• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashman

Banned
Braun doesn't really look like a roider, but I guess it doesn't matter. Still, if his head isn't thick, you must acquit. "Twice the highest level" thing seals it. Braun is going to be proven innocent.

On a side note, do you any of you guy have baseball jerseys of teams that aren't your favorite team because you think they look cool? I have wanted the Washington Nationals road jersey for years now. One of these days I'm going to buy it.

6300%20WAS%20R-2T.jpg
I always liked the A's, Braves and Dodgers unis. Blue Jays new jerseys get a spot on my wishlist as well.

Son of a bitch. Who cares about Braun juicing or not, Mauer got engaged this weekend. D:

Time to trade him from my fantasy team....:(

Been out of town this weekend and starting lol on Braun. Poor ez. :) Yeah right im gonna love this..
Did watch The Machine and C.J. put on that new uni

eznark

Banned
Been out of town this weekend and starting lol on Braun. Poor ez. :) Yeah right im gonna love this..
Did watch The Machine and C.J. put on that new uni

I melted down, now I am pragmatic. I firmly believe they should move Braun if he is proven a cheater. It appears to me that this is going to be beyond muddled.

My best guess is that Braun is exonerated amid cloudy circumstances and no one is happy Now they are talking about issues with procedure, chain of custody issues and results so far off the bell curve as to be implausible.

My heart says he was fucked, my head says he is probably a disgusting cheater. The worst part about this is that it's now impossible to follow baseball news. So, if I disappear from the thread it's for that reason. There just isn't anything to be said about Braun til the findings are revealed, but that won't stop ESPN from saying it.

I have a closet full of these.
Why is the M so big?!?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
BBWAA has no plan to strip Braun of MVP

"I got the same question after Ken Caminiti came clean about his steroids usage, and whether we should give the 1996 MVP award instead to Mike Piazza," said Jack O'Connell, longtime BBWAA secretary-treasurer and award administrator. "The answer is no.

"We did not strip Alex Rodriguez of the 2003 MVP when it was learned later he used PEDs while in Texas.

"The voters used the infomation they had at the time of the election. I don't see how we can change that."

I think this is garbage. Unlike the examples he listed MLB actually knew that Braun failed a drug test well before the voting happened, this information shouldn't have been kept in secrecy away from the voters. And even so this isn't nearly the same thing as going back 10 years in the past to change an award, it's still 2011.

I melted down, now I am pragmatic. I firmly believe they should move Braun if he is proven a cheater. It appears to me that this is going to be beyond muddled.

My best guess is that Braun is exonerated amid cloudy circumstances and no one is happy Now they are talking about issues with procedure, chain of custody issues and results so far off the bell curve as to be implausible.

My heart says he was fucked, my head says he is probably a disgusting cheater. The worst part about this is that it's now impossible to follow baseball news. So, if I disappear from the thread it's for that reason. There just isn't anything to be said about Braun til the findings are revealed, but that won't stop ESPN from saying it.

Why is the M so big?!?

stop it. they aren't moving him anywhere. if he misses 50 games so be it, but they are not going to just let a guy like that go, innocent or not. just stop.

eznark

Banned
stop it. they aren't moving him anywhere. if he misses 50 games so be it, but they are not going to just let a guy like that go, innocent or not. just stop.

Of course they won't move him, no where do I say they will. I'm merely stating my preference. I don't want whatever this team is able to accomplish over the next 8 years tarnished.

Sanjuro

I think this is garbage. Unlike the examples he listed MLB actually knew that Braun failed a drug test well before the voting happened, this information shouldn't have been kept in secrecy away from the voters. And even so this isn't nearly the same thing as going back 10 years in the past to change an award, it's still 2011.

You are delusional to think they ever would.

BFIB

So was this test part of the new CBA agreement? As in, HGH? Or is it just an "unknown substance"?

It just baffles me, if Braun did legit cheat, that players continue to believe they can get away with this kind of stuff.

I think eznark's right that the odds of us ever getting a straightforward answer about what the fuck happened are slim, unfortunately. And that's depressing.

So was this test part of the new CBA agreement? As in, HGH? Or is it just an "unknown substance"?

It just baffles me, if Braun did legit cheat, that players continue to believe they can get away with this kind of stuff.
The test happened prior to the new CBA so probably not. There's been talk whether the new policy to publically reveal which PED a player tested positive for should be retroactively applied to this case though.

As for "getting away with it", I wonder how easily something like this passes under the radar during a 162 game season. Despite a supposedly tougher testing policy, it's not feasible to test everyone regularly. I mean, unless Braun only took w/e he took during the playoffs, the testing didn't root him out all season! Doesn't sound like it's that hard to get away with it if you look at it that way.

BFIB

I'm sure its not "Well, 30 days have passed. Here Braun, piss in this cup!" type of deal, but I'd have to believe the MLB is at least testing every player at least once during the season.

I wanted the Brewers to be a big story in the offseason for a number of reasons. This isn't one of them. Be careful what you wish for, I guess.

Why is the M so big?!?

*shrug*

It just is, I guess. At least I don't think it feels as heavy as the giant angry bird the Jays were wearing for the last several years.

Doytch

It just is, I guess. At least I don't think it feels as heavy as the giant angry bird the Jays were wearing for the last several years.
That M is monstrous. But the hugeness of the Jay was the reason I went with the black T hat when I was picking between the two.

Red Canada Day version > all tho. Love that one. I don't wear caps a lot, but if I do, it's that one. And I'll probably get this years Canada Day hat, too.

That M is monstrous. But the hugeness of the Jay was the reason I went with the black T hat when I was picking between the two.

Red Canada Day version > all tho. Love that one. I don't wear caps a lot, but if I do, it's that one. And I'll probably get this years Canada Day hat, too.

The toothpaste T cap seemed like an admission that their primary was crappy. Admittedly, I do own one of the big bird caps, but it's the graphite one. I couldn't resist.

threenote

Banned
And GAF destroyed Manny for it, especially Yankee-GAF.

Um, that's because Manny was caught taking HcG--a common substance used to reverse the testicular side effects associated with steroids. Sure he wasn't caught using steroids, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out why Manny would take HcG.

Yankee-GAF had/has every right to bash Manny; and if Braun is caught taking similar substances (HcG, Clomid, Tamoxifen, etc...) then all this bashing is justified, as well.

Sanjuro

Um, that's because Manny was caught taking HcG--a common substance used to reverse the testicular side effects associated with steroids. Sure he wasn't caught using steroids, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out why Manny would take HcG.

Yankee-GAF had/has every right to bash Manny; and if Braun is caught taking similar substances (HcG, Clomid, Tamoxifen, etc...) then all this bashing is justified, as well.

Hypocrite.

eznark

Banned
The difference with Manny is that we only found out about it after the entire process had run its course and he was determined to have cheated. We're only halfway through the process for Braun.

threenote

Banned
Sure it does. Replace David Ortiz with Manny for example.

No it doesn't make sense, and I advise you to choose your words more carefully next time. I wasn't making the comparison between David Ortiz and Braun. I was making the comparison between Manny and Braun. If David Ortiz was found using the previously mentioned substances, then yes he, too, deserves to be bashed by fans and the media. So what's your point, exactly?

For what it's worth we still-to this day-have no idea what David Ortiz was taking, at least I don't. We don't know what Braun was taking, either, but my original post was a hypothetical anyways.

Sanjuro

No it doesn't make sense, and I advise you to choose your words more carefully next time. I wasn't making the comparison between David Ortiz and Braun. I was making the comparison between Manny and Braun. If David Ortiz was found using the previously mentioned substances, then yes he, too, deserves to be bashed by fans and the media. So what's your point, exactly?

For what it's worth we still-to this day-have no idea what David Ortiz was taking, at least I don't.

The original point was Manny getting flack from the Yankee fans. David Ortiz has received the same treatment, even more if we are comparing the examples.

Your point is assumptions alone are justified enough to bash. Why do we need to wait for Braun?

Brewers signed ARam, 3 years (per my inconsistent source)

Fucker wasn't even fast this time! Its already on the nets

I don't know how I feel about this, personally. ARam really fucked over some of my fantasy teams in 2010, and I've held a grudge ever since.

In other news, Ben Francisco has been traded to the Jays. Phils get Frank Gailey.

eznark

Banned
I don't know how I feel about this, personally. ARam really fucked over some of my fantasy teams in 2010, and I've held a grudge ever since.

It's great, assuming the money isn't crazy.

They also signed Travis Ishikawa to a minor league deal.

The Brewers just made their team significantly better. I couldn't care less. Ugh, this is awful.

Sanjuro

It's great, assuming the money isn't crazy.

They also signed Travis Ishikawa to a minor league deal.

The Brewers just made their team significantly better. I couldn't care less. Ugh, this is awful.

Pretty sure you could care less.

At the end of the day you're still in the NL Central. You have a good chance of still making the post season and having a formidable team assembled.

Levyne

Banned
Aram is a great middle of the order guy if he can stay healthy. Defensively I dont think he is as bad as some would lead you to think.

eznark

Banned
Wow, A-Ram to the Brewers?

Great pickup there.

Who will move to 1B then?

Potentially a Gamel/McGehee platoon as it stands now. I assume they will try and move KRod or Marcum though, possibly for Morales? That's just my speculation looking at needs/wants.

Based on what I'm hearing, KRod is not going to be moved. If this fevered "Greinke wants to go" rumor (which looks to be bullshit at this point) is true then moving him to Anaheim is a no-brainer.

Probably Aramis ?
No

Sanjuro

I haven't seen him play consistently in a while. He is turning 34, can still bat. I would imagine he would spend some time over at first unless they sign someone else soon.

threenote

Banned
The original point was Manny getting flack from the Yankee fans. David Ortiz has received the same treatment, even more if we are comparing the examples.

Your point is assumptions alone are justified enough to bash. Why do we need to wait for Braun?

I was addressing the claim that banned substances =/= steroids. I stated that while Braun may have not been caught taking steroids, he could face a similar situation as Manny--who was caught taking HcG: a drug used to combat testicular side-effects of steroids. Thus, the bashing directed towards Braun is justified if he is caught taking similar substances because HcG and Clomid are for pregnant women and steroid users.

I am indifferent about the Yankees, indifferent about the Red Sox, and definitely indifferent about the Brewers. I just don't care about those teams (and said players) enough to be "hypocritical."

I think Braun deserves the bashing regardless--he was caught taking a "P.E.D". Manny deserved the bashing, and Ortiz deserved it as well. These people are ruining the game, in my opinion. It's not fair for the other players who are actually playing sans steroids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom