• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Spanish is SOO RUSTY I dare not type in Spanish.

EDIT: I'M SOOOO ALONE.. No English speakers in chat and I know just enough Spanish to know piecees of what people are saying.

It's official. Starting in 2012, the Wild Card team will always face the team with the League's best record, no matter if they play in the same division.

More changes in 2012:

-- Players are banned from getting tattoos with corporate logos.

-- Players possibly wearing microphones during games.

More changes to happen at some point:

-- Any big leaguer who wants to switch his uniform number for the same team must give the commissioner's office notice by July 31 of the previous season. If no notice is given, the player must purchase warehouses of their overstocked merchandise with their old number on them.

-- All-Star Break will be expanded to 4 days. Starting in 2013, MLB has the right to move the All-Star Game to Wednesday and the Home Run Derby to Tuesday if they wish.

-- All players on a team's 40-man roster will have their own private rooms during spring training.

-- Players and team officials can no longer contact official scorers directly to request scoring appeals. They must send video of the disputed play to MLB.

-- Punishments for slow-moving hitters and pitchers have been increased. 6th-time-and-beyond offenders will be hit with $10,000 fines for each violation.

-- Players may not bet on any sport with illegal bookies.

-- Each team will play no more than 20 Interleague games starting in 2013. Interleague games will be spread out over the entire season.

-- No nicknames on equipment that may reasonably offend someone.

Three things still waiting on:

-- Whether to begin the new two Wild Card format in 2012 or 2013. Selig has until March 1, 2012 to decide.

-- Umpires have to approve the expanded instant replay, which would include fair/foul calls and catch/trap calls.

-- MLB's new Social Media policy.

I want a player to sue over the corporate logo tattoo bullshit.

What an odd rule. What if you are a hockey fan and you get a tattoo of your favorite teams logo, or you are a gamer and you get a Nintendo tattoo? I dont see how they can enforce that.

The rule has more to do with players getting paid for tattooing logos on their body. If they can prove they aren't getting paid for it, I'm sure it's ultimately okay.

It turns out there was a minor league player who tested positive back in 2007 under the same circumstances Braun did. His name was Brendan Katin. He's the only guy to ever win a drug test appeal. He was also, ironically, Braun's teammate at the University of Miami.

His test came back positive for elevated testosterone levels and knew he was clean. He was told he was being suspended for 50 games. His second test, like Braun's, came back negative. The appeal process took two months and he won the appeal.

MLB never told him why he tested positive, but some medical experts told him that testosterone levels can shoot through the roof in some men if they drink heavily the night before a test.

Katin is still in the Brewers organization, recovering from knee surgery.

clemenx

Banned
I don't care either way but I hope Braun is right. Nothing I hate most than people condemning and doing bullshit moral judgement without knowing all the facts.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like 3/$21 for Willingham. I'm really amped about this signing, but I have an irrational dislike of Cuddyer fueled by the local media giving him constant fellatio ever since Torii Hunter left Minnesota. I'm expecting the media to melt down now that he's leaving. They were complaining before the offseason started in earnest that Mauer's contract will keep the Twins from keeping players like Cuddyer around.

Mauer is an elite player at a premium position. Cuddyer has a skillset that is easily replaced. Willingham has been better than Cuddyer over their careers. And he's signing for $5 million a year less than Cuddyer was asking for initially, and $3 million less than he's pushing for now. And the Twins are going to collect 2 draft picks once Cuddy signs somewhere else.

Thanks for everything Michael, but happy trails. I hope he signs in the NL so that the Twins play his new team less, that should reduce the number of times I have to hear them fellate him when he comes back to play in Minnesota.

Supposedly, Braves and Orioles are in talks about a trade; would swap Jair Jurrjens & Martin Prado for Adam Jones. All three will be free agents after 2013.

Johan Santana may not be ready for opening day.

Fuck.
ummm... the whole article next time.

Sandy Alderson acknowledged the Mets need starting rotation insurance, in part because there's no absolute assurance Johan Santana will be ready in April.

Still, Alderson acknowledged, adding starting pitching depth is tricky because assuming everyone is healthy, the rotation should be Santana, Jon Niese, R.A. Dickey, Mike Pelfrey and Dillon Gee and any signee would need to work out of the bullpen or be dispatched to Triple-A.

“If we stick someone in, who’s the logical person to go down? We don’t really have a logical candidate to go down," Alderson said. "But we do have some question marks, of course, with Santana being one of them. We think he’s going to be ready, but he might not be. That’s where the depth becomes important.

“The problem with rotation depth is you have to hit the sweet spot. You have to find somebody who could be a swingman -- because if everything goes right, we don’t have a spot in that rotation. So it’s got to be somebody who can either be a swingman out of the bullpen, or somebody who could go to Triple-A initially and maybe move up and down.

“There are some interesting names out there. We have to hit the right spot with the guy that gives us the kind of flexibility that will ultimately give us the depth. And that’s not always easy to find.

“We claimed [Jeremy] Hefner off waivers yesterday. I think he’s the kind of guy that would fit what we’re looking for in terms of depth – somebody that has options that we can move back and forth. He’s not an established name, but someone we think nonetheless might be helpful."

Alderson did not expect anything notable to be accomplished with starting pitching or otherwise before Jan. 1.

“Nothing has happened since the [winter] meetings that would suggest that anything is going to get done soon,” Alderson said. “… Anything that would happen between now and Christmas would be minor. I think the market is going to start to slow down between now and Christmas and probably stay that way until New Years, and then pick up again.”

As for trade rumblings involving Niese, the GM added: "He’s part of our plans for next year. Absolutely. But we made it clear from the get-go that we’ll talk about almost anybody. But at this point that’s all it is, is talk. I wouldn’t say that it’s even been significant conversations. He’s still very much part of our plans.”
Sandy was saying JUST IN CASE something happens and he's not ready. As of now he's still on track for Spring Training barring a setback.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Supposedly, Braves and Orioles are in talks about a trade; would swap Jair Jurrjens & Martin Prado for Adam Jones. All three will be free agents after 2013.
Adam Jones is the kind of player that, at this point, would make a pretty good right-handed half of a corner outfield platoon. And he's probably going to make around 4-4.5mill in arb this year. No thanks.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Please tell me someone else was listening to Boomer and Carton. They played a newly mixed song about Jose Reyes to P Diddy's Missing You, fucking priceless. It's unfortunately not on their website yet.

Can't wait!

I love the confirmation that we can share saves between PS3 and Vita. Double dip confirmed!!!!!

It's official. Starting in 2012, the Wild Card team will always face the team with the League's best record, no matter if they play in the same division.

More changes in 2012:

-- Players are banned from getting tattoos with corporate logos.

-- Players possibly wearing microphones during games.

More changes to happen at some point:

-- Any big leaguer who wants to switch his uniform number for the same team must give the commissioner's office notice by July 31 of the previous season. If no notice is given, the player must purchase warehouses of their overstocked merchandise with their old number on them.

-- All-Star Break will be expanded to 4 days. Starting in 2013, MLB has the right to move the All-Star Game to Wednesday and the Home Run Derby to Tuesday if they wish.

-- All players on a team's 40-man roster will have their own private rooms during spring training.

-- Players and team officials can no longer contact official scorers directly to request scoring appeals. They must send video of the disputed play to MLB.

-- Punishments for slow-moving hitters and pitchers have been increased. 6th-time-and-beyond offenders will be hit with $10,000 fines for each violation.

-- Players may not bet on any sport with illegal bookies.

-- Each team will play no more than 20 Interleague games starting in 2013. Interleague games will be spread out over the entire season.

-- No nicknames on equipment that may reasonably offend someone.

Three things still waiting on:

-- Whether to begin the new two Wild Card format in 2012 or 2013. Selig has until March 1, 2012 to decide.

-- Umpires have to approve the expanded instant replay, which would include fair/foul calls and catch/trap calls.

-- MLB's new Social Media policy.

So the Indian's need to change their name?

eznark

Banned
The rule has more to do with players getting paid for tattooing logos on their body. If they can prove they aren't getting paid for it, I'm sure it's ultimately okay.

Yep, and I think that is absolute fucking horseshit. Teams and the league can plaster any fucking advertisement on any piece of equipment they can get their hands on. They use digital imaging to rotate home plate displays, they tried to fucking SELL THE GOD DAMN BASES to Spider Man 2. Yet a player isn't afforded the same opportunity?

Fuck that shit.

eznark

Banned
back121411.jpg

ToxicAdam

All-Star Break will be expanded to 4 days

3 days already seems like an eternity ... :/

Punishments for slow-moving hitters and pitchers have been increased. 6th-time-and-beyond offenders will be hit with $10,000 fines for each violation.

Rafeal Betancourt says: " Noooooo... "

Doytch

This is my favourite part. Wtf :jnc

e: DARVISH DAY

3 days already seems like an eternity ... :/

I'll allow it if it makes it easier for starters to pitch and gives players fewer excuses to ditch the game.

By the way, one of the CBA additions mentioned earlier was a fine for repeatedly slowing down the game--is this brand new or just an increase in a penalty that was already in place?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Fixed. Mets fans just need to accept he is the new Carl Pavano or Mike Hampton only even worse.
I was crushed when the Twins traded Santana. The trade package they got was horrible, but in retrospect I think it's probably for the best they didn't pay him $20 million a year or whatever. I just wish they would've kept him in 2008, they likely would've won the division outright then. Oh well, hind sight.

clemenx

Banned
I was crushed when the Twins traded Santana. The trade package they got was horrible, but in retrospect I think it's probably for the best they didn't pay him $20 million a year or whatever. I just wish they would've kept him in 2008, they likely would've won the division outright then. Oh well, hind sight.

Nah, this just happened because he's with the Mets. If he had stayed with the Twins he would have stayed on his way to the HOF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom