• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp

If you ever need a refresher on why Bowden isn't a GM anymore, read an article of his on ESPN. His suggested trades for the White Sox rebuild are loltastic. Getting Marte and someone for Gavin Floyd, trading for Eric Surkamp (loool, can't imagine that in the AL).
I don't think any of us need a refresher on why Bowden isn't a GM anymore, but I'll read the article anyway.

Aw man, ESPN insider? Laaaame.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Yep! He came to AA in a dream and said, "Do the damn thing!"

But yeah, whoever the head of Rogers Communications is these days...he instructed the team to make the bid and they'd cover it.

But why they though? If they wanted Star power wouldn't they tell him to sign Prince. It is not like there are many Japanese people in Toronto, I mean if he was Chinese it would make a ton of sense. And off the top of my head I don't think Rogers does any sort of business in Japan.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
But why they though? If they wanted Star power wouldn't they tell him to sign Prince. It is not like there are many Japanese people in Toronto, I mean if he was Chinese it would make a ton of sense. And off the top of my head I don't think Rogers does any sort of business in Japan.

I don't know if it was just an Ichiro thing or not but I remember a lot of times when he comes over here to play they have some pretty big Japanese nights. I also did look at statscan that said the majority of the Japanese population in Canada live in either Vancouver or Toronto (but this is based from 2007 so who knows how much that's changed).

But speaking of Darvish, kinda funny to see that the Jays put in the money for him yet people are complaining that they're overpaying for him yet still crying for Fielder.

Can't please this fanbase.

Doytch

I don't know if it was just an Ichiro thing or not but I remember a lot of times when he comes over here to play they have some pretty big Japanese nights. I also did look at statscan that said the majority of the Japanese population in Canada live in either Vancouver or Toronto (but this is based from 2007 so who knows how much that's changed).

But speaking of Darvish, kinda funny to see that the Jays put in the money for him yet people are complaining that they're overpaying for him yet still crying for Fielder.

Can't please this fanbase.
These aren't the same people. The people whinging about "those cheap fucks at Rogers" are Leafs fans who don't know fuck all about baseball.

Would've thought that with the leafs not being on the gutter they'd keep their noses out if MLB, but guess not.

I cant believe the Phils are not going to get anyone this offseason. This really sucks. No way are they going to win the NL East
by 13 games
this year.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Wow the Rockies are giving Cuddyer $31.5 million over 3 years. Willingham looks like a steal in comparison, and that doesn't include the two picks the Twins receive for Cuddyer signing with Colorado.

Jon

I cant believe the Phils are not going to get anyone this offseason. This really sucks. No way are they going to win the NL East
by 13 games
this year.

Cuddyer isn't the piece that would put them over the top. For his price, it was good to pass. Best signing is Willis. Thome and Nix are just seat-fillers. Papelbon signing at 50 mil is clearly the worst move this offseason--for the Phillies.

Cuddyer isn't the piece that would put them over the top. For his price, it was good to pass. Best signing is Willis. Thome and Nix are just seat-fillers. Papelbon signing at 50 mil is clearly the worst move this offseason--for the Phillies.

I actually like the Papelbon signing, I think he will be a big upgrade over Madson, and maybe now Charlie wont let the starters finish so many games. My problem with this offseason is they still only have one .300 hitter on the team for next year. Even worse is Rollins will probably come back now and we will be stuck with him hitting leadoff again.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Guaranteeing $50 million to a guy who's going to pitch like 70 innings a season is pretty ugly no matter what way you slice it.

eznark

Banned
I actually like the Papelbon signing, I think he will be a big upgrade over Madson, and maybe now Charlie wont let the starters finish so many games. My problem with this offseason is they still only have one .300 hitter on the team for next year. Even worse is Rollins will probably come back now and we will be stuck with him hitting leadoff again.

notsureifserious

Jon

I think the upgrade over Madson is negligible, especially since every time he comes into a game I'll get douchechills. Moreover, he takes forever to throw pitches...maybe that shit flies in Boston, but on a staff with Lee and Halladay, it's going to be torturous.

Guaranteeing $50 million to a guy who's going to pitch like 70 innings a season is pretty ugly no matter what way you slice it.

I can see that, but the Phils dont win the WS without Lidge, so a good closer can be vital. With the Phils being so offensively limited they cannot afford to have their bullpen giving up leads. It would have been nice if they could have gotten a closer on the cheap and then used the money on someone to help the offense, but it didnt work out that way.

eznark

Banned
I really hope the Jays get Prince now. If Darvish isn't a total flame out, they could be a super fun team to watch. I love their radio and TV guys too, so I watch a lot of them anyway.

lupinko

I read this over breakfast but I still don't buy it. As in, not ordering my Darvish jersey just yet. These are all still rumours, and only AA and Beeston (and maybe Nadir Mohammed) know what the Jays bid.

The insiders are just all sitting in an echo chamber as far as I'm concerned.

AA was pretty coy this morning on TSN Radio, so I'd say the New York Post was probably right about the Jays nabbing the negotiation rights for Darvish.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Barry Bonds has been sentenced to 20 days house arrest and 2 years probation for obstruction of justice.

TAKE THAT!

Thank god. I can sleep easy now knowing the feds went full out burning through millions upon of millions of dollars to put that man behind bars in house arrest probably nothing at all after he rightfully wins his appeal.

verbum

I really hope the Jays get Prince now. If Darvish isn't a total flame out, they could be a super fun team to watch. I love their radio and TV guys too, so I watch a lot of them anyway.

The Braves play the Jays June 8,9,10 so we might face him.

Doytch

AA was pretty coy this morning on TSN Radio, so I'd say the New York Post was probably right about the Jays nabbing the negotiation rights for Darvish.
So...was this like the first time you've heard AA give an interview? Half-kidding, but seriously, that's pretty much the MO of the entire Jays FO since he took over.

People need to remember that only the commish's office (not even Nippon) knows who won. And any rumour about how much the Jays spent is dogshit and make-believe, since there's no way in hell Alex or Beest leaked it.

lupinko

Toronto will get a large influx of Japanese tourists (this always applies to Seattle due to Ichiro, I think the same did for the Yankees during Godzilla's tenure), also I guess Rogers is also looking at Japanese Blue Jays broadcasting rights like the aforementioned other teams. Most Japanese I've talked to who are here in Vancouver on holiday usually have a Mariners' game on their to do list. I bet they would add a Toronto trip if Darvish ends up as a Jay.

So it's good for expanding the Blue Jays brand, Rogers makes more money, and the Jays get a potential starting ace in Darvish with tremendous upside.

Doytch

Toronto will get a large influx of Japanese tourists (this always applies to Seattle due to Ichiro, I think the same did for the Yankees during Godzilla's tenure), also I guess Rogers is also looking at Japanese Blue Jays broadcasting rights like the aforementioned other teams. Most Japanese I've talked to who are here in Vancouver on holiday usually have a Mariners' game on their to do list. I bet they would add a Toronto trip if Darvish ends up as a Jay.

So it's good for expanding the Blue Jays brand, Rogers makes more money, and the Jays get a potential starting ace in Darvish with tremendous upside.
Just like the Red Sox did with Matsuzaka, right...? Epstein said a few times that the ancillary fiscal benefits from having a Japanese player on a team are pretty minimal. I know people like to think that all of a sudden the Jays will be rolling in sweet, sweet Nippon-scented money, but there's not really any evidence that it'd happen. Ichiro! is Ichiro!

lupinko

Just like the Red Sox did with Matsuzaka, right...? Epstein said a few times that the ancillary fiscal benefits from having a Japanese player on a team are pretty minimal. I know people like to think that all of a sudden the Jays will be rolling in sweet, sweet Nippon-scented money, but there's not really any evidence that it'd happen. Ichiro! is Ichiro!

Well, just saying there's potential, you don't have to be all antsy about it. =P

Brinbe

Pretty sure that D'Arnaud talk/interest from the Mets a few days ago was supposedly about Niese (which is probably why it went nowhere.)

From Metsblog
That’s not what I’ve heard… People who know both teams have told me that during the Winter Meetings the Mets and Jays had fairly substantive talks that centered around Niese, catching prospect Travis D’Arnaud and one of Toronto’s younger, back-end starting pitchers. However, it seems like Toronto is also in talks with Oakland about Gio Gonzalez, and they’re probably monitoring the free-agent market as well. So, in that sense, perhaps Sandy is right, things are quiet… today. It’s an intriguing deal, but I suspect the Jays have better options and, despite the talks, the Mets seem reluctant to part with Niese.

Was that in an effort to imrpove his hitting? Because I read an article that since Prince is so fat pitchers can't go inside on him. Makes sense he would drop veganism because there is nothing else to do in Milwuakee.

Rosenthal reporting the Mets are making a run at Gio Gonzalez. Mets have told A's that Jon Niese, Ike Davis, Zach Wheeler, Jenrry Meijia, and Jeurys Familia are untouchable.

Could totally see the A's acquring David Wright and immediately spinning him off to another team for more prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom