanks to revenue sharing. Remember that report that came out a few years ago about how much cash the Marlins and Pirates were making with such little payrolls?

Although Loria has always said as soon as they got a new stadium, they were going to open the bank account.

As for the Pirates, who knows.

New development in the Pujols talks from Olney:

It seems the Cardinals have refused to go to 10 years with him. The reported $220 million deal on the table is only for 9 years. Marlins offer is the only one worth 10 years. Also, it may be worth more in the long run since Florida has no state income tax.

Maxim726X

New development in the Pujols talks:

It seems the Cardinals have refused to go to 10 years with him. The reported $220 million deal on the table is only for 9 years. Marlins offer is the only one worth 10 years. Also, it may be worth more in the long run since Florida has no state income tax.

It's most certainly worth a lot more.

But then again he'd be in a terrible market. Don't know how that skews things, if it does at all.

Jerry Crasnick says Pujols' agent Dan Lozano has called the Marlins to inform them they are no longer being considered for Pujols' services.

Crasnick clarifies that Pujols is still negotiating with teams other than the Cardinals, but the Marlins are definitely not being considered anymore.

Time for Loria to get a complex over this and go hard for Prince Fielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom