• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

Ryne Sandberg is the Phillies new 3B Coach.

Rumors are he's going to take over as Phillies manager in 2014 after Charlie Manuel retires.
Lol Cubs.. They doing the same thing as the dodgers did with Scoscia..:(

Also Bobby V needs a tell it all book or HBO special. Expose everyone..lol

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Throw out defense. Trout still wins. RT @fangraphs: FanGraphs: Trout Versus Cabrera: Offense Only, Context Included http://t.co/UKwZnT9n
heh so even with a stat like RE24 that includes the context of the situation, he comes out ahead. I would have thought Cabrera would be on top in such a statistic considering hitting a 3 run home run would be worth more than say a solo shot. Guess DPs really do bring down your value.
Unlike with context-neutral statistics like wRC+, RE24 takes the number of outs and number of baserunners into account. It does not assume that all home runs are equal, nor does it treat a strikeout with a man on third base and one out as just another out. The rewards for performing with men on base are higher, and the blame for failing in those same situations is steeper as well. This is a metric that essentially quantifies the total offensive value of a player based on the situations that he actually faced. This is not a theoretical metric. If you hit a three run home run, you get more credit than if you hit a solo home run. If you are consistently getting hits with two outs to drive in runs, you get more credit than if those hits come with no outs and the bases empty. And, of course, it’s only an offensive metric, so there’s no defensive component, no position adjustments, and no replacement level. This is just straight up offense, adjusted for the context of the situations that they faced.
So, why is Trout ahead of Cabrera? And, for that matter, why is Cabrera behind even his own teammate, Prince Fielder, as well as two others who are not in the MVP discussion?

It comes back to double plays. I noted a few weeks ago that Cabrera had hit into an AL leading 28 double plays. Turns out, a bunch of those were big-time rally killers. 12 of the 28 double plays Cabrera hit into lowered the run expectancy by at least one run; Trout only had two plate appearances all season where the run expectancy went down that much in a single play.
Ignore defense. Ignore things like going first to third on a single, or taking the extra base on a fly ball. Ignore WAR. Trout still wins. This is how amazing his season actually was. Even if you strip away the things that make Mike Trout special, he was still the best offensive performer in the American League this year, even while starting the season in the minors. This isn’t just the best performance of 2012 – it’s one of the best individual performances in the history of baseball.

cashman

Banned
Ignore defense. Ignore things like going first to third on a single, or taking the extra base on a fly ball. Ignore WAR. Trout still wins. This is how amazing his season actually was. Even if you strip away the things that make Mike Trout special, he was still the best offensive performer in the American League this year, even while starting the season in the minors. This isn’t just the best performance of 2012 – it’s one of the best individual performances in the history of baseball.

4th on his team in RBIs. Not impressed

Enron

Banned
Jim Salisbury of the Daily News says that BJ Upton will be the Phils #1 target this offseason. I would rather they get Hamilton but they have to add at least #1 OF no matter what. I wouldnt be to surprised if they add both in the 3rd base market is a graveyard.

Hamilton and Howard contracts on the Phillies? Please God let this happen.

Annoucing crews for tomorrow. Ron Darling on duty!

5:00: NL wild-card game: St. Louis at Atlanta (Brian Anderson, Ron Darling, Joe Simpson, Tom Verducci)
8:30: AL wild-card game: Baltimore at Texas (Ernie Johnson, John Smoltz, Cal Ripken, Craig Sager)

xbhaskarx

This is brilliant

Scenes from Moneyball II

Peter Brand: Okay. People who run ball clubs, they think in terms of buying players. Your goal shouldn't be to buy players, your goal should be to buy Brandons. And in order to buy Brandons, you need to buy Brandons.

Billy Beane: Wait, what?

Brand: You're trying to replace Brandon Allen. The Boston Red Sox see Brandon Allen and they see a Brandon who's worth seven-and-a-half Brandon bucks. When I see Brandon Allen, what I see is ... is... an imperfect understanding of where Brandons come from.

Beane: This isn't ...

Brand: There's a whole ocean of Brandons under our feet! No one can get at it but me! Brandon Allen, Brandon Moss, Brandon Hicks, Brandon McCarthy, Brandon Inge …

Brand: /does line of powdered Brandon

Also for the A's fans who are not in the area, here is Beane getting pied by Reddick:
http://www.csncalifornia.com/pages/video?PID=aAjS_aLiQLxtnbiTtaPcy7ePgWTWdwoY

JABEE

I don't really think BJ Upton is the answer. I also don't see how the Phillies can free hole at 3B through free agency. The Phillies should have signed Cespedes last offseason. His RH power bat would have helped this lineup immensely.

I wish the Phillies would just stop throwing money at FA's. Mayberry and Brown did fine. Don't know how Schierholtz did though.

Jangocube

Banned
Joe Saunders is starting tomorrow for us............not sure how I feel about that.......

Oh, and I just talked to some people that were at the Yankees little party after the game yesterday. Apparently A-Rod hooked up with Jenny McCarthy in the bathroom at whatever club they were at. Sloppy Jim Carrey seconds.......oh A-Rod.

Windu

Joe Saunders is starting tomorrow for us............not sure how I feel about that.......
I have no idea what to expect from these games. Any team can win a one game playoff, even the Astros would probably have a 40% chance.

