• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shit, Pujols already has 2 titles, batting titles, MVPs, Home Run titles, All star selections, Golden Gloves, and if he doesn't get caught using PED's a Hall of Fame induction... what else is there left to get besides money? "Fuck LA, I want to go live in St. Louis and make 20% less money!"

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Shoppach signed a 1 year deal with the Red Sox. Doesn't look like Varitek is going back to Boston now. Really smart move by the Sox, Shoppach has always mashed lefties, perfect backup catcher.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
was rough watching him against righties.........yuck

Yeah he was utterly brutal.

.244/.344/.444 against LHP (career .274/.373/.536)
.115/.192/.239 against RHP (career .201/.286/.360)

He shouldn't be allowed to get 100+ AB's against RHP which was the case last year.

Malo

Banned
The reds signed Andrew Brackman to a major league deal.

I would have liked him back but only if it were on a minor league deal.

bluemax

Banned
Shit, Pujols already has 2 titles, batting titles, MVPs, Home Run titles, All star selections, Golden Gloves, and if he doesn't get caught using PED's a Hall of Fame induction... what else is there left to get besides money? "Fuck LA, I want to go live in St. Louis and make 20% less money!"

But he's playing in Anacrime.

LJ11

The $40 million is meant to assist the organization in getting a larger loan. It will (likely) act as subordinated debt that will (ideally) finance further debt. It's a positive step towards digging themselves out of the hole.

They're not getting out of this hole, at least I hope not. Still can't find a minority partner, SNY is the only thing keeping them afloat, they're in too deep.

CBA changed the game, they can't do what they intended to do, they'll have to hit on a shit load of prospects to field a good product.

Org is fucked as long as the Wilpons are around.

eznark

Banned
They're not getting out of this hole, at least I hope not. Still can't find a minority partner, SNY is the only thing keeping them afloat, they're in too deep.

CBA changed the game, they can't do what they intended to do, they'll have to hit on a shit load of prospects to field a good product.

Org is fucked as long as the Wilpons are around.

Right, I'm just saying that the $40m wasn't meant to pay off their debts, it was meant to help them attract additional money. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it was actually contingent on them using it as invested equity on a larger debt deal.

LJ11

Right, I'm just saying that the $40m wasn't meant to pay off their debts, it was meant to help them attract additional money. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it was actually contingent on them using it as invested equity on a larger debt deal.

Right, but it's a loan to get another loan. They're already over a billion in the hole, two thirds due to Citi. Where's the end? It's a giant sink hole. All ego/legacy, let it crumble as long as we own a team, fans be damned.

eznark

Banned
Right, but it's a loan to get another loan. They're already over a billion in the hole, two thirds due to Citi. Where's the end? It's a giant sink hole. All ego/legacy, let it crumble as long as we own a team, fans be damned.

Eh, it doesn't really take that much to generate significant, debt servicing revenues in baseball. There is no real reason the Mets couldn't turn it around in a couple years, revenue-wise.

Is it smart? I have no idea. I seriously wonder why BoA was willing to make the bet. How much money do the Mets get from taxpayers? You'd think they could file a public records request at some point to see some of these documents.

SNY has the best sports coverage out of all the metro area spots outlets: MSG and YES. I assume that so long as that's profitable for them the Mets can dig a deeper hole for themselves.

Well, there is the whole respect and admiration of the fans part when he starts to decline. Angels fans (or fans of any other team really) aren't going to be as forgiving since they don't have 11 great seasons to look back on. I wonder how much ego and confidence about his future abilities affected his perception of that matter though.

The mystique of a great player spending his entire career with one team is as intangible as it gets but it certainly factors into the overall legacy of that player IMO.

eznark

Banned
Well, there is the whole respect and admiration of the fans part when he starts to decline. Angels fans (or fans of any other team really) aren't going to be as forgiving since they don't have 11 great seasons to look back on. I wonder how much ego and confidence about his future abilities affected his perception of that matter though.

The mystique of a great player spending his entire career with one team is as intangible as it gets but it certainly factors into the overall legacy of that player IMO.

Pujols could get hit by a bus and die tomorrow and be considered one of the all time greats. His legacy isn't an issue. Creating generational wealth? Yes, that is still in the air. Good for him.

As to fans still respecting and admiring him when he starts to decline? I question that. The city turned on him now, why wouldn't they when he is costing them runs?

Pujols could get hit by a bus and die tomorrow and be considered one of the all time greats. His legacy isn't an issue. Creating generational wealth? Yes, that is still in the air. Good for him.

As to fans still respecting and admiring him when he starts to decline? I question that. The city turned on him now, why wouldn't they when he is costing them runs?

What are you talking about? Twins fans still love Joe Mauer...

I'm reading more and more stuff out there that's saying that the Rangers are out on pretty much all the big name free agents out there.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...Matt-Garza-or-other-affordable-starter-121211

What the fuck guys, I thought we finally had some money. If Nathan ends up being our biggest free agent signing, then I'll be extremely disappointed.

But just think the scraps Arizona sent Oakland for a Cy Young calibre talent, imagine what the Rangers could get from Oakland or others. Could get wade davis for moreland and table scraps since joe maddon doesn't have a first baseman. but rangers will still get darvish though, i'm sure of it.

Opiate

As an example of a player who leaves gracefully, I offer Mike Matheny, the Cardinals new manager.

When he left Saint Louis for the Giants, he almost explicitly said, "I love it here in Saint Louis, but the Giants are offering me way more money than I realistically deserve, so I'm going to take advantage of that before my legs go out and I need to retire."

Very few Cardinals fans had a problem with that, for two reasons: first, because he was honest and rational about it, and second, because the total at the time was 4M/year, not 22-25M. While both totals represent huge amounts of resources, people have far less sympathy for the latter, particularly when Pujols has already earned 100M+ in his career.

eznark

Banned
As an example of a player who leaves gracefully, I offer Mike Matheny, the Cardinals new manager.

When he left Saint Louis for the Giants, he almost explicitly said, "I love it here in Saint Louis, but the Giants are offering me way more money than I realistically deserve, so I'm going to take advantage of that before my legs go out and I need to retire."

Very few Cardinals fans had a problem with that, for two reasons: first, because he was honest and rational about it, and second, because the total at the time was 4M/year, not 22-25M. While both totals represent huge amounts of resources, people have far less sympathy for the latter, particularly when Pujols has already earned 100M+ in his career.

I'm sure it helped that in 2004 he was garbage (arguably his worst year as a pro) and a phenom, 22 year old Yadier Molina was waiting in the wings. Surely those had nothing to do with it! (I too love Matheny!)

Your last sentence is so gross to me. He already made his money, so we are entitled to keep him!

Maybe it's because I have seen true asshole liars like Francisco Cordero, who claimed he loved Milwaukee and wouldn't leave for money then a week later left for an extra $2 million over 4 years, but I don't see the problem with Pujols. I certainly won't have a problem with Prince when he leaves. He has said how much he loves Milwaukee and if he could, he'd stay there. Unfortunately it makes no sense for either party. I'm just glad the Brewers don't feel the need to engineer some PR smear campaign against him...at least not yet.

Sanjuro

I already stated before, the media are the only people who are going to want to create a non-story out of this....maybe eznark. I drew the LeBron comparison. LeBron quit on his team in numerous playoff attempts and made the separation awkward as possible.

It's going to be a tough job trying to delude a Saint Louis fan to believe Pujols wronged them in any way possible.

eznark

Banned
I already stated before, the media are the only people who are going to want to create a non-story out of this....maybe eznark. I drew the LeBron comparison. LeBron quit on his team in numerous playoff attempts and made the separation awkward as possible.

It's going to be a tough job trying to delude a Saint Louis fan to believe Pujols wronged them in any way possible.

I'm the one saying it isn't a big deal and he did what was right! St. Louis fans are the ones supposedly having jersey burning parties.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
It's probably not money, but years.

Does any team want to sign him to a three year deal at the age of 33?
I'd be fine with the Twins going 3 years on him if it's at $6 or 7 million per. I'd rather have Willingham than Cuddyer, and that was before Cuddyer was hemming and hawing about his offer from the Twins. Enjoy Colorado, Cuddles.

ESPN.com said:
'MLB 12: The Show' hands-on preview
December, 13, 2011
By Jon Robinson

Freddy Sanchez just got spiked.

That's right, the Giants second baseman took the flip, touched the bag, but before he could rifle the ball to first and turn two, he was taken down by a hard-sliding Matt Kemp.

Just another chapter in the Dodgers/Giants rivalry, but a great day to be a gamer as Sony has finally added not only player collisions, but collision awareness in "MLB 12: The Show."

Amazing news for anyone who has followed the franchise, as we're not just talking about canned animations at the plate or when a player is breaking up a double play. It's all around the field, complete with all new tag and sliding animations, making gamers feel like the action on the virtual diamond is more real than ever as you will no longer see the random player-through-player ghost-like animations that have plagued the series for years. And since cyber athletes will not only collide, but be aware of the potential collisions, players react in a much more realistic manner, sliding around tags from all angles, dropping the ball more often when going for the sweep tag, and even giving the occasional spike when necessary.

And while that's far from the biggest feature added to this year's game, it's one of those little things that just adds so much to the overall experience as Sony attempts to blur the lines between what's seen on TV and what you're controlling in "MLB 12: The Show." It's an experience that I had the chance to play recently for an afternoon down in Sony's San Diego studio, and I have to say, I was blown away by how those lines are now more blurred than ever.

"MLB 12's" new ball physics will increase the variety of hits you'll see in the game.
One of the biggest improvements "Show" fans will notice right away is the improved ball physics. In past games, there wasn't the amount of hit variety you'd expect from a baseball simulation, and that had to do mainly with the fact that the game's math was off. So this offseason, one of the more hardcore members of "The Show's" engineering team took up the challenge and re-wrote the entire ball physics code based on the actual math for how a spinning object reacts when it strikes everything from the bat to the playing surface to one of the bases. The results? Incredible. The ball speed off the bat has now been increased to MLB levels, while the spin off each hit now comes into play more as you'll see grounders with top spin actually scoot through the infield faster for base hits. I even had one play where I launched a ball 400-feet towards the wall, and the computerized Matt Kemp jumped up to rob the home run, but as he hit the wall, the ball bounced off of his glove and rebounded back onto the field. It was just one of those plays that made everyone in the room shout, with the producers smiling at each other knowing how much a moment like that rocks.

Another big gameplay improvement comes in the form of the new "Pulse Pitching" dynamic. If you're not a fan of last year's analog pitching, you can go back to the old-school buttons, only with a new level of intensity that really helps up the challenge of pinpointing pitches. Basically, after selecting your pitch and location, you'll need to hit X to pitch the ball (same as classic pitching). Only now, there is a giant pulsating X on the screen in the location of your pitch, and you need to time your button press when the X is at its smallest point in order to throw the ball accurately. The more you're off, the bigger the X will be when you throw the ball, making your pitch wild, or even worse, left hanging right over the plate for someone like Albert Pujols to crush over the fence. I was a fan of the analog pitching last year, but I have to say, after about four games of switching back and forth between the analog and the pulse, I ended up playing the rest of the games with the pulse pitching and I don't think I'll go back to the analog once the game ships. It just feels right to me.

But don't think this year is all about the mound as a new way to hit has also been added to the game, even if it's strictly for the hardcore. Sony calls it "Zone Analog Batting," and it combines what gamers loved about the old way to hit with the newer analog approach, as gamers manipulate the right stick to control stride and swing timing, while at the same time using your left stick to control where you swing in the zone. So if you see a slider breaking outside, you'd pull back on the right stick to stride, the push forward on the right stick to swing while moving the left stick to your right in order to make contact with the ball. "The Show's" producers say this is the kind of depth the game's community has been begging for when it comes to hitting, and there is one gameplay designer that swears this is the best way to play if you want a pressure-packed, more realistic turn at the plate, but for me, it was a bit too much to handle and I ended up switching back to pure analog controls without the zone. Maybe I'm just getting old, but man, I had a rough time at the plate trying to adjust using both sticks at once.

