• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

BigAT

Red Sox already lining up interviews for the position. First guy that applied was someone named Robby Malentine.

BobbyValentineDisguise_display_image.jpg

FELIX IS OURS AND YOU CAN'T HAVE HIM.

Figgins wants out of Seattle though.

"I can't take two more years of this."

Hahahaha. It's your own fucking fault you shithead. Go kill yourself Chone. No one wants you.

Clown won't opt out of his $8 million dollar payday though.

He did NOT fucking say that...No way he *checks google*...that son of a bitch.

Nobody's going to take his contract, so his only option, if he really wants to get away, is to fly off to some far away land with that stupid grin he always has on his face and do everybody a favor. Fucking guy is like Rob Johnson wrapped in Scott Spiezio.

EDIT: Don't listen to Donatello, Chone.

FELIX IS OURS AND YOU CAN'T HAVE HIM.

Figgins wants out of Seattle though.

"I can't take two more years of this."

Hahahaha. It's your own fucking fault you shithead. Go kill yourself Chone. No one wants you.

Clown won't opt out of his $8 million dollar payday though.

Jason Bay for Chone Figgins and Franklin Guiterrez. Would u do that? Adam Rubin suggested it since Bay lives in Seattle.

Jason Bay for Chone Figgins and Franklin Guiterrez. Would u do that? Adam Rubin suggested it since Bay lives in Seattle.

Where's the upside in that? Take on an even shittier contract on a just-as-shitty player? That's great that he's a Northwest boy and all, but it doesn't make any sense. Remember that Gutierrez still has potential to produce if he can keep the leaky anus and assorted injuries under control. On the defensive side, who would you stick in center? The left-center wall is being moved in next year but that's still a big outfield, not to mention Houston's center field which we'll be contending with next year.

EDIT: and the thought of making Chone Figgins' life miserable for another year makes me happy.

Where's the upside in that? Take on an even shittier contract on a just-as-shitty player? That's great that he's a Northwest boy and all, but it doesn't make any sense. Remember that Gutierrez still has potential to produce if he can keep the leaky anus and assorted injuries under control. On the defensive side, who would you stick in center? The left-center wall is being moved in next year but that's still a big outfield.
Same thing I was thinking. Adam Rubin sucks man. Same guy who said Matt Harvey wasnt even close to being ML ready. Just wanted Mariners perspective.

Macattk15

Nah. Probably not. Bay's contract is worse.

Doubt he'd perform any better than his subpar numbers for the Mets. Franklin is actually useful when healthy (big WHEN there though). I have hopes for him next season. It was also shown that Franklin would of had 6 more dingers in 2009 I believe if Seattle's fences were where they will be next year. His numbers in 2009 with his defense is a quality quality player.

Just a shitty hand dealt to Franklin ... IBS problems never diagnosed all through 2011, which finally gets sorted out before 2012 season .... tore his pectoral in ST .... starts rehab .... plantar fasciitis problems ... comes back starts producing .... drilled in the face with a baseball by the dirty Red Sox on a pick-off move.

Sanjuro

Pretty sure Bay is $16+ for a couple seasons and if he reaches a certain number of at bats he will obtain a third season at that rate.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Um, Ross isn't much of an improvement, especially since he's hurting as well.

That said, at least it isn't Boscan.

23 points of wRC+ difference is a bit of an improvement. And if you want to take platoon splits into account, Ross has a 31 point lead this season against righties...

Pretty sure Bay is $16+ for a couple seasons and if he reaches a certain number of at bats he will obtain a third season at that rate.
2013 last guarenteed year at 16 million. 2014 year becomes guarenteed for 17 mil if he reaches 440 ABs. No way it happens, so he would get 3 million.
Minaya loved his vesting options.

No, he never came close to those vesting options. So it's one season of Bay for $16 million. Mets have already announced Duda or someone else as the starting LFer.

Of course, they could buy him out for $9 million I think.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Next 2 days off. Gonna be good baseball days :D

Whats gonna be the annoying thing from TBS this year? Commercial or usage of a song?

I'm sure Bobby V is really heartbroken to be away from that disaster of a team and get paid $2.5 million to sit on his ass next year.

All day today on Detroit's 97.1 The Ticket, callers ignore sabermetrics. -_- Same fans that cheer on the Detroit Lions, so not surprised.

Cardinals and Braves have already posted lineups for the Wild Card Game tomorrow.

Cardinals NL WCG Lineup

1. Jon Jay - CF
2. Carlos Beltran - RF
3. Matt Holliday - LF
4. Allen Craig - 1B
5. Yadier Molina - C
6. David Freese - 3B
7. Daniel Descalso - 2B
8. Pete Kozma - SS
9. Kyle Lohse - P

Braves NL WCG Lineup

1. Michael Bourn - CF
2. Martin Prado - LF
3. Jason Heyward - RF
4. Chipper Jones - 3B
5. Freddie Freeman - 1B
6. Dan Uggla - 2B
7. David Ross - C
8. Andrelton Simmons - SS
9. Kris Medlen - P

I think that they should probably have kept Bobby V for another season, but given how many losses they had (ending with a 7-game losing streak? Ouch...), and the strong fan reactions against him, it's quite understandable why he's gone.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The Twins cleaned house today. All the coaches (except Rick Anderson) were let go or reassigned. It sounds like Bobby Cuellar will come up to be the bullpen coach, Tom Brunansky as the hitting coach, and Gene Glynn will be one of the base coaches. Paul Molitor has expressed some interest in taking on a full time coaching role with the team if they want him.

Gardenhire's contract is up after next season. I'd say next year is make or break. Now to see if Terry Ryan will go against what he's said and will sign someone decent (Edwin Jackson, Annibal Sanchez, BOTH MAYBE?) on the free agent market for the starting rotation. If they don't, the team is going to be shit again next year.

Ryne Sandberg is the Phillies new 3B Coach.

Rumors are he's going to take over as Phillies manager in 2014 after Charlie Manuel retires.

Jim Salisbury of the Daily News says that BJ Upton will be the Phils #1 target this offseason. I would rather they get Hamilton but they have to add at least #1 OF no matter what. I wouldnt be to surprised if they add both in the 3rd base market is a graveyard.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Jim Salisbury of the Daily News says that BJ Upton will be the Phils #1 target this offseason. I would rather they get Hamilton but they have to add at least #1 OF no matter what. I wouldnt be to surprised if they add both in the 3rd base market is a graveyard.
For your sake, I hope they don't sign Hamilton. Jesus Christ that would be a horrible idea.

For your sake, I hope they don't sign Hamilton. Jesus Christ that would be a horrible idea.

I think it is a great idea. Phils have 2 years left at most to compete. After that they are going to be terrible so they need to load up now on what ever they can and not worry about down the road. Try to win 1 more WS while they can.

Top Bottom