• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malo

Banned
Not a bad deal for the Red Sox. Is he going to be their closer or are they still looking?

I always liked Melancon and thought he'd be a good reliever. Yankees just didn't give him much of a shot.

Sanjuro

Not a bad deal for the Red Sox. Is he going to be their closer or are they still looking?

I always liked Melancon and thought he'd be a good reliever. Yankees just didn't give him much of a shot.
Probably won't know till spring. Bard probably will be starting.

jman2050

I hate hate hate trading for non-elite relievers. There's absolutely no good reason to do so, much less for actual MLB talent and during the offseason.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I hate hate hate trading for non-elite relievers. There's absolutely no good reason to do so, much less for actual MLB talent and during the offseason.
Trading for relievers period, unless you're moving pretty small pieces, seems stupid.

Capps for Ramos, smfh.

ToxicAdam

Relievers are such a crap shoot in general, there's really no hard set rules on how to build a bullpen. It's kind of maddening at just how arbitrary it is, considering how important it is to a team's success.

eznark

Banned

You act like they traded something of value. The trade is basically Weiland (who would start in Pawtuckett) for Melancon (who will start in Boston). Lowrie is what, the 7th or 8th best middle infielder in the organization? Getting something of value for him is solid.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
If the Rays traded anything of value for a reliever I'd be pissed as hell. They are completely fungible pieces that incredibly overvalued both in the FA and the trade market. But it's not that bad for the Red Sox because they can get away with overvalued luxuries due to their payroll status, it's a shit deal for them but I get why they did it, it's simply better than giving bums like Frank Francisco 2/12. But it's a really great move for the Astros.

eznark

Banned
If the Rays traded anything of value for a reliever I'd be pissed as hell. They are completely fungible pieces that incredibly overvalued both in the FA and the trade market. But it's not that bad for the Red Sox because they can get away with overvalued luxuries due to their payroll status, it's a shit deal for them but I get why they did it, it's simply better than giving bums like Frank Francisco 2/12. But it's a really great move for the Astros.

I'm missing the part where the Red Sox gave up value.

jman2050

okay, don't pull this revisionist history bullshit that Lowrie is just some expendable piece that can be given away for nothing. His health and defense issues are real, and he may not have a place in the organization at large, but he's a middle infielder, has shown potential and is still young, for those type of trade pieces you wait for the right deal or try to swindle a team during the trade deadline, not trade for a completely unremarkable reliever.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
okay, don't pull this revisionist history bullshit that Lowrie is just some expendable piece that can be given away for nothing. His health and defense issues are real, and he may not have a place in the organization at large, but for those type of trade pieces you wait for the right deal or try to swindle a team during the trade deadline, not trade for a completely unremarkable reliever.
I was kind of hoping the Twins would make a run for Lowrie, honestly. I figured he'd cost a lot more than he did.

Sanjuro

Melancon will be in the pen. I still think the Sox are going to make a push at Bailey (A's want no part of him). You're now looking at your 7-9 inning guys.

eznark

Banned
okay, don't pull this revisionist history bullshit that Lowrie is just some expendable piece that can be given away for nothing. His health and defense issues are real, and he may not have a place in the organization at large, but he's a middle infielder, has shown potential and is still young, for those type of trade pieces you wait for the right deal or try to swindle a team during the trade deadline, not trade for a completely unremarkable reliever.

Every season he play, and every season he gets hurt, significantly decreases his value. He wasn't a part of the Red Sox future. They have plenty of pieces in the organization (Xander, Iglesias, Coyle...) that are considered future stars and have significantly higher ceilings (and are better overall players) than Lowrie. The only guy whose stock has dropped more is Laaaarz

Scutaro is obviously still going to start, and Pedoroia is clearly the 2B. That puts Lowrie at 6th. Damn! Didn't they experiment with Cecchini at second because of Middlebrooks? If so, that puts Lowrie at 7th!

Sanjuro

oh jman

eznark

Banned
Haven't seen much of Iglesias but his glove must be one of the best of all time. Dude can't hit himself out a paper bag. Don't get the love for him at all.

8GWFP.png

How is he so good at defense with that floating eye!?!??!

Haven't seen much of Iglesias but his glove must be one of the best of all time. Dude can't hit himself out a paper bag. Don't get the love for him at all.
That's the thing. He can't hit. He was gonna play in DR to work on his offensive but I think his dad is sick so he didn't go.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Deadline is in just a little over 2 hours, I'd imagine we find out the winner shortly thereafter barring some hiccups of some sort.

Actually scratch that,

"The posting period for 29-year-old Seibu Lions' infielder Hiroyuki Nakajima ended on December 3rd, but the New York Yankees weren't announced as the team that had won the rights to negotiate with Nakajima until four days later. The Nippon Ham Fighters will be informed of the highest bid tomorrow, but not which team made it and they too will have four days to decide if they accept it."

Looks like it might take up a couple days but I imagine Darvish announcement probably leaks out if it's not officially confirmed sooner than that.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Nick Punto signed a deal with the Red Sox.

I love Punto to death. Had a hell of a season last year before he got hurt. Red Sox are going to be a ton of fun to watch this season.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Red Sox and Nick Punto have agreed on a 2-year, $3 million deal. Incentives can push it to $3.5 million.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I'm so sorry Red Sox Nation!

In other news, apparently the Twins have left their contract to Michael Cuddyer on the table, and they will move Span for pitching if he accepts.

If this happens, I might need a new team to root for. Revere is a fine 4th outfielder, and the Twins are failry deep in the (low) minors for OF, but Revere does not make Span expendable. Trading Span to make room for someone with as limited a skillset as Cuddyer has is just mindbogglingly stupid.

God.

Punto is a big downgrade from Lowrie. But the Red Sox needed a closer and I think Daniel Bard proved this year he's not ready for it. And it would be even sweeter if Melancon proved to be successful considering he came up through the Yankees system. The Yankees traded Melancon at the 2010 trade deadline to the Astros for Lance Berkman.

Deadline is in just a little over 2 hours, I'd imagine we find out the winner shortly thereafter barring some hiccups of some sort.

Actually scratch that,

"The posting period for 29-year-old Seibu Lions' infielder Hiroyuki Nakajima ended on December 3rd, but the New York Yankees weren't announced as the team that had won the rights to negotiate with Nakajima until four days later. The Nippon Ham Fighters will be informed of the highest bid tomorrow, but not which team made it and they too will have four days to decide if they accept it."

Looks like it might take up a couple days but I imagine Darvish announcement probably leaks out if it's not officially confirmed sooner than that.

We gonna find out today, no doubt about it.

I don't understand how it would take 4 days to look at the 30 bids, see who bid the most, and announce it.

Yankees going to get him

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I'm so sorry Red Sox Nation!

In other news, apparently the Twins have left their contract to Michael Cuddyer on the table, and they will move Span for pitching if he accepts.

If this happens, I might need a new team to root for. Revere is a fine 4th outfielder, and the Twins are failry deep in the (low) minors for OF, but Revere does not make Span expendable. Trading Span to make room for someone with as limited a skillset as Cuddyer has is just mindbogglingly stupid.

God.
Torii will welcome you with arms wide open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom