• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
ibquRG31SRRB2F.png
postseason predictions

McNei1y

What do I do! I have tickets to the Redskins game on Sunday... and its just a random Redskins regular season game... The Nats are playing at 3ish. I think I've gotta get rid of these tickets so I can watch the first playoff game in Nats history.

I'm nervous for the O's and there not even my primary team. I can't imagine what all of you Cards/Braves/O's/Rangers fans are going through!
Low expectations because under the previous format, we wouldn't even be here and going up against the hottest pitcher in baseball doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Plus, it's hard to be nervous when we won it all last year in such awesome fashion. Nothing we realistically can do in 2012 will top 2011.

Kingbrave

What do I do! I have tickets to the Redskins game on Sunday... and its just a random Redskins regular season game... The Nats are playing at 3ish. I think I've gotta get rid of these tickets so I can watch the first playoff game in Nats history.

I know it's not the same but I just got an email saying that the Atbat app was free for the post season. As a 'Skins fan and a Braves fan, I'd go Braves but I love baseball more.

cashman

Banned

For the first playoff game ever? Yeah man ditch those tickets fast. 10/6/2010 Was of the best days of my life.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Low expectations because under the previous format, we wouldn't even be here and going up against the hottest pitcher in baseball doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Plus, it's hard to be nervous when we won it all last year in such awesome fashion. Nothing we realistically can do in 2012 will top 2011.
Medlen's changeup is best against Lefties which the cardinals don't have much of. His curve isn't as reliable which he uses to get righties out. He can hang a few of them and give up HRs. If he has control of it, then it might be a long game, if not...

This game will probably be 1-0, 2-1 though.

Medlen's changeup is best against Lefties which the cardinals don't have much of. His curve isn't as reliable which he uses to get righties out. He can hang a few of them and give up HRs. If he has control of it, then it might be a long game, if not...

This game will probably be 1-0, 2-1 though.
Outside of Medlen, the Braves still have the edge in defense, bullpen, and home field. All of which can be huge in a close game.

And wouldn't it be a quick and short game if Medlen is "on"? :lol

I'll be at work during the Braves game. Still undecided if this is a good thing or not. I suppose it remains to be seen.

My biggest concern is the offense putting it together. This whole one game thing. I don't like it.

Braves/Cardinals thoughts:

-- I think the absolute key for the Cardinals in this game is to score on Kris Medlen in the first inning. If Medlen has any jitters at all, they will be gone after the first inning. The Braves have a lot of trouble in games where they fall behind in the first inning. It tends to get in their heads a little bit.

Likewise, if the Braves score an early run or two and get Medlen a quick lead, it may be a long day for the Cardinals.

-- This will be a low-scoring game either way unless the Cardinals middle relief gets called in if Lohse's pitch count gets elevated early. The Edward Mujica/Mitchell Boggs/Jason Motte trio is solid, but everything before that is very vulnerable. If they use Lance Lynn out of the bullpen, this may help shore that up. However the Cards only have two left-handers in their bullpen (Mark Rzepczynski and Sam Freeman), whereas the Braves have three (Eric O'Flaherty, Jonny Venters, and Luis Avilan). Lefty starter Mike Minor is also on the roster, but is not expected to be needed.

The only real vulnerabilities in the Braves bullpen are Venters and Chad Durbin. 2012 Venters is a far cry from the 2010/2011 version. Durbin is at his best when called upon to strand runners. If he has to start a clean inning and get three outs, he is vulnerable too.

Ideally for the Cardinals, they want 6 out of Lohse and hand it to Mujica/Boggs/Motte. The Braves want 7 out of Medlen and hand it to O'Flaherty/Craig Kimbrel.

-- The Cardinals have to keep Michael Bourn and Martin Prado off base. They are the key table-setters. Likewise, the Braves have to keep Carlos Beltran and Matt Holliday off base. The two biggest threats in the lineup are Allen Craig and Yadier Molina. Keeping Beltran and Holliday off base will limit the damage they can do.

-- You probably won't see many stolen base attempts today with Molina and David Ross catching.

I'm nervous for the O's and there not even my primary team. I can't imagine what all of you Cards/Braves/O's/Rangers fans are going through!

are you insane? playoffs over regular season any time!

Brashnir

Set the DVR and avoid spoilers.

Fuck the Redskins, go watch the Nats play

Braves/Cardinals thoughts:

-- I think the absolute key for the Cardinals in this game is to score on Kris Medlen in the first inning. If Medlen has any jitters at all, they will be gone after the first inning. The Braves have a lot of trouble in games where they fall behind in the first inning. It tends to get in their heads a little bit.

Likewise, if the Braves score an early run or two and get Medlen a quick lead, it may be a long day for the Cardinals.

-- This will be a low-scoring game either way unless the Cardinals middle relief gets called in if Lohse's pitch count gets elevated early. The Edward Mujica/Mitchell Boggs/Jason Motte trio is solid, but everything before that is very vulnerable. If they use Lance Lynn out of the bullpen, this may help shore that up. However the Cards only have two left-handers in their bullpen (Mark Rzepczynski and Sam Freeman), whereas the Braves have three (Eric O'Flaherty, Jonny Venters, and Luis Avilan). Lefty starter Mike Minor is also on the roster, but is not expected to be needed.

The only real vulnerabilities in the Braves bullpen are Venters and Chad Durbin. 2012 Venters is a far cry from the 2010/2011 version. Durbin is at his best when called upon to strand runners. If he has to start a clean inning and get three outs, he is vulnerable too.

Ideally for the Cardinals, they want 6 out of Lohse and hand it to Mujica/Boggs/Motte. The Braves want 7 out of Medlen and hand it to O'Flaherty/Craig Kimbrel.

-- The Cardinals have to keep Michael Bourn and Martin Prado off base. They are the key table-setters. Likewise, the Braves have to keep Carlos Beltran and Matt Holliday off base. The two biggest threats in the lineup are Allen Craig and Yadier Molina. Keeping Beltran and Holliday off base will limit the damage they can do.

-- You probably won't see many stolen base attempts today with Molina and David Ross catching.
IOW, teams that fall behind early are at a disadvantage, middle relief pitchers suck so it's best if they don't have to be used, and keeping the other team from getting on base will limit their attempts to score? ;)

The Cards have a greater tendency to score in the first inning than the Braves do but they also have given up more 1st inning runs as well. Should be a good game
of course when I said that before these two teams first met in the regular season, we got fucking destroyed

Fenix

Oh yeah, need to put in my last minute picks:

Rangers over Orioles
Atlanta over St. Louis

Rangers over Yankees
Tigers over A's
Nats over Atlanta
Cincy over SF

Rangers over Tigers
Washington over Cincy

Washington over Rangers

That Postseason TV thing MLB has looks interesting, with the choice of camera angles and fixed cameras you can tune into on the fly. Did they have this last year, and how is it?

I'm not here to make friends.

Orioles over Rangers
Cardinals over Braves

Orioles over Yankees
A's over Tigers
Cardinals over Nats
Giants over Cincinnati

Orioles over A's
Cardinals over Giants

Cardinals over Orioles

Fuck you all.

That Postseason TV thing MLB has looks interesting, with the choice of camera angles and fixed cameras you can tune into on the fly. Did they have this last year, and how is it?

They had it last year and it was fine. Pretty cool to check out the different cameras and be your own director of the game. No worrying about those awkward moments when the camera man lingers on a little boy in the crowd a little too long. Only thing is the camera operators constantly zoom in and zoom out which can be a bit annoying. There is definitely a skill to it and whoever is doing it isn't as good as the typical network guys. Lots of close ups of shoes.

Jubs

If medlen wins or loses, does it count for/against his streak? Or is it a strictly regular season record?

Either way you should be watching one of your teams lose to Atlanta.

Top Bottom