I have no idea what to expect from these games. Anyone team can win a one game playoff, even the Astros would probably have a 40% chance.

I agree with Chipper. I think a three-game series would be more appropriate. Also, the division series needs to be expanded to seven games.

I agree with Chipper. I think a three-game series would be more appropriate. Also, the division series needs to be expanded to seven games.

It could work if the season starts a bit earlier, like the beginning of the last week of March. A team with a large lead in the WC losing a one-game play-in is hardly fair, I feel.

It could work if the season starts a bit earlier, like the beginning of the last week of March. A team with a large lead in the WC losing a one-game play-in is hardly fair, I feel.

One game playoffs assure huge excitement, but also guarantee that the loser's fans will be SALTY AS FUCK.

I can't wait.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
If you want to expand the playoffs, just shorten the season to 150, go to an 8 seed playoffs like NHL and we good. It would be much better for everyone. The only thing really lost would be if a team has the title of wild card. Otherwise there would still be Division Champs and home field advantages.

Sanjuro

No, he never came close to those vesting options. So it's one season of Bay for $16 million. Mets have already announced Duda or someone else as the starting LFer.

Of course, they could buy him out for $9 million I think.

He needs 600 for this season to get it. He might still get it in. Can play first base since Ike is coming to Boston.

Windu

If you want to expand the playoffs, just shorten the season to 150, go to an 8 seed playoffs like NHL and we good. It would be much better for everyone. The only thing really lost would be if a team has the title of wild card. Otherwise there would still be Division Champs and home field advantages.
baseball would never short or expand the season again. the records are too important.

Yeah, well, the season isn't ever going to be shortened, so you have to make cuts somewhere else if you want to tweak the playoffs. Someone mentioned bringing back doubleheaders, which sounds nice.

Link

The Autumn Wind
He needs 600 for this season to get it. He might still get it in. Can play first base since Ike is coming to Boston.
oh-you-show.jpg

Malo

Banned
Dear god no. The playoffs would be two months long.

Sanjuro

I just don't see any scenario where Trout wins. They should just give him a copy of Moneyball, gift card to Starbucks, and a Prius for his accomplishments.

IOCgP.jpg

It works for hockey to have long playoffs, but it would suck for baseball. Three man rotations, endless substitutions for favorable matchups, 4 hour games...ugh.

The regular season is far more interesting, IMO. 162 games is so long that these ebbs and flows of player/team performance, the effects of roster changes and injuries, etc. really jump out and create 30 individual stories a year. Other sports don't have anything on baseball in that regard.

zulux21

not only that but at least for me the main reason I can't get into hockey is because of the way they have their playoffs set up... it makes the season so utterly meaningless when it doesn't even get rid of half of the teams

Was Jason Bay ever a popular player in Boston? Seems like the obvious thing for the Mets is to bang on the doors of Boston and try to work out a trade.

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
Some ranty thoughts on the Rangers game tomorrow and my broken feelings towards this team:

-Playing at home helps us a lot and I have faith in Darvish to do his part against the O's because he has been solid as of late and .....unless the rest of the teams' guilt complex about losing big games contaminates him somehow. Maybe the Rangers will get lucky and get past this risky one game series and garner enough confidence from it to get in a groove.

-Assuming we lose on Friday, I'm officially done as a Rangers fan, and converting to a casual fair-weather playoff fan. 20+ years of watching this team and waiting, hoping and praying just to be disappointed in the end. I was at Kenny Rogers' perfect game and still have the Will Clark fan appreciation shirt I got, and have a ball signed by Nolan near the end of his regime, and countless other vintage Rangers paraphernalia but if we choke in the WC game, everything's going on ebay, and at least I'll come away with $20 or so.

-Assuming we lose on Friday, I'm officially done as a Rangers fan, and converting to a casual fair-weather playoff fan. 20+ years of watching this team and waiting, hoping and praying just to be disappointed in the end. I was at Kenny Rogers' perfect game and still have the Will Clark fan appreciation shirt I got, and have a ball signed by Nolan near the end of his regime, and countless other vintage Rangers paraphernalia but if we choke in the WC game, everything's going on ebay, and at least I'll come away with $20 or so.

God, give it a rest. You're like a Branduil alt. The Rangers have been in the World Series the last two years and at least made the playoffs for the third straight year. You know damn well you're not doing any of that shit and will be right back next year.

zulux21

here's hoping the tigers can do well and win it all... though really I don't care to much in general.. I likely won't watch any of the games until the world series and I will likely only watch the world series if the nats/o's/a's or tigers are in it lol, just looking forward to the off season and seeing what a new GM will bring to the table.

So explain this "WAR" argument for Trout. Cabrera's was 7.2. If the Tigers lose 7 games, the Sox win the division. Are the people arguing this sabremetrics shit even paying attention to that?

RBH

This is a god awful idea.

Windu

so anyway, capitol avenue club makes the suggestion that the braves be aggressive against Loshe because the best chance is to catch one of those sinkers that he leaves up in the zone and you don't want to get into a deep count where he can throw that fastball down and you pound it into the ground. not to mention him having good control won't mean many free passes. It will be interesting to see how they go about hitting him. Lohse is a weak contact type guy that relies on spotting his pitching etc.. so I think that being aggressive might be the correct observation.

http://capitolavenueclub.com/?p=7906
http://capitolavenueclub.com/?p=7913

Top Bottom