• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
walks away slowly

SHOW ME WINS
Dtp3U.jpg

Cardinals offense good? Yes. Consistent? :lol We'll either knock Medlen out around the 3rd inning or he'll shut us down for about 8 innings.

As for Lohse, Matheny better have a quick hook if things turn south. We've trimmed the fat a little bit in our middle relief and replaced most of the crap with promising rookies. But I still feel like our lack of quality LOOGYs will be our downfall.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So explain this "WAR" argument for Trout. Cabrera's was 7.2. If the Tigers lose 7 games, the Sox win the division. Are the people arguing this sabremetrics shit even paying attention to that?

Everyone is thinking about it wrong. WAR is a measure of who you would want to go to WAR for you. Trout looks a little soft to me (quite literally in that last photo). Maybe he is spending too much time with that girlfriend of his. Cabrera though...I imagine, due to his domestic abuse incidents, would be at least a good melee combatant. Therefore I don't understand how you would give Trout the WAR edge.

Also the worst thing about the playoffs is definitely the appearance of Branduil and the negative Ranger fans. God.

I wish the Phillies would just stop throwing money at FA's. Mayberry and Brown did fine. Don't know how Schierholtz did though.

Brown was okay but this is the 2nd year in a row that Mayberry struggled big time the first 3/4 of the season and then turned it on at the end. If the Phils can get more consistency out of that spot they need to go for it. Phils also desperately need to add power to the lineup somewhere. Way to many games last year where they would have double digit hits and only 2 runs to show for it. I know Ruff is going to winter ball so if he tears it up down there he will get a look for a spot.

Buster Olney said today that the Braves are willing to use Kimbrel for 3 innings today, has he ever pitched that many innings in a game before? That seems like an insane idea to me. If I was the opposing tam I would just take pitches until there were 2 strikes and then choke up and try to foul off anything close. Try to drive his pitch count up as quickly as possible.

alstein

Buster Olney said today that the Braves are willing to use Kimbrel for 3 innings today, has he ever pitched that many innings in a game before? That seems like an insane idea to me. If I was the opposing tam I would just take pitches until there were 2 strikes and then choke up and try to foul off anything close. Try to drive his pitch count up as quickly as possible.

Why not. Kimbrel's max I think is either 1 1/3 or 1 2/3. That said, with EOF hurting, the rest of the Braves bullpen isn't general-purpose reliable (Avilan and Gearrin are good LOOGY/ROOGY, I don't trust Durbin, Venters, or C-Mart)

I'd consider throwing Hudson in relief today.

RBH

Oh God, I just thought about Durbin possibly being used today.

Hope we can get 7+ out of Medlen.

alstein

Oh God, I just thought about Durbin possibly being used today.

Hope we can get 7+ out of Medlen.

I think the only way Durbin gets used is if it's like the 13th inning or later. You got Maholm, Minor, and Hudson.

Avilan, Gearrin, and EOF will be used first, but none of them can go over an inning really.

I'm pretty new to the sport of Baseball and am a local D.C guy...seems to me the reward for winning the division = playing the first two games of a best of 3 series on the road? Seems fucking ridiculous.

I'm pretty new to the sport of Baseball and am a local D.C guy...seems to me the reward for winning the division = playing the first two games of a best of 3 series on the road? Seems fucking ridiculous.
Its only for this year. Herr Selig wanted to get wildcard one game play-in this season, even though schedule was already created. Next year it goes back to the 2 2 1primo format.

Tobor

It could work if the season starts a bit earlier, like the beginning of the last week of March. A team with a large lead in the WC losing a one-game play-in is hardly fair, I feel.

It's not supposed to be fair. The whole point of doing this was to punish the wild card teams for failing to win their division.

lucius

What time does the 1st game on TBS start today?

My TV listing from Verizon is saying 6pm eastern(5:30pre-game) but the MLB At Bat App is saying 5pm on TBS.

Um, not quite. The reward for winning your division is not having to play a 1 game elimination game for the last playoff spot. After which the first 2 games of a best-of-5 are at the wildcard teams city, and the last 3 are at the division winners team.

Anybody who has never used the WAVE OF THE FUTURE know as Internet Relay Chat needs to spend a few minutes this morning downloading a client or learning to use a web client. Then, come game time, join MLB-age on irc.browsingtheinternet.com and get ready for the NEXT STEP in BASEBALL CHAT. The stakes have never been higher, which means you will experience the EXTREME BIPOLAR JOY AND ANGER and apathy of all your favorite MLB-gaf stars IN REAL TIME! NO F5 REQUIRED!

Will Enron need to be talked down from the ledge of a building? Will Jango drink himself into a stupor and pass out on the keyboard? Will Branduil show up and piss in the punchbowl? TRY IRC TODAY AND JOIN THE FUN.

McNei1y

I'm nervous for the O's and there not even my primary team. I can't imagine what all of you Cards/Braves/O's/Rangers fans are going through!

Oxx

Go Barves.

You just know Medlen will stink after all that dominance, so I'm hanging my hopes on Brian McCann pinch-hit heroics.

Griegite

still a junior
Looking forward to tonight no matter what the result. It's good to just know the Orioles didn't have another losing season. I think in the long term this season has to be considered a step in the right direction. Hopefully we can keep improving in the next few seasons.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
AL MVP race debate update- two people have deleted me from FB after trying to explain to them what sabermetrics are. =(
Sounds about right. I was trying to detail why Mauer was a good hitter to someone using stats and they're like "lol doesn't hit enough dingers to make $23 million."

I hope the Tigers & Yankees are eliminated before the ALCS. I'd be basically okay with anyone but them winning the series. Sorry Square Triangle & turnbuckle. I like you both, but I loathe your team.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
no Juan Francisco or Cristhian Martinez on the roster....
The Roster: (starters bolded)
Pitchers – Luis Avilan, Chad Durbin, Cory Gearrin, Tim Hudson, Craig Kimbrel, Kris Medlen, Mike Minor, Eric O’Flaherty, Jonny Venters.
Catchers – J.C. Boscan, Brian McCann, David Ross.
Infielders – Jeff Baker, Freddie Freeman, Eric Hinske, Chipper Jones, Lyle Overbay, Tyler Pastornicky, Andrelton Simmons, Dan Uggla.
Outfielders – Michael Bourn, Jose Constanza, Jason Heyward, Reed Johnson, Martin Prado.
I can kinda let Martinez slide (kinda) but Francisco not on the roster? sigh

Top Bottom