• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

Fox318

Just got home from alot of drinking and game watching. yaaaaaaaayyyyyy

WAR, what is it good for? Absolutely nothing!

ltbim.jpg

I like how Joe Buck has been sucking the Cardinals' dick for being "magical" for their comeback. Yet he hasn't mentioned once that the Giants came back from two games down to go on to beat the Reds with three wins straight, all of which were away games.
The only problem I see here is you worrying about what Joe Buck even says.

According to WAR who is going to win the World Series? Who was the favorite coming in? Oh they are eliminated already?

The "wrong" teams are going?! How can this be...

Are you thinking of wins?

It looks to me like the Cardinals led MLB in WAR. So WAR would have been a better predictor than wins for them.

Great game for the Giants. Cards were just sort of a mess. Too many runners left on base, especially in... The third? With runners on second and third with no outs. Really mismanaged and misplayed there.

eznark

Banned
Great game for the Giants. Cards were just sort of a mess. Too many runners left on base, especially in... The third? With runners on second and third with no outs. Really mismanaged and misplayed there.

What would you have done differently? With the 7th guy up in that spot you don't have a ton if options. Squeeze with Molina on third? Lol

What would you have done differently? With the 7th guy up in that spot you don't have a ton if options. Squeeze with Molina on third? Lol

Shoulda batted the pitcher 8th LaRussa style. Or, yeah, squeeze. No one would expect it and (of course this is with hindsight) at worst it's only one out instead of a double play.

eznark

Banned
Shoulda batted the pitcher 8th LaRussa style. Or, yeah, squeeze. No one would expect it and (of course this is with hindsight) at worst it's only one out instead of a double play.

Only thing I would have done different is shackled Lynn.

Series is basically a coin flip now. ~70% odds of the Giants winning each individual game sounds about right. Zito impressed me (especially that bunt single!) but Matheny did not. Lynn should never have faced Crawford, considering the circumstances.

I worry about Game 6. Carp has not been sharp at all and if Matheny did not have the stones/foresight to pull Lynn, it's probably not happening with Carpenter on the mound.

Bochy is one of the best managers in the league. I've always thought that way but the way he takes care of this pitching staff and moves players around and makes it work is just awesome.

JABEE

You realize there is also a pitching WAR right? Whatever, sabr stats suck anyways right? RBI! RBI! RBI! RBI! RBI!

I also don't believe WAR calculates shitty coaching. That would have made a big difference for the Angels and Brewers this season.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Dbacks
Team acquires RHP Heath Bell and cash considerations from @Marlins for Yordy Cabrera

Dbacks
Team acquires INF Cliff Pennington and INF Yordy Cabrera from @Athletics for OF Chris Young @CY24_7 and cash considerations

whoa

cashman

Banned
The marlins firesale has officially begun. Heath Bell traded to the d backs in a 3 team deal that also has the A's acquiring Chris Young, and the A's trading yordy cabrera to the marlins and Cliff Pennington to the Dbacks.

The marlins firesale has officially begun. Heath Bell traded to the d backs in a 3 team deal that also has the A's acquiring Chris Young, and the A's trading yordy cabrera to the marlins and Cliff Pennington to the Dbacks.

Let's not act like Marlins fans are going to be upset about trading Heath Bell. The Marlins are sending cash to the D'Backs for Bell anyways, so the firesale thing doesn't really work.

eznark

Banned

?

If you're a Marlins fan you should be dancing in the street that someone took that contract.

rekameohs

Banned
Best news about this is that it pretty much assures Upton is staying.

EDIT: And apparently Dbacks are only covering 500k of CY's salary, so that doesn't look as bad. Doesn't really seem like a fleece now, just a weird move.

Top Bottom