• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

I think Braun deserves the bashing regardless--he was caught taking a "P.E.D". Manny deserved the bashing, and Ortiz deserved it as well. These people are ruining the game, in my opinion. It's not fair for the other players who are actually playing sans steroids.

That's all I was looking for. Thanks.

BFIB

Cardinals close to a deal with Schumaker.

I'm guessing they will non-tender Theriot/Boggs today. So it'll be Furcal at SS, Schumaker/Descalso at 2B. Unless they pick up Punto again, which could be a possibility.

Still leaves quite a bit of money to spend.

Cardinals close to a deal with Schumaker.

I'm guessing they will non-tender Theriot/Boggs today. So it'll be Furcal at SS, Schumaker/Descalso at 2B. Unless they pick up Punto again, which could be a possibility.

Still leaves quite a bit of money to spend.

I quite like Schumaker, so I'm glad they're getting him. He put up with a lot of shit going from outfield to infield and did a damn good job considering.

FOOTE

I'm really not expecting any "big signings" except for maybe Carlos Beltran. Not all of that money they were willing to throw at Pujols will be used, not even close.

Sanjuro

glad we're on the same page then. :)

We are and we aren't.

People don't care about what substance they took, why they took it, when they took it, etc. They want a name and a allegation. That is it. The media has brainwashed enough people since the Bonds nonsense to White Knight the sacred rules of baseball without hesitation.

Most of those people are the same that would argue why is Rapist #1 going to miss playing time when he didn't violate the sacred rules of baseball. The real world just doesn't apply here.

I don't care what Ryan Braun did to his own body. If he broke his own workplace rules, then sit the fifty games. It's done. I'm not going to sit here to discuss or blame ESPN, shooped abs, MVP trophies, the periodic table, Miller Genuine Draft, Taco Bell, or State Farm Insurance.

The only active comparison I will make between Manny and Braun getting caught is that I'm willing to bet Braun actually gives a shit.

If all the money they were going to throw at Pujols is in fact spent, I'd be pissed. We're not severely in need of filling any position and as such we should sit tight and see what potential trades open up as the season progresses.

BFIB

If all the money they were going to throw at Pujols is in fact spent, I'd be pissed. We're not severely in need of filling any position and as such we should sit tight and see what potential trades open up as the season progresses.

I'm in the same boat as Foote. I think the Cards sign Beltran, or Cuddyer. Re-sign Schumaker/Punto, and roll out w/ that lineup. Obviously, that leaves a lot of doors open for the trade deadline, to take on a lot of salary for a big impact trade. Or next year, when you have a better idea of how Craig projects, and go from there.

threenote

Banned
We are and we aren't.

People don't care about what substance they took, why they took it, when they took it, etc. They want a name and a allegation. That is it. The media has brainwashed enough people since the Bonds nonsense to White Knight the sacred rules of baseball without hesitation.

Most of those people are the same that would argue why is Rapist #1 going to miss playing time when he didn't violate the sacred rules of baseball. The real world just doesn't apply here.

I don't care what Ryan Braun did to his own body. If he broke his own workplace rules, then sit the fifty games. It's done. I'm not going to sit here to discuss or blame ESPN, shooped abs, MVP trophies, the periodic table, Miller Genuine Draft, Taco Bell, or State Farm Insurance.

The only active comparison I will make between Manny and Braun getting caught is that I'm willing to bet Braun actually gives a shit.

I disagree with that perspective obviously. But it's interesting, nevertheless.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Rockies making a push for Cuddyer. Please, please, please push it through to the end! And do it soon so the Twins can pivot and sign Willingham.

Twins outrighted Jim Hoey. Only Brett Jacobson remains from the JJ Hardy trade. *sobs*

I remember Beltran being the Cardinals Killer (...before the last out of the NLCS, of course) with the Mets. It'd be an interesting twist having him with the Cards.

Everyone wants our pitchers. Tired of this, just trade Jemille Weeks for more pitchers. Bad teams are watchable if they have good pitching, billy doesn't realize it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...p-lawyer-insists-client-peds-article-1.990020

Milwaukee Brewers' star outfielder Ryan Braun's original test for performance-enhancing drugs as the playoffs were winding down in October was "insanely high, the highest ever for anyone who has ever taken a test, twice the level of the highest test ever taken," said a source familiar with the developing case in which Ryan was reported to have tested positive for an elevated level of testosterone caused by a synthetic substance, triggering a possible 50-game suspension if the test results are upheld.

I guess that haven't tested Bautista yet. I eagerly await those results.

Diamondbacks and Takashi Saito agree on a one-year deal.

Financials on Mark Buerhle's contract are out. It is extremely backloaded.

2012: $6 million
2013: $11 million
2014: $18 million
2015: $19 million

Also, a $4 million signing bonus deferred without interest.

