• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

I hear Ned needs a third baseman.

A9h60.jpg
We'll give you our entire farm for KKKKKK-Rod.

It's a deal.

Against the Orioles the Yankees batted .211

Against the Tigers the Yankees are batting .182 or .162 minus Valverde (3 hits, 5 AB)

Against the Tigers the A's batted .194 or .175 minus Valverde (4 hits, 6 AB)

Also...

Against the Yankees the Tigers are batting .259

Against the A's the Tigers batted .252

My point? The yanks went from .211 to .162 from the O's to the Tigers. Similar to the A's .175 against the Tigers. Tigers pitching is dominant right now. A big part of the reason for the Yankees struggling as much as they are is Tiger pitching. In contrast the Tigers BA is about the same across the two different series they played.

Carlbeego

Against the Orioles the Yankees batted .211

Against the Tigers the Yankees are batting .182 or .162 minus Valverde (3 hits, 5 AB)

Against the Tigers the A's batted .194 or .175 minus Valverde (4 hits, 6 AB)

Also...

Against the Yankees the Tigers are batting .259

Against the A's the Tigers batted .252

My point? The yanks went from .211 to .162 from the O's to the Tigers. Similar to the A's .175 against the Tigers. Tigers pitching is dominant right now. A big part of the reason for the Yankees struggling as much as they are is Tiger pitching. In contrast the Tigers BA is about the same across the two different series they played.

Yankee hitters are just trash right now. And wtf is this minus Valverde shit?

Baltimore could say the same shit. Batting such and such minus Jim Johnson.

Mully

Yankee pitching is amazing right now. We can't hit for shit until it's too goddamn late. Fuck I'm depressed right now. I guess tomorrow will be fun if we do pull one out of our ass.

there is no shame in losing, at least they made it (somewhat) far. haters will still try to fill their shallow(sports) lives with our loses, which will be few.
but on the real, we need to restock the farm system.

neoemonk

As a Tigers fan I'm nervous. CC will probably shut down our already anemic offense. It's not like the Tigers have been scoring a ton of runs. Fielder has disappeared and they are pitching to Cabby extremely well.

I know it's a skewed perception but it seems like Delmon Young either goes yard or strikes out.

Anyway, Detroit needs to close this thing down before going back to New York, lest I fear a terrible comeback.

turnbuckle

I don't want to ever hear this bullshit about how good pitching wins championships again

Giants won with great pitching not too long ago.
Yankees are on the verge of elimination because of the Tiger's starting pitching.

Good pitching tends to be more consistent than good hitting, especially if the pitcher's have good K/9 and K/BB rates. All four of Detroit's starters are very good to excellent in that regard which helps offset the woes of our infield defense.

Of course you can win it all with average pitching if you have a lineup that's on fire and/or facing a team with below average pitching. Hell, you can have the best team on paper and lose to the worst in a best of 7 series. But in general smart money is on the team with the best ability to prevent runs, not the team most equipped to score.

CC could breathe some life back into the Yanks tonight. If good pitching didn't matter there'd be no reason to have hope with him on the mound. I'm surprised they didn't have him go head to head with Verlander yesterday. Max is more apt to give up some runs than Verlander and Detroit will definitely have to use their bullpen. NY has a better chance of winning with CC today than with CC yesterday because of Detroit's starter, but overall I think the Yankees would have had a better chance of winning both if CC started game 3.

cashman

Banned
As a Tigers fan I'm nervous. CC will probably shut down our already anemic offense. It's not like the Tigers have been scoring a ton of runs. Fielder has disappeared and they are pitching to Cabby extremely well.

I know it's a skewed perception but it seems like Delmon Young either goes yard or strikes out.

Anyway, Detroit needs to close this thing down before going back to New York, lest I fear a terrible comeback.

Not well enough apparently. He's got a 365/500/455 slashline in these 3 games.

turnbuckle

The only good thing that could come out of this ALCS is if Dombrowski gives Delmon a contract extension.

Not gonna happen. Minnesota is going to sign him to a multi-year deal because he's learned how to beat the Yankees in the postseason. How many times in the past 4-5 seasons have the Twins made the postseason without Delmon? Intangibles!

Now go back in your hole and sulk some more while the rest of us enjoy the Yankees collapse under the might of the Tigers (and the weight of Valverde, Fielder, Cabrera, Laird, and Young)

Fox318

Yankees would have to eat up at least 100mil to get rid of AROD..yikes

They did it with AJ.

Remember that Arod has veto power with where he is traded.

So its pretty much Miami or nothing.

Maybe the Yankees can eat a ton of money and trade him to the Mets for Jason Bay and Wright?

Frankman always seemed like an Arod guy.

see5harp

I hope the game is delayed. For some reason I thought it started at 3 PM PST and thought I'd be able to skip out of work early. 1 PM is too early.

Yankees would have to eat up at least 100mil to get rid of AROD..yikes

He's owed 120 million over the next 5 years. So how about this- trade him the the Marlins for a 3B or a couple of prospects, and agree to pay for half the remaining contract. So they'd still have to eat $60 million, but they lose the drama, get a few prospects back, and actually be in pretty good shape finally going forward, since Arods contract is the last really bad one looming over them. And the Marlins would get a hometown hero (still?) that could draw a crowd (maybe?) and put up decent numbers (sorta?), for 12 million/ year.

Brinbe

Would be better off trading him to the Marlins, if you wanna send him home. That would work, if there's any chance that Loria's cheap ass would go for it.

http://keitholbermann.mlblogs.com/2012/10/17/exclusive-yanks-marlins-talk-a-rod-trade/

oh there you go, that didn't take long.

The New York Yankees have held discussions with the Miami Marlins about a trade involving their third baseman in crisis, Alex Rodriguez.

Sources close to both organizations confirm the Yankees would pay all – or virtually all – of the $114,000,000 Rodriguez is owed in a contract that runs through the rest of this season and the next five. One alternative scenario has also been discussed in which the Yankees would pay less of Rodriguez’s salary, but would obtain the troubled Marlins’ reliever Heath Bell and pay what remains of the three-year, $27,000,000 deal Bell signed last winter...

But to a Marlins’ franchise facing financial calamity after the failure of its combination of splashy free agent signings, a high-profile new manager, and a brand new downtown stadium, a “free” Alex Rodriguez has serious upside. He grew up in the community, owns an incredibly high-priced home there that he has been unable to move, and might be refreshed by both the release from the New York cauldron, and a possible move from third base to first base with his new club. Such a position change would be blocked in New York by the presence of first baseman Mark Teixeira and the club’s self-perceived need to rotate the aging Yankee regulars in the Designated Hitter spot.

eznark

Banned
^ Makes sense.

Like 45 minutes til fucko mcdicktwist takes a pitch to the throat and hopefully dies on the field.

Don't let me down, Cain!

OK SuperMalo's avatar cracked me up.

Didn't catch most of the game last night because I was watching the debate.

Can't watch tonight's game because I'm watching the debate, too. There must be a debate on. Somewhere. I'll find one.

mernst23

Speaking of Arod, I just got offered him and Dan Haren for Matt Harvey in a keeper league.

Yea i know, no one gives a shit about my team; but wow how the mighty have fallen.

Fox318

OK SuperMalo's avatar cracked me up.

Didn't catch most of the game last night because I was watching the debate.

Can't watch tonight's game because I'm watching the debate, too. There must be a debate on. Somewhere. I'll find one.

The debate of who won the pre-debate debate, debate-debate debate, and post-debate debate.

Top Bottom