• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macattk15

I will KILL myself if the Angels sign Pujols. If they do sign him, the M's HAVE to sign Fielder. Otherwise kiss being competitive in the near future goodbye.

Astros apparently hired Jeff Luhnow for their GM position. He did a pretty swell job turning around the Cards farm system so it's a shame to see him go. Luckily the Astros are moving out of the NL Central so I can wish him the best of luck.

Fatalah

I will KILL myself if the Angels sign Pujols. If they do sign him, the M's HAVE to sign Fielder. Otherwise kiss being competitive in the near future goodbye.

It's so sad how the Mariner's have been pretty much irrelevant since 2000. Ichiro never played on a winning team -- it's just not right.

I'm not trying to hear about Yu Darvish, the game we watched of him he sucked.

You know who was the real star in that game we watched a few months ago? Micah Hoffpauir, or as I called him ... HOFF-POWAHHH!!!

I think if the fans behind me started doing this I might crawl under the tarp or something. I mean I like the enthusiasm, but jeez...

144884_Japan_Baseball_Swine_Flu.jpg

... what de heyl?

I'm not trying to hear about Yu Darvish, the game we watched of him he sucked.

You know who was the real star in that game we watched a few months ago? Micah Hoffpauir, or as I called him ... HOFF-POWAHHH!!!

I think if the fans behind me started doing this I might crawl under the tarp or something. I mean I like the enthusiasm, but jeez...

Don't you want to see Darvish walk out to "Who let the Dogs out?" Can't wait to see the numbers he posts in AAA.

This. I can't fathom Pujols being in the AL West. We'd be screwed.

EDIT: But for the record I think the M's have to sign Fielder this year regardless.

Unless he changes his mind overnight, C.J. Wilson is expected to agree to a 5-year deal from the Angels tomorrow morning in a deal worth around $75-$80 million. The Marlins had a 6-year offer on the table worth at least $80 million, but Wilson preferred to play in his hometown and remain in the familiarity of the AL West.

After failing to acquire Wilson and Albert Pujols, the Marlins are expected to go incredibly hard after Prince Fielder now.

They need to go hard for Cespedes too. And look to trade for Michael Young so every one in the infield can throw a hissy fit about their positions.

Brinbe

jaysfanswantfielder.com

Dear Rogers,

We are petitioning as passionate and loyal fans of the Toronto Blue Jays, a team that you own. We are also consumers of your Rogers services. Baseball fans know that this off-season brings about an opportunity where a team can sign an impact player to immediately improve the team’s competitiveness, and thus, its chances in the post-season. This player is Prince Fielder.

However, like any other open market, many teams can bid for Fielder’s services. More than likely, the team that offers him the best deal will win. While we are loyal fans of the Jays, and very likely will continue to support the Jays for years to come, our commitment is conditional when it comes to the accounts we own with Rogers.

We are ready and prepared to cancel our accounts, and bring our business elsewhere, if Rogers is unwilling to provide the Blue Jays necessary funds to sign Fielder. As Jays fans, we have not seen a meaningful Jays game in September since 1993. We remember what it was like to have hope in the team’s chances to win the pennant. The current Jays team has piqued our interest again with their heart and hustle, and us fans believe they are one impact player away from being annual contenders once again.

If Fielder is a Jay, we are ready to remain as Rogers customers, and will make sure we give the Jays the best home field advantage at Skydome Rogers Center. The choice is yours.

Sincerely,

Devoted Blue Jays Fans

Funny how everything went down.

K-Rod and the Padres were very close to a two-year deal worth about $20 million, but it fell apart this morning. K-Rod wanted a full no-trade clause. Padres said no.

Padres officially killed it by acquiring Huston Street from the Rockies today.

The Brewers had a deal with LaTroy Hawkins in place, but Hawkins got sick of waiting for the K-Rod decision, so he agreed with the Angels instead.

K-Rod ends up being only one of three players to accept arbitration (along with David Ortiz and Kelly Johnson). Boras clients usually never accept arbitration, so the market had to be incredibly weak.

The Brewers are now going to pay about $14-$15 million for K-Rod to pitch the 8th inning. Now they are definitely out of the Prince Fielder discussion and more than likely out of the Aramis Ramirez discussion as well.

There's no way a team will acquire K-Rod and pay him $15 million without the Brewers eating some of it. Well, maybe Boston will...

Nicely done, K-Rod!

Doytch

Cool, we get Kelly Johnson. Don't mind this, the picks would've been nice, but we did get the best 2B on the market for cheap. Seriously wonder why he accepted arb still.

eznark

Banned
Wow K-Rod's a dick.

No he isn't. He's smart. He took a look at the market for closers and decided the arb offer was a better bet.

In the end, this will probably make him more money than testing free agency. It also isn't quite as crippling to the Brewers as I initially thought, though still...fuck you Melvin. The Brewers can still trade him (it's unlikely he'll get a big bump from $13.5m he was making last year) or release him (if they do that they supposedly will owe him around $2m, not hateful).

That said, the Brewers don't have a fucking shortstop, third basemen or first basemen. They have about $15m in total left to spend.

We. Are. Fucked.

Maxim726X

No he isn't. He's smart. He took a look at the market for closers and decided the arb offer was a better bet.

In the end, this will probably make him more money than testing free agency. It also isn't quite as crippling to the Brewers as I initially thought, though still...fuck you Melvin. The Brewers can still trade him (it's unlikely he'll get a big bump from $13.5m he was making last year) or release him (if they do that they supposedly will owe him around $2m, not hateful).

That said, the Brewers don't have a fucking shortstop, third basemen or first basemen. They have about $15m in total left to spend.

We. Are. Fucked.

Oh they're only on the hook for 2 million if he gets cut? Well, that decision is an easy one now.

eznark

Banned
Oh they're only on the hook for 2 million if he gets cut? Well, that decision is an easy one now.

That's the number floating around on twitter. Zero idea if it is real. Even if it is real, if the Brewers don't sign anyone else I assume they will just keep KRod and trade him at the dead line.

I fully expect Marcum to get dealt now. I pray he gets dealt now. I can't handle 100 losses, which is what this team feels like. We'll have the second best 8th/9th inning guys in the game and they will only get to pitch once a week.

That's the number floating around on twitter. Zero idea if it is real. Even if it is real, if the Brewers don't sign anyone else I assume they will just keep KRod and trade him at the dead line.

I fully expect Marcum to get dealt now. I pray he gets dealt now. I can't handle 100 losses, which is what this team feels like. We'll have the second best 8th/9th inning guys in the game and they will only get to pitch once a week.

There's no way the Brewers will be a 100 loss team. No way. I could see a .500 downside, but it's not like the division is packed with powerhouses ready to rip the Crew limb from limb.

eznark

Banned
There's no way the Brewers will be a 100 loss team. No way. I could see a .500 downside, but it's not like the division is packed with powerhouses ready to rip the Crew limb from limb.

Lineup as currently constructed:

Carlos Gomez
Jonathan Lucroy
Ryan Braun
Rickie Weeks
Corey Hart
Matt Gamel
Casey McGehee
Yuni Betancourt
Pitcher

Lineup as currently constructed:

Carlos Gomez
Jonathan Lucroy
Ryan Braun
Rickie Weeks
Corey Hart
Matt Gamel
Casey McGehee
Yuni Betancourt
Pitcher

Not a championship lineup, but not a 100 loss one either, especially with the pitching they still have. Also, don't forget about Plush, or underrate Lucroy.

Doytch

Fielder: teams don't want to go to seven on him; brewers not out of it.

I kinda want him for six...but someones gonna go seven, it's just how it works.

Meohsix

The Angels are the bridesmaid no more. Albert Pujols will sign with the Angels for ten years and $250-260MM, tweets Yahoo's Tim Brown. He'll receive a full no-trade clause. Pujols decided this morning, writes Brown.
wow

eznark

Banned
Not a championship lineup, but not a 100 loss one either, especially with the pitching they still have. Also, don't forget about Plush, or underrate Lucroy.

I am the last person to underrate Lucroy (love that guy!), but I think that teams pushes beyond 90 losses. Yes the pitching is good, but in general struggled within the division...where it turns out they play a lot of their games :(

I'm probably being overly pessimistic but if McGehee plays like he did last year, this team will struggle to average 3 runs a night.

HOLY MOTHERFUCKING SHIT HE LEFT!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom