• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

newjeruse

I went to the Ibanez game with my boy. Paid my tix as a bday gift. The first four innings were so damn quiet. My friend, who is a big time Yanks fan, said this was not a playoff crowd. Old Yankee Stadium so freakin loud n fans were into every pitch. Martins double in the third of fourth brought the fans out of their stupor.
I was there too. The section I was in was so empty in extra innings you would think they were playing the Royals in July.

clemenx

Banned
Jayson Werth cupcake.

werthcupcakebls.jpg

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Good lord, some old guy just called in and asked if they Yankees would think about trading Arod... smh.

Somebody on Twitter yesterday asked a Braves reporter if Atlanta would want to send a prospect to the Yankees for A-Rod. Laughter ensued.

Edit: Haha, good timing Lamb.

Orioles Game 5 Lineup:

1. Nate McLouth - LF
2. J.J. Hardy - SS
3. Chris Davis - RF
4. Adam Jones - CF
5. Matt Wieters - C
6. Manny Machado - 3B
7. Mark Reynolds - 1B
8. Lew Ford - DH
9. Robert Andino - 2B
SP - Jason Hammel

Yankees Game 5 Lineup:

1. Derek Jeter - SS
2. Ichiro Suzuki - LF
3. Robinson Cano - 2B
4. Mark Teixeira - 1B
5. Raul Ibanez - DH
6. Nick Swisher - RF
7. Curtis Granderson - CF
8. Russel Martin - C
9. Eric Chavez - 3B
SP - C.C. Sabathia

Sanjuro

Orioles Game 5 Lineup:

1. Nate McLouth - LF
2. J.J. Hardy - SS
3. Chris Davis - RF
4. Adam Jones - CF
5. Matt Wieters - C
6. Manny Machado - 3B
7. Mark Reynolds - 1B
8. Lew Ford - DH
9. Robert Andino - 2B
SP - Jason Hammel

Yankees Game 5 Lineup:

1. Derek Jeter - SS
2. Ichiro Suzuki - LF
3. Robinson Cano - 2B
4. Mark Teixeira - 1B
5. Raul Ibanez - DH
6. Nick Swisher - RF
8. Russel Martin - C
9. Eric Chavez - 3B
SP - C.C. Sabathia

I have twenty million reasons to laugh.

sangreal

Orioles Game 5 Lineup:

1. Nate McLouth - LF
2. J.J. Hardy - SS
3. Chris Davis - RF
4. Adam Jones - CF
5. Matt Wieters - C
6. Manny Machado - 3B
7. Mark Reynolds - 1B
8. Lew Ford - DH
9. Robert Andino - 2B
SP - Jason Hammel

Yankees Game 5 Lineup:

1. Derek Jeter - SS
2. Ichiro Suzuki - LF
3. Robinson Cano - 2B
4. Mark Teixeira - 1B
5. Raul Ibanez - DH
6. Nick Swisher - RF
8. Russel Martin - C
9. Eric Chavez - 3B
SP - C.C. Sabathia

cant believe they really benched arod

Go to ALDS game, sit in last row with gale winds blowing on your neck, Yankees lose in 13 innings, 4 train makes all local stops, get home at 2 AM. Bleh.

Hell of a game though.

Also holy crap at A-Rod sitting. Granderson looks worse though.

Cloudy

Banned

It's such bullshit. Now the media has a scapegoat if they lose. Why not bench Granderson too? Jeter and Ibanez are the only guys hitting anything. Maybe the O's pitching is just good?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
That doesn't make any sense. What does Arods contract have to do with Joe? And how would sacking Joe help help with Arod?

The fundamental purpose of a manager is to manage 25 guys egos and to keep them in line. Benching him in a lose and go home game for Eric Chavez is pretty much the biggest sign of disrespect there is. Arod will feel like his manager is throwing him under the bus - which he totally is and he'll demand a trade in the offseason, the Yankees will find no takers nor have any real interest in giving him away and then the Yankees will dump Girardi to appease his ego along with the other babies on the Yanks.

Makes plenty of sense!

Go to ALDS game, sit in last row with gale winds blowing on your neck, Yankees lose in 13 innings, 4 train makes all local stops, get home at 2 AM. Bleh.

Hell of a game though.

I also agree Granderson looks worse. But Ibanez is a liability in the field. Andruw's not on the roster. Gardner can't do anything but pinch run.

This is all Joe could do.

Cloudy

Banned
Unreal. Even Torre didn't bench A-Rod in the playoffs. I can't believe the disrespect shown to this guy. He needs to let them buyout his contract and go to a team who won't throw him under the bus when he's in a slump

Unreal. Even Torre didn't bench A-Rod in the playoffs. I can't believe the disrespect shown to this guy. He needs to let them buyout his contract and go to a team who won't throw him under the bus when he's in a slump

Moving A-Rod down to #8 was more of an insult than benching, in my opinion.

The fundamental purpose of a manager is to manage 25 guys egos and to keep them in line. Benching him in a lose and go home game for Eric Chavez is pretty much the biggest sign of disrespect there is. Arod will feel like his manager is throwing him under the bus - which he totally is and he'll demand a trade in the offseason, the Yankees will find no takers nor have any real interest in giving him away and then the Yankees will dump Girardi to appease his ego along with the other babies on the Yanks.

Makes plenty of sense!

Don't it doesn't. Arod wouldn't demand a trade and nobody with 2 functioning brain cells thinks benching him is the wrong move- he's 0-12 with 9 strikeouts this series against RHPs. Girardi put him right back at third yesterday after pinch hitting him, gave him every chance to prove himself, and Arod came up short again. The Yankees need to win, this is not the time to stroke his ego. And not only that but the Steinbrenners have already said Girardi would be back next year.

So you obviously have no idea what you're talking about, which isn't surprising considering your pony avatar.

Girardi didn't sign Arods contract. I have no idea what point you're making.

if Chavez strikes out three times and comes up in a key situation, Girardi wll get blamed.

I have twenty million reasons to laugh.

29 million reasons actually.

I also agree Granderson looks worse. But Ibanez is a liability in the field. Andruw's not on the roster. Gardner can't do anything but pinch run.

This is all Joe could do.

Gardner actually can.

quiet you.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Don't it doesn't. Arod wouldn't demand a trade and nobody with 2 functioning brain cells thinks benching him is the wrong move- he's 0-12 with 9 strikeouts this series against RHPs. Girardi put him right back at third yesterday after pinch hitting him, gave him every chance to prove himself, and Arod came up short again. The Yankees need to win, this is not the time to stroke his ego. And not only that but the Steinbrenners have already said Girardi would be back next year.

So you obviously have no idea what you're talking about, which isn't surprising considering your pony avatar.

One night only.

And yes A-Rod has been shit this series. So have plenty of other Yankees. And management is supposed to say hes going to back next year, what else are they going to say?

Makes plenty of sense!

you are a pony.

One night only.

And yes A-Rod has been shit this series. So have plenty of other Yankees. And management is supposed to say hes going to back next year, what else are they going to say?

don't make any guarantees on anyone's job.

I think Joe's decision had less to do with punishing A-Rod and more to do with trying to capture lightning in a bottle with Ibanez in a do-or-die game. If Ibanez didn't save Game 3, I think A-Rod will still be in there.

Fox318

Trade him to the Marlins for Reyes and Mark Buehrle. Move Jeter over to third so he can pass Pete Rose.

if Chavez strikes out three times and comes up in a key situation, Girardi wll get blamed.

The only people who will blame him are the idiot monday morning quarterbacks who predict the future after it happens. This decision was made by all the coaches and management, it was the right move, regardless of what Chavez does tonight.

Top Bottom