Big Ticket Features

And while the gameplay improvements is what will interest "The Show's" hardcore community most, there are a couple of huge new features and technological advancements that will also be of interest to gamers. First and foremost, "MLB 12" will be shipping, not only for the PlayStation 3, but for Sony's new handheld gaming device, the Vita. And the game looks absolutely stunning on the system's eye-popping screen. Everything gamers want in "The Show" is now coming to handheld, complete with Exhibition, Season, Franchise, Road to the Show, and Home Run Derby. You can challenge other gamers online, and even better, you can share save files between your PS3 and Vita games. That means you can start your season at home on your PlayStation 3, play for a couple of weeks, then save your file to the PlayStation cloud, and resume your season on the Vita as you take your game on the road. Sure, that means you need to buy the game for each platform, but for people who commute on the train or are heading out on vacation, this will be an ideal way to stay connected to your favorite franchise. Only downer is the fact that you can't save mid-game on one platform and pick right up on the other. In order to save to the cloud, it needs to be between games, not between innings.

The new "Pulse Pitching" feature is a great way to play the game.
Another feature that Sony is going to be pushing hard this season is the inclusion of full Move support in "The Show." Last year, you could hook up the Move and use its motion controls during the Home Run Derby, but this year you can actually hit, pitch, catch, run, and throw -- making the Move an integral part of your "MLB 12" session, if you have enough room in your house, that is. And the room is important as you're taking full swings with the move while at bat, and the harder you swing, the harder you'll hit the ball. Same goes for pitching, as you actually get in your windup and throw the ball, timing the release of the Move's button in order to release your pitch, with arm speed factoring in to how fast you throw.

To be honest, I thought this was going to be terrible, but I actually had a lot of fun playing through a couple of innings with the motion controls. I hit a home run with my second batter, and I felt way more satisfaction here than I did when I hit a home run minutes earlier using the analog controls. Maybe the Move tricked me into thinking I actually hit the home run, not Brandon Belt, but whatever the case, I started grinning like a Major Leaguer who just went yard. I also had a surprisingly good time pitching, although that definitely had more of a learning curve to it. It also made my elbow hurt after a couple of innings (no joke), so I think I might just stick to batting.

There's just so much added to "MLB 12: The Show," the only way I could do it justice is a breakdown some of the stats:

500+ new presentation animations
300+ new fielding, throwing, and base running animations
150+ new batting stances
75+ new pitching animations
14 new umpires complete with their own personalities
2 new training techniques in Road to the Show (base running, fielding), as you're now a Double-A starter who is the most touted prospect on the team
Add to that the addition of Season and Franchise mode in co-op, new pitcher confidence logic, and franchise improvements that include new contract logic, improved trade logic, and an all new free agent signing process, and you have the baseball game "Show" fans have been waiting for.

But that's not all as the game's producers are working feverishly to make "MLB 12" the best online product the franchise has seen to date (including an all new HR Derby with up to eight players simultaneously swinging), and if the online mess of last year gets smoothed out the way they're hoping, we could have the makings of a classic.

Just remember, if you're playing against me online, please stop spiking Freddy Sanchez. Last thing the Giants need is another injury
Can't wait!

Can't wait!
can-t-wait-o.gif

Oh, no doubt his accomplishments make him an all time great. But in the age of free agency, there's something about a great athlete spending his entire storied career in one place that intrigues me as a fan. That's why I wanted to sign Pujols even if his last few years aren't going to be worth it.

As was said, a lot of the animosity towards him at the moment is due to how hypocritical his comments appear in light of what happened. That said, I think a lot of people read what they want to hear in his comments prior to his free agency. He has said time and again that he wasn't going to give STL a hometown discount.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Was really hoping the Rays would get him but I'm sure the Twins drastically overpaid for him.
We'll see what the numbers come out to, but they were only going to 3 years/$25 million for Michael "Face of the Franchise, Perennial Team MVP" Cuddyer, so I doubt they went even that high for Willingham. I'm hoping for 2 years around $16 million with an option for a 3rd year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom