• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if the Rangers have changed their stance on Fielder now. I'm guessing they're upping their posting bid to Yu Darvish as we speak.

The balanced schedule coming back is going to blow!

ZeroRay

Buehrle is better

In terms of attention I mean. Now the Agnels took our "crazy" mantle.

The Behurle signing was the best one this offseason.

I didn't want the team signing Pujols and just pocket that money to go after better free agents later on.

Opiate

That's actually smart. You want more flexibility while Pujols is good so that you can surround him with good talent to make title runs not when he's 45 and sucks.

Like Vernon Wells?

As the bad contracts the Angels have already signed come off the books and give them flexibility to "surround him with good talent", Pujols will be in decline. Pujols is already in decline -- he just hasn't declined enough to fall from "great" status yet.

eznark

Banned
Now, CJ Wilson willvalso sign with the Angels. WTF os going on? Lol

red%2Bsox%2Bbest%2Bteam%2Bin%2Bbaseball%2B2011.jpg

That's actually smart. You want more flexibility while Pujols is good so that you can surround him with good talent to make title runs not when he's 45 and sucks.

I am so happy cashman got away of backloaded deals though, they wreck you near the end. Arod deal gets less and less every year from now on.

BFIB

eznark:

http://101sports.com/

Bernie Miklasz will be on in an hour. He'll offer some great insight to the effects this will have.

As a Cards fan, I'm disappointed in him. He's done nothing but talk about how much he idolizes Stan Musial, and how Stan has taught him to be a better person. Stan Musial made it an effort every year to show up opening day, and take a few hours to sit in a quiet room and talk baseball with Pujols. Pujols also stated after we won in '06, and the ownership group approached him about resigning, declined and said basically "we can work out a deal, anytime. I want to stay here. This is my home." Continued saying that after '07, and '08. I had a feeling that he was wanting to test free agency then. Why push off signing?

Well, now we know why. I think for some reason Pujols felt disrespected by what the Cardinals were doing. He wanted to win. Well, he made it to the postseason in 8 of his 11 years here, won 3 pennants, 2 World Series. Can't really prove that the team "wants to win" more than that. So, I think its evdient, for whatever reason, he did not want to stay as a Cardinal.

But, I'm also relieved we are not going to be paying him 10 years worth of upwards of $22 million a year. We got the best years of Pujols at a relative bargain.

I'm torn on my feelings, but I also need to remember that this isn't my grandfathers baseball. This is what free agency is all about. Congrats to the Angels, you've received one hell of a ballplayer.

clemenx

Banned
I don't think Buehrle is better than Wilson, he's gettting vastly underrated thanks to some playoffs starts.

The Buehrle's contract will probably be a better one, though.

Doytch

God the Angels are so stupid it's sad. Wonder whos gonna get Morales/Trumbo. Wonder what the actual market is like for Trumbo actually. Hugely overrated by the knuckle-draggers, well see what the GMs think.

eznark

Banned
God the Angels are so stupid it's sad. Wonder whos gonna get Morales/Trumbo. Wonder what the actual market is like for Trumbo actually. Hugely overrated by the knuckle-draggers, well see what the GMs think.

Melvin is already trying to trade Greinke and Braun for Trumbo probably

Opiate

Serious question here -- Pujols will likely be worth the money for at least the first year or two. 22-23 Million is about 4-5 WAR and Pujols should clear that easily in 2012 and 2013.

But Pujols is already in decline, and you can confidently project what will happen over time: the annual salary will keep going up, the skills will keep going down.

So the question is, where is the point of intersection, where the Pujols deal goes from a fair deal to a bad one? I'm guessing 2015. Depending on his actual age, it could even be sooner.

eznark

Banned
Serious question here. Pujols will likely be worth the money for at least the first year or two. 22-23 Million is about 4-5 WAR and Pujols should clear that easily in 2012 and 2013.

But Pujols is already in decline, and you can confidently project what will happen over time: the annual salary will keep going up, the skills will keep going down.

So where is the point of intersection, where the Pujols deal goes from a good deal to a bad one? I'm guessing 2015.

It's all relative. The deal doesn't become a "bad deal" until it prevents the Angels from winning baseball games. That's part of the reason the Howard deal looks much less terrible to me today than yesterday. They haven't lost anyone as a result, so where is the harm?

Doytch

Melvin is already trying to trade Greinke and Braun for Trumbo probably

Lolz. I'd actually stay the fuck away from Morales more. Don't trust his health at all, after the weird progression of his healing process last spring.

Perfect timing! New Klaw podcast about the signings just before I go for a run.

Malo

Banned
Serious question here -- Pujols will likely be worth the money for at least the first year or two. 22-23 Million is about 4-5 WAR and Pujols should clear that easily in 2012 and 2013.

So the question is, where is the point of intersection, where the Pujols deal goes from a fair deal to a bad one? I'm guessing 2015. Depending on his actual age and chance, it could even be sooner.
It's a terrible deal. Look at how the A-Rod contract has turned out for the Yankees. At least they front loaded the deal.

cashman

Banned
The rangers have to make a stronger push at fielder now. Atleast the angels gave Pujols a crazy contract , and I don't think he makes that big of a difference for that god awful lineup. Rangers still win the division.

This Pujols deal makes no sense to me. Dude is not going to be worth that money in the later years of that contract. Amazing he found a team willing pay that.

Opiate

It's all relative. The deal doesn't become a "bad deal" until it prevents the Angels from winning baseball games. That's part of the reason the Howard deal looks much less terrible to me today than yesterday. They haven't lost anyone as a result, so where is the harm?

Who has it stopped them from gaining, though? If they had signed Howard to, let's say, a 12 Million / Annum deal, what 13M / Annum player could they have gotten in addition to that?

ToxicAdam

I think the Indians will be in on Trumbo. LaPorta is a bust and our minor league system is spectacularly devoid of raw power (except for Weglarz). I don't think they will spend to high on him though. More apt to go after Carlos Lee in Houston.

Opiate

No one, just like I said?

That isn't what you said. You said they haven't lost anyone. I asked what they could have gained, but didn't. It's entirely possible not to "lose" anything but still not gain things you would have otherwise gained.

My question is one of opportunity cost.

eznark

Banned
But...the contract hasn't even started yet.

Phillies

That isn't what you said. You said they haven't lost anyone. I asked what they haven't gained.

My question is one of opportunity cost.

They just resigned JRo. To me, that means they still have flexibility despite that contract (which is truly awful in a vacuum). That's why I said it looks less awful today than yesterday.

They've got to be thinking he'll be a DH.

That's the only thing that makes sense.

I still can't believe the Angels won the Pujols sweepstakes with that contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom