• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
fuck you umps
fuck you umps
fuck you umps
fuck you umps
fuck you umpsfuck you umps
fuck you umps
fuck you umps
fuck you umpsfuck you umpsfuck you umpsfuck you umpsfuck you umpsfuck you umpsfuck you umpsfuck you umpsfuck you umpsfuck you umpsfuck you umpsfuck you umpsfuck you umps

KQBaX.jpg

Levyne

Banned
A quick google tells me that the infield fly rule doesn't require that it be caught in the infield, or by an infielder.

Mrbob

Actually normally braves fans are pretty chill. Maybe a little too chill to be honest.

This is an uncommon show of passion.

Season is on the line and we just had the baseball equivalent of this just happen:

jerry-rice-fumble-300x181.jpg

Or more recently the Russell Wilson TD INT. Packers do tend to get screwed by the refs!

somedevil

From the ESPN chat from a moderator:

Dan Szymborski:
Get everyone back onto the field, reverse the call, bring in a new ump, have Fredi Gonzalez give Holbrook a stone-cold stunner. Again, professional wrestling knows how to script these situations.

eznark

Banned
Can't wait for MLB to decide this is the correct call and now this bullshit will be called all year long.

Fly ball to left? Meh who cares if you catch it, auto out!

lucius

Couldn't the other umpires get together and say, "hey I think you got that one wrong" and change it or is that not possible?

Brinbe

As bad as the call was, the way they're handling it right now is worse. Either change it or play on already

JHall

Couldn't the other umpires get together and say, "hey I think you got that one wrong" and change it or is that not possible?

It's possible to ask for help from another umpire.

But, that never happens. Umps are too proud to admit that they make mistakes.

squicken

in the history of me watching sports i cannot recall playing under protest ever amounting to anything. they either fix it then and there or it's done

Yeah, NFL refs usually huddle together for a big call, why not baseball. Other umps need to grow some balls and should of overrode that shit.

Downhome

Lifelong Braves fan here. Ugh, maybe the worst call I've ever seen in a baseball game. Talk about being ripped off. Now I know how the Packers fans felt.

This sure is a sight to see being played out though, how freakin' weird and an incredible screwjob.

What happens if the protest is confirmed or whatever? They they later start playing a game at the same point, or scratch this one out entirely and do it over again? I seriously have no clue.

That has to be a world record for the deepest infield fly ever.

If MLB had instant replay this shit would've been corrected 15 minutes ago and this game would probably be over, but no, no, no, instant replay would make games last far too long.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So if the Braves end up winning this game regardless of that call, what happens if they also win the protest? Would they have to give up the win and go back to the 8th inning?

Top Bottom