• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

bozeman

Good that we finally got some hits. Tim looked so sympathetic when FOX would zoom into him on the mound.

Glad we got to that bullpen a little bit, too. Hopefully Lynn doesn't shit the bed tomorrow night. I'm trying to get out of a prior commitment to watch the game.

Jangocube

Banned
Hey Yankees, thanks for cheating then completely fucking sucking in the next series. Really screwed the pooch on that one.

We'll trade you ARod for Betemit, you take Arod's salary.

DiscoJer

Watching the replay of Holliday's second RBI, I laughed watching Matt Carpenter sort of belly flop/hop onto home after his slide missed touching it.

Yeah. I still don't get why Posey was playing 1B instead of C. He makes that play pretty easily. But thanks for the free run.

If the Cardinals clinch on Friday, both teams will have to wait five days to start the World Series.

I expect it to go back to SF, Lynn likely is worn out.

Anyway, shades of 2006, when Detroit sat around for a week and apparently forgot how to field.

Good that we finally got some hits. Tim looked so sympathetic when FOX would zoom into him on the mound.

Glad we got to that bullpen a little bit, too. Hopefully Lynn doesn't shit the bed tomorrow night. I'm trying to get out of a prior commitment to watch the game.
I felt sorry for Timmy during his postgame interview. :-(

Really glad Waino and our offense gave our good bullpen arms a day off. They will be busy tomorrow. I hope Matheny has a faster hook this time. Lynn was ace through three innings but clearly ran out of gas.

The lucky woman who received Arod's ball during the game he was benched.
kyna-treacy-model-bra.jpeg

Blearth

Banned
I will be extremely disappointed if we can't at least bring the series back home. I just want to see AT&T park alive one more time before April. :(

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
So Buster Posey (obviously) wins NL Comeback Player of the Year. Fernando Rodney won in the AL. Ooooookay then. Not who I was expecting.

zulux21

So Buster Posey (obviously) wins NL Comeback Player of the Year. Fernando Rodney won in the AL. Ooooookay then. Not who I was expecting.

while I am glad adam dunn didn't win comeback player, I really don't feel Rodney deserved it as his season wasn't so much a comeback season as his first great season.
edit: personally I think I would have given it to alex rios.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
while I am glad adam dunn didn't win comeback player, I really don't feel Rodney deserved it as his season wasn't so much a comeback season as his first great season.
edit: personally I think I would have given it to alex rios.
I would've thought Dunn, Rios, or Mauer, probably in that order, though I'd disagree with it.

Dunn was worth -3.0 fWAR in 2011 (holy shit!) and 1.7 in 2012. That's a pretty huge swing, but I don't know. He'd been worth 3+ wins several times, so I don't know if he's all the way back, but at least he isn't totally sucking. He hit 41 dongers, so I assumed this would push him ahead in the minds of the voters.

Rios was worth -0.8 fWAR in 2011, and 4.3 in 2012. An even bigger swing. I assume this is due largely in part to his 1.361 OPS against the Twins this year (I expected about twice that to be honest). This is up there with some of Rios' best seasons.

Mauer was worth 1.5 fWAR in 2011, and 5.0 in 2012. He had an average Joe Mauer year after dealing with injuries for most of 2011. The difference was maybe a bit more pronounced around here since (some) people stopped insinuating he was a pussy all year long.

I'm a bit biased towards Mauer since he's my favorite player, and his comeback was from injuries and not just playing terribly, but I think Rios would've been a good choice too. Certainly better than Rodney.

But hey, Rodney had 48 saves and a sweet ERA. Can't argue with that!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Why does that make you feel better? Your team could be World Series-bound if your management wasn't obsessed with the nebulous "future."

Obviously he looks at how much of a scrub Tim Lincecum is now and tells himself that is what Strasburg would have been if management didn't save him from throwing another gargantuan 20 innings this year.

Well... (cracks knuckles) As a Royals fan who went into hibernation six weeks ago, I guess it's time to wake up and root against the Cards again. I'm glad the Yankees didn't win. I only could've rooted for a meteor strike.

Top Bottom