Marlins reeling in another big name massively paid star:

Free-agent OF Aaron Rowand signs minor-league deal with Marlins.

edit: god dammit AnEternalEnigma is the free agent tracker savant of this damn place.

lol I literally logged on Twitter for the first time today and the Rowand thing was the #1 item

So it'll be Furcal at SS, Schumaker/Descalso at 2B. Unless they pick up Punto again, which could be a possibility.
Kind of a lousy platoon with both of them being LH. I'd prefer Punto/Descalso but I guess Skip's versatility is the reason they want him back. Hope this isn't the excuse for not signing Beltran.

BFIB

Kind of a lousy platoon with both of them being LH. I'd prefer Punto/Descalso but I guess Skip's versatility is the reason they want him back. Hope this isn't the excuse for not signing Beltran.

Agreed. I think then, you'll see a different site to the Cards fanbase, if Pujols' production isn't replaced somewhere.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Twins non-tendered Jose Mijares. I'm guessing another team will sign him and he'll become an extremely effective LOOGY once again.

Sanjuro

There will be a DH in the NL by 2014. My word is my bond.

5DKBn.gif

Get that fucking communist DH shit outta here. Next thing you know MLB will have shorter fences for all ballparks, technicolor baseballs for better visibility, and institute the 7th inning grope.

Sanjuro

Get that fucking communist DH shit outta here. Next thing you know MLB will have shorter fences for all ballparks, technicolor baseballs for better visibility, and institute the 7th inning grope.

Great. Can we then call shorter fences, technicolor baseballs, and grope strategy?

Opiate

Isn't the DH the antithesis of communism? It treats pitchers as different and special, rather than as equals, as is implied by NL rules where everyone is presumably treated the same.

I am not necessarily for or against the DH, but what I am definitely for is a noticeable and substantial distinction between the leagues. That difference does not have to be the DH in particular, but I like the fact that there remains a real difference, rather than in other sports, where the distinction often feels arbitrary or, at best, a historical footnote.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Rays traded for Burke Badenhop. Prime ROOGY material, guy has crazy splits. Revamping the bullpen without spending any money, maybe some other teams that are supposedly strapped for cash should learn something from that.

The owners of the Mets, needing cash and unable to turn to Major League Baseball for more financial help, received a $40 million loan from a major bank in the past six weeks.

The team described the arrangement as a “bridge loan,” meant to aid them as they try to raise money through the sale of minority stakes in the club.

Isn't the DH the antithesis of communism? It treats pitchers as different and special, rather than as equals, as is implied by NL rules where everyone is presumably treated the same.

I am not necessarily for or against the DH, but what I am definitely for is a noticeable and substantial distinction between the leagues. That difference does not have to be the DH in particular, but I like the fact that there remains a real difference, rather than in other sports, where the distinction often feels arbitrary or, at best, a historical footnote.
All the DH was in the 70s was a gimmick. That's what it was, and that's what it still is. The pitcher is an athlete like everyone else, he's not an NFL kicker for God's sake. If he pulls a hammy running from 1st to 2nd or doesn't understand how to run the bases, get him off the fucking field. It's a disgrace to see how pitchers are so far removed from being actual athletes nowadays.

Baseball is too entrenched in romanticism to notice they've been stagnant. Umpires, rule changes, marketing (LOL). They need to change, and the best way is getting RID of the DH; it's completely unnecessary now. Union may bitch and fight, but in the long run they can adjust by adding an extra roster spot.

Contradiction.
Technically no. When interest was waning they knee-jerked and added the DH back then to garner interest. Now that interest is not a problem there should be no issues in changing it back. The romanticism in history is that baseball DOESN'T change. Hell, people argued that blacks shouldn't play in the Majors not that they were black aka racism, but they didn't want the game to change!

Baseball is the most difficult sport to effect change upon.

jman2050

Technically no. When interest was waning they knee-jerked and added the DH back then to garner interest. Now that interest is not a problem there should be no issues in changing it back. The romanticism in history is that baseball DOESN'T change. Hell, people argued that blacks shouldn't play in the Majors not that they were black aka racism, but they didn't want the game to change!

Baseball is the most difficult sport to effect change upon.

How does getting rid of the antiquated and uninteresting "strategy" that comes with having pitchers bat .096 for the season for good not count as effecting change?

Sanjuro

I would say hockey and baseball are on par. Keeping interest of the game is always a problem if you are losing an audience or gaining one. I don't have numbers handy but I would bet that the AL is a better brand of the sport on the fact alone that the networks wanted nothing to do with the NL this prior postseason.

How does getting rid of the antiquated and uninteresting "strategy" that comes with having pitchers bat .096 for the season for good not count as effecting change?
You saw the affect of SUPERIOR NL BASEBALL on an American League team two month ago.

DAT STRATEGY.
I would say hockey and baseball are on par. Keeping interest of the game is always a problem if you are losing an audience or gaining one. I don't have numbers handy but I would bet that the AL is a better brand of the sport on the fact alone that the networks wanted nothing to do with the NL this prior postseason.
Well most of the playoff NL games were kinda boring due to the